Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Adam71783 ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 06:58PM

"go to your room!(lockdown)" , "Or the virus(boogeyman, stan, or father) will get you" haha. "And don't come out until we say it is safe from virus" "its for your own good".

Just the feel of it reminds me of my parents sending me to my room and to stay there until we say its ok to come out.

I guess these tactics never end.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 07:16PM

Sounds like you don't take covid seriously.
Will you kill yourself with covid just to own the libs ?
I guess your tactics never end.

Date: May 24, 2020 07:22PM

I do. I think i am one of the few in idaho that has worn a mask throughout all of this. But there are worse things trust me.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 09:02PM

Trust you? Tell that to the 96,000 Americans that buried a loved one. Moron.

Date: May 24, 2020 10:25PM

I've buried loved ones. Its a part of life.

Date: May 24, 2020 10:35PM

Seen good friends in caskets, carried caskets. Family in caskets. Part of life. I know that seems harsh but we are not immortal in the end.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 07:29PM

Except the virus has killed 100,000 and counting. And that's just in the US. How many did your bogeyman get? Fake satan. Fake bogeyman. real virus. You really need to factor reality into the equation.

A couple days ago I mentioned that Brazil is poised to overtake the US in total new deaths per day. And that was just in raw numbers. They had already overtaken us in per-capita rates.

Looks like today is the day. The day is not over, but they are leading the US in daily deaths for today. Since they are 2/3rds of our population, they are actually running 50% ahead of us on a per capita basis. (math question for y'all: why are they 50% ahead, and not 33%?)

And their numbers are still climbing steeply. US governors saved us from this sort of disaster by issuing stay at home orders in most states in mid-March, after the federal government did almost nothing in February and then spent the first two weeks in March stepping on its d***. It kind of got its act somewhat together after that.

Bolsonaro overrode his state governors. That didn't make a lot of difference for about a month, but now it is Katy bar the door. Brazil is already a fullblown disaster, and may get promoted to catastrophe.

Having quite liked Brazil, even though I hated selling Mormonism there, I find their situation distressing and depressing. And it's going to get worse.

Sometimes government action does make a difference. Having to make momentous snap decisions in days may not lead to the most effective decisions, but as Brazil is demonstrating in spades, doing nothing was not a better choice.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 07:39PM

I think the situation in Russia may ultimately prove as bad as Brasil, although the latter's abject poverty makes a difference.

The fact that things are out of control in such large and populous places means that absent some fortunate mutations that vitiate the virus, COVID-19 is not going away.

Date: May 24, 2020 07:58PM

Where does the road end with government bossing adults around like children? Until we are ordered to hide in our bathrooms until a vaccine from death itself is made? Mind you i have been making more money off of this covid thing and even i feel guilty about it. Not sure how the billionaires do it reaping the rewards off the unfortunate and not have a guilty concience.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 09:25PM

Where does the government get off telling adults to stop at stop signs and wear seatbelts? I mean, I might not be the one who dies so screw you, government and grandma!

(Eye roll)

Date: May 24, 2020 10:25PM

Do you stop at red lights?
Do you wear shoes and shirts to restaurants?

Is "no shoes, no shirt, no service" a reasonable public health requirement, but "no shoes, no shirt, no mask, no service" intolerable tyranny? Explain that one.

If most people in a supermarket are wearing masks, and you're not, what percentage of the people do you think are thinking "gee, I wish as was as brave and that person, and was willing to fight for my rights"?

And what percentage are thinking a single seven letter word that starts with the letter A?

And what percentage just round the corner and don't think of you at all?

Worthy questions, all, I would think.

Date: May 24, 2020 10:41PM

I wear my mask in all stores. But people don't obey red lights anyways so whats the point. My car accident for example. Guy didn't obey red light and it messed me up physically. So whats the point of rules if people break them everumyday anyways? You know. Pretty much everyone speeds despite laws or rules against speeding.

Date: May 24, 2020 10:45PM

I'll probably wear a mask even after the vaccine if i am honest.

Date: May 24, 2020 10:27PM

I think Russia and Iran are both in deep trouble.

Most nations would have great trouble hiding the deaths of lots of people. Russia might be more talented than most at that. They may get away with bogus numbers'

Date: May 24, 2020 10:38PM

There are two questions here. The first is where the real hot spots are. I suspect, but do not know, that Iran is in better shape than it was. What worries me most are the third world countries that, like Brazil, are too poor and lacking in healthcare to test, treat, and monitor their problems.

Russia certainly can hide things, but again much of that advantage stems from the lack of official support for studying and reporting on the situation. Other countries have done the same.

