Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kristy ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 12:19PM

Recently (April 20th), the 1st Presidency issued instructions to church. After a long list of counsel that dealt with the importance of temple ordinances..blah blah blah...I sensed they were building momentum in the church news article I was reading. I knew they would give specific guidance on tithing and donations, after guilting the sheep about the temple ordinances. They must be so worried. I am just guessing the tax free 6 billion a year tithing fund is suffering a bit I am sure.

"Will bishoprics still accept tithing and donations in person?

If a missionary is asked to provide a blessing to someone who has coronavirus symptoms, should the missionary give the blessing? No. Missionaries should not visit people who have tested positive for, exhibit symptoms of, or have been in contact with someone infected with COVID-19. They may minister to them via technology and pray for them.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kristy ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 12:25PM

Here is the link. Is it just me, or are the exhibiting not only "excess laughter", but also a silliness that is cringeworthy during this global pandemic. People are dying, losing their jobs, etc...and these 3 asshats are laughing it up. So weird...but typical of Mormons.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/church/news/in-response-to-covid-19-first-presidency-releases-new-administrative-principles-for-the-church?lang=eng

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 12:43PM

I agree that was not the best photo choice for the article. I think the tone you want to aim for in a Covid-related article is serious but encouraging.

At least the church is specifying that all local laws and orders be respected and followed.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 01:47PM

I can't believe I read the whole thing. Reminds me of their 'worthy' concept. That their bishops etc have to pronounce a member worthy, repeatedly. I detest that about their theological approach.

I agree that the photo is beyond inappropriate for the substance of the article, the topic and the pandemical times we're in.

I also can't believe they're still calling missionaries. Do they just work from home? Technologically, as the article mentions?

In BC where I live, even though we're opening up partially and our numbers are relatively low we're asked not to travel outside our own community. That means don't leave Vancouver to go into it's suburbs. So that's still pretty restrictive.

I wonder about missionaries going around and about. Could be risky for their contacts and themselves. Surely that type of activity must be on hold.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 12:31PM

Wow. This is definitely a "one picture is worth a thousand words" example.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 01:23PM

Minister via technology. That sounds funny.

I agree with summer that it's good they are following the guidelines. What an unholy mess could erupt if not.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.