Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 28, 2020 06:28PM

Big political rally and parade planned for Washington D.C. July 4, 2020
===============================================================

"some 200,000 people jammed Broad Street, cheering wildly as the line of marchers stretched for two miles.

... "For Philadelphia, the fallout was swift and deadly. Two days after the parade, the city’s public health director Wilmer Krusen, issued a grim pronouncement: “The epidemic is now present in the civilian population and is assuming the type found in naval stations and cantonments [army camps].”

Within 72 hours of the parade, every bed in Philadelphia’s 31 hospitals was filled. In the week ending October 5, some 2,600 people in Philadelphia had died from the flu or its complications. A week later, that number rose to more than 4,500. With many of the city’s health professionals pressed into military service, Philadelphia was unprepared for this deluge of death."

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/philadelphia-threw-wwi-parade-gave-thousands-onlookers-flu-180970372/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: May 28, 2020 07:33PM

you're not supposed to compare Covid to the flu, remember

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 28, 2020 08:56PM

The same thing almost happened in Kaysville with a country music festival, They were expecting 10,000 to come, with the mayor of Kaysville welcoming the entertainment. But after protest she appologized and said "no!" Now they are trying to get Tooele to take the bait, we'll see what happens

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2020/05/27/first-kaysville-now/

Date: May 28, 2020 09:02PM

And they're moving forward in faith while brandishing their AR15s. Yup,masks are slavery.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 28, 2020 09:20PM

I saw some guy say they didn't need masks because the blood of Jesus protects them but apparently they need guns. Go figure.

How is it that masks are government tyranny but controlling women's bodies is not? Honestly, nothing is making sense.

It's unfortunate the mask has become a statement about politics and personal liberty views. It could have been presented as a way to show concern at gatherings when there are viruses making the rounds.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 28, 2020 09:27PM

Wow. I wonder who made masks a matter of personal liberty?

That seems like a foolish thing to do if your highest priority is saving American lives although it may make sense if your goal is to divide the country. But no one would be so cynical as to do that.

Right?

Date: May 28, 2020 10:00PM

Snork. Riiiiigght. ;-\

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 28, 2020 10:25PM

>>Wow. I wonder who made masks a matter of personal liberty?

It's just so odd that has become a political issue. If everyone wore a mask and maintained distancing, we might get through this thing in one piece.

Date: May 28, 2020 10:47PM

Yes, that is the perspective for an American citizen. There are those who perceive their interests as quite different. Sad!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 28, 2020 11:36PM

dagny Wrote:
----------------------------------------------------
> How is it that masks are government tyranny but
> controlling women's bodies is not?

There is a debate over how effective masks are at stopping or slowing the Covid-19 desease. Regardless of the truth of the matter (I am not making a statement here about how effective masks are or are not), there is debate and even Dr Fauchi has changed his position on the matter a few times over the past few months. Despite the high risks for some, for those who do get the disease, it is not usually fatal. So whether or not any person believes that masks stop the spread of the disease, there can be some doubt in some reasonable minds about how effective masks are at stopping the disease from killing people.

Abortion is fatal to the fetus 100% of the time. There is no debate about whether or not abortion is effective at terminating the life of the fetus. The only debate is about whether or not the unborn fetus is a human life. Can you tell us that the fetus is not a human life, with the same conviction as the person who refuses to wear a mask believes that the mask is not necessary? Why should the government regulate one and not the other? If the neighbor in the apartment next to yours is running a meth lab two feet from where your children (ok, not your children if you don't consider them human, but you) sleep at night, is it none of your business?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 11:48PM by azsteve.

Date: May 28, 2020 11:57PM

My heavens, this is every bit as good as your disquisition on Swedish refuges and states rights.

Date: May 28, 2020 11:59PM

You bogus abortion diatribe goes nowhere.

Date: May 29, 2020 10:36AM

I don't get your meth lab comment. Meth labs don't kill anyone 100% of the time, so you are saying they are OK?

We will disagree on when a sperm cell becomes a human. I'm sure you are fine with the government controlling what you do with your sperm just like you are with controlling what women must do with their eggs. Remember most abortions are spontaneous. I'm not a fan of abortion but it seems strange liberty for a fetus overrides liberty for the women. It's almost like it is really about control of women!

Distance and barriers are a bedrock of respiratory disease prevention.

Traffic lights are not 100% effective so I suppose they are a form of governmental control?

I don't understand how people with your argument about abortion don't seem to admit that guns, which are designed to kill, are similar. I guess "pro life" really only means for fetuses. Once they are born killing them is fine.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 28, 2020 10:45PM

When I wear a mask in public:

I want you to know that I am educated enough to know that I could be asymptomatic and still give you the virus.

No, I don’t “live in fear” of the virus; I just want to be part of the solution - not the problem.

I don’t feel like the “government is controlling me;” I feel like I’m being a contributing adult to society, and I want to teach others the same.

The world doesn’t revolve around me. It’s not all about me and my comfort.

If we all could live with consideration of other people's lives in mind, this whole world would be a much better place.

Wearing a mask doesn’t make me weak, scared, stupid, or even “controlled.” It makes me considerate.

When you think about how you look, how uncomfortable it is, or what others think of you, just imagine someone close to you - a child, a father, a mother, best friend, grandparent, aunt, or uncle - choking on a respirator, alone without you or any family member allowed at their bedside.

Ask yourself if you could have sucked it up a little for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 10:50PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 28, 2020 11:40PM

I agree Susan, your answer cuts accross what is too often partison politics and gives what should be the right answer for everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 11:43PM by azsteve.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 06:18PM

So true, as it's now thought that asymptomatic people have been spreading this virus faster, especially in areas that don't require masks in public. This is why I wear a mask in public, as I would hate to find out that I was one of those asymptomatic people who spread it. No, I don't wear one while driving, but as soon as I get to the store, I put it on before getting out of the car. I'm not "in fear" of the virus, I'm just someone who actually cares about others and don't want to unknowingly infect someone who will spread it to their grandparents who die as a result.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 06:48PM

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 06:49PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.