Or they can just do what the US is now doing. The administration has underfunded testing, so we don't have a full sense of what the comprehensive figures would be; indeed, our Dear Leader said that testing is bad because it embarrasses the United States. Meanwhile the White House has just announced that nursing home deaths to COVID will not be counted if they occurred before May 6. Those two facts will depress the count considerably.

And now, after having said last week that the US total will surpass 96,000, the president is claiming that the true number is much lower than that. That's the next stage in the war over "facts." The president has the resources to cloud the issue in order to shift responsibility to others. This will become another area in which the "mainstream media" have distorted the truth to embarrass the president. And that will be the case despite Trump's endorsement of the numbers just days ago.

That is the Orwellian world from which ex-Mormons escaped, and it is the Orwellian world in which the country now exists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2020 10:38PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: May 24, 2020 10:57PM

Yes exactly. It feels like i went from orwellian to orwellian. Although the orwellian that i left i feel was still worse than the orwellian situation we as a country are in now. There is a similar feel to it all that i recognize very well. I do admit i have not followed what is going on worldwide because i know it would affect me more than what i see right in front of me every day.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 25, 2020 05:16AM

It’s not really the same. In one case, they are basing their ideas on how you should act on the whims of a “prophet”. In the other case, they are looking at what actually happens based on a large number of data points. Outlaws who ran away to Utah to practice polygamy because it “felt right” didn’t invent your smartphone. Science did that.

Here in the US, COVID19 is going to have a good run. We aren’t set up to contain it. The best we can do are half measures which we use to pat ourselves on the back. We keep ourselves in lousy shape and drum up fear to help the virus along.

Maybe it’s the fault of religion that makes people believe laws are written in stone. It says on the stone freedom of assembly and what not. If the President scribbles something else on the stone with a Sharpie, it doesn’t seem real. When you believe one thing, you are automatically barred from believing its opposite. Americans are heavy into belief in both their politics and their religion. Now it’s biting us where the sun doesn’t shine.

Does this mean beliefs are bad? No, bad beliefs are bad and good beliefs are good. Mormonism is a collection of good and bad beliefs. It’s the prophet’s job to weed out bad beliefs, which they never do because incompetence is a job requirement.

In the current situation, fear is a bigger pestilence than the virus. The fear of death is really grating on people. Of all the things to be afraid of, that is the thing we pick to worry about. I would worry too if I didn’t have a cure, so I’m not qualified to judge. But even without the virus, God is with me. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.

Date: May 24, 2020 07:41PM

We should not look to government as a savior figure, it is a dangerous road i feel. Does not seem like a good idea long-term.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 10:49PM

I have a lot of coworkers in Sao Paulo. Since I’m furloughed I’ve not heard how they are, but this is frightening.

Date: May 24, 2020 11:00PM

I do admit i have not been following things closely. I have been doing out of sight out of mind basically but i am still affected somehow. I am too easily affected by a dire situation to watch it unfold on television.

Date: May 24, 2020 11:26PM

So, you haven't been following things, which means you aren't informed, yet you make an initial statement like you did and then try to defend your uninformed opinion when you've been corrected? Genius.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: May 25, 2020 09:46AM

Well, maybe you should start paying attention instead of sticking your head in the sand. If you always wear a mask then stop bitching about it. Don’t stay home, don’t wear a mask, don’t stay informed but, for God’s sake STOP WHINING ABOUT IT! Some of us are at high risk of dying from the virus. I know I will die someday, I’m just not willing to do it now because people like you don’t give a shit about me. Be free, but stop bitching that your freedom is being assaulted. Go run every damn red light you want (everybody does it) and see how that works out for you and others.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 10:55PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> math question for y'all:
> why are they 50% ahead,
> and not 33%?

Oo, Oo! I know!!

Because adding or multiplying two negative numbers results in a positive number! ...Or zero in some 'addition/subtraction' situations...

Date: May 24, 2020 11:24PM

It depends on the denominator. If Brazil had 200 million people and the United States had 300 million people, any given increment in the numerator would produce a figure 1.5 times as big for Brazil as for the United states.

Date: May 25, 2020 01:13AM

Mockery will get you canonized, which presumably includes a 21 nun salute.

Date: May 24, 2020 08:12PM

And doctors don't know anything ?
Maybe they will not be successful in saving you from yourself and your ideology.

Date: May 24, 2020 08:27PM

Ideaology of freedom? Stay home forever and see if it saves you from death(spoiler alert, it won't)

Date: May 24, 2020 08:30PM

So your "freedom" involves killing other people ?
That sounds more like "freedumb".

Date: May 24, 2020 08:56PM

Lockdown is not freedom either. I am not killing those people. That is magical thinking. Virus is killing people. Not me. Beyond my control. I can not control a virus.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 09:08PM

Adam71783 Wrote:
> Lockdown is not freedom either. I am not killing
> those people. That is magical thinking. Virus is
> killing people. Not me. Beyond my control. I
> can not control a virus.

You most certainly CAN control the part of reality you DO control in your own life.

We know that there are proven scientific facts (area of virus dispersal from person-to-person according to specific circumstances, how long the virus can live in the air or on a three-dimensional object, how that virus can be transferred to ANOTHER person, WHO (with our present knowledge) is most apt to be vulnerable to that virus, how handwashing, and social distancing, and wearing a mask can cut down the spread of the virus, etc.).

Basically, your philosophical position is: "I don't give a damn if I infect someone else, and I don't give a damn if someone else infects me."

That is not a good or ethical or even acceptable position.

Think about if YOU can personally live with knowing that you did infect, or possibly could have infected, someone else--regardless of whether they live or die of the infection.

If you want others to protect you, then you have to do whatever is scientifically feasible to protect them.

This is not a random roll of the dice.

This is cause and effect, which is a scientific reality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2020 09:11PM by Tevai.

Date: May 24, 2020 09:41PM

I sanitize my hands a ton throughout every day and i wear a mask more than anyone in idaho i feel like. A ton of people here do not care to wear a mask or do anything. I already have a guilty concience for my life i suppose. Still feel guilty for deaths of friends that i did not cause directly but i was not there for them. Survivors guilt i still have.

Date: May 24, 2020 09:14PM

Alright i am done venting for the day. I'm better off just making money with the help of the government and a virus. Put my mask back on and sanitize my hands.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 10:32PM

You have your own opinion, based on your analysis of the situation, and stayed with it, even though the entire Progressive Mob ganged up on you, tried to argue you down, and even resorted to personal insult. You showed integrity and the strength of your convictions.

I applaud you.

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!"

("If--" by Rudyard Kipling)

Date: May 24, 2020 11:14PM

Thats quite a quote there. I have to learn to trust my gut. Been told vinegar was honey most of my life. I admit i don't know all the facts about the full death count and so forth but i do know what being controlled feels like. This is not the first lockdown type situation i have been through in life. Giving your power over to an organization or a single person that says they are the way and the savior of some sort is not good. You lost your ability to make your own choices. If i want to be in lockdown for the greater good i will not have to be told by big brother or cult leader that i have to do it. I will make the choice on my own and i should ve allowed to do so. The government doesn't care about me. Who am i trying to kid. I'm literally just a number to them and i got the nine digit SSN to back me up. I'm tired of being just a number to organizations that claim "i care about you""we want to protect you""we love you". I heard it all.

Date: May 25, 2020 01:48AM

Yup. Only sheep wear masks. So why don't you show us what a rugged individualist you are and commit suicide by not wearing one.

Date: May 25, 2020 02:02AM

Date: May 25, 2020 02:05AM

Are you woke ?

Date: May 25, 2020 02:25AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 25, 2020 09:08AM

>>even though the entire Progressive Mob ganged up on you

So you think that everyone who has supported the public health measures is a political progressive? I can assure you that I am not. I am a political moderate. I vote both sides of the aisle, and I very much support my Republican governor.

Who or what made you think that everyone who supports the recent measures is a progressive?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 09:02PM

I guess Eve didn't share the apple of knowledge with Adam, after all.

Date: May 24, 2020 09:16PM

Pretty sure a cult leader would tell people to stay home right now.

Date: May 24, 2020 09:18PM

Pretty sure anyone with decency and common sense would tell you to stop digging.

Date: May 24, 2020 09:21PM

Its control anon.

Date: May 24, 2020 10:00PM

Hope your daughter is doing better by the way.

Date: May 24, 2020 09:19PM

Yea she told me to stay home in lockdown.

Date: May 24, 2020 09:22PM

Well and beautifully put, Don.

Date: May 24, 2020 09:33PM

You of all people should know an organization is using a control tactic on you don.

Posted by: Lars Winter ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 09:09PM

You wanna beat the virus? Yeah, isolate and distance but also build up your immune system so if you get it you can fight it bettwr. Eat well - fruit, veg, vitamins... Get sunshine and exercise.

That's a positive message. But it's not about fear. It's not about doing war briefings to the press.

I guess telling people to eat healthy and exercise isn't a way to control people.

Posted by: SomeMillenial ( )
Date: May 24, 2020 11:21PM

It's for our own good because we don't know any better.

I am going to reread the instructions for how to apply hand sanitizer as part of my scripture study tonight.

Praise to the Man who communed with Corona!

Posted by: Angel ( )
Date: May 25, 2020 06:23AM

SomeMillenial Wrote:
> It's for our own good because we don't know any
> better.
>
> I am going to reread the instructions for how to
> apply hand sanitizer as part of my scripture study
> tonight.
>
> Praise to the Man who communed with Corona!

When the government speaks, the thinking has been done. My country, right or wrong, and I must obey it. I reject all personal responsibility, and will do what I'm told.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 25, 2020 03:03AM

If you want an authentic lockdown, there's always prison. What we on the outside have by comparison is merely an inconvenience.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 25, 2020 03:24AM

The New York Times published the names of 1000 who have died from this. ABC Perth ran an article on it. I have several friends in AU and TAS and they want to know what the hell is wrong with us. Why can't the US do the obvious and proven things to deal with this? Why do we have idiots blathering on about "their freedom" while they shit on the rights of everyone else. Why the second people are allowed to open up again some are going bat crap crazy. Packing beaches, bars, restaurants, churches buttcheek to buttcheek. Why? For what? We are an international laughingstock. 100K dead and no end in sight while our "government" plays golf.

This is why we have to have laws. People are too stupid and immature to act like grown adults and be responsible for themselves.

Yes, people break laws. When they get caught, they pay fines. If they keep breaking laws they go to jail. We protect the rest of society from them. Is that treating them like children? Should people be allowed to drive drunk because they want to? How about if they promise to only kill themselves? You can't have a peeing section in a pool. The stupid gets all over everyone.

Date: May 25, 2020 04:24AM

But Susan, what do you really think?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 25, 2020 06:47AM

But isn’t being responsible for others kind of un-American. You’re supposed to lift yourself by your own bootstraps. If you breathe in contaminated microdroplets and get sick, how is that my business as an American? You shouldn’t be out there breathing.

Date: May 25, 2020 10:23AM

You are absolutely correct. We are a spoiled and self destructive country of idiots. We face-timed with my daughter's buddy in Perth. He and his brother are both scholarship tennis players at US colleges. The lockdown had begun during their spring break. They both flew back to Australia as soon as they announced they were closing the dorms and classrooms. They arrived in Perth to find that their parents had re-done their rooms. They added microwaves and mini fridges to their rooms. Mom had stocked their toiletries and fridges. They were not to leave their rooms for 15 days. They each have their own bathrooms, so they had no need to go anywhere. Mom cooked dinners and mad sandwiches. She'd leave them on a tray outside their doors. The only time they left their rooms was to put their sheets and towels in the washer. Not touching anything else. After quarantine, they connected with their mates, via skype or face-time.Nobody visited anyone, they all followed smart practices. Like you said, they see what's happening in America, after 6 weeks of "stay at home" and see us throwing it all away. They think we're stupid and reckless. They can see that these so called "Freedom mask fighters" are setting us back for months and killing Americans. In the name of freedom. He said That they soon may be able to travel to New Zealand and receive travelers from NZ, but they are begging the government to keep out travelers from the US. AUS, NZ and Europe are looking at the USA like a 3rd world leper colony. And they're right.

Posted by: JW de Mille ( )
Date: May 25, 2020 07:23AM

This is how liberty dies, not in silence but thunderous applause. (And a lot of coughing.)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 25, 2020 10:00AM

Freedom doesn't mean that you have no connection to other people or responsibility for the lives of others.

The virus doesn't care about politics or religion or anything.

It just uses your body to reproduce itself.

Suppose you move a small town and you have a stockpile of explosives, heavy weapons, and VX nerve gas that you proudly show off to neighbors. They want to know what you intend to do with it. You tell them to mind their own business. Now all the people and kids in town have to wear gas masks and gloves. They are afraid. They don't know what you intend to do.

You don't have the right to be a vector of disease.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2020 10:03AM by anybody.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 25, 2020 10:11AM

London Plague In Cock and Key Alley:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2001/oct/16/tvandradio.television1
https://youtube.com/watch?v=HPe6BgzHWY0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2020 10:13AM by anybody.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: May 25, 2020 10:13AM

As a resident of Idaho I will say that if one's perspective of CV is only through the wrong end of an Idaho telescope it can be a flawed and distorted image.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.