Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 28, 2020 10:31PM

I posted a bit online about Joe Smith's court troubles for glass looking, and I was enlightened by a concerned church member who sent me this:

"Joseph Smith was ridiculed and smashed like a bug due to the adversary but I can testify that he was a true prophet of God, the only way for you to know if a 14 year old boy without an education could write such a book without the help of Angels and have it be known among 16 million members worldwide today who are also witnesses that know its surrounded upon the teachings of Jesus Christ is for you to ask God the Father to show these things unto you. I testify that The Book of Mormon is most definitely true. It’s saved me many times in difficult trials throughout my life. God personally revealed to me without a doubt of 100% certainty of its truthfulness."

When I accused him of senselessly regurgitating what his church told him to say, he informed me that the church belonged to my "elder brother Jesus." I had no idea. My own brother!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 28, 2020 10:37PM

What he gave you was LDS boiler plate. You know the ingredients that go into it. When you dip the ladle in, you get most of the usual stuff ("bear my testimony...burning in the bosom...the church is true...most perfect book...").

Sometimes a less prominent ingredient comes up in the serving. In this case. how all of us humans are the (now) material offspring of Elohim. You knew that. It's just that this "ingredient"isn't put into the pot as much as it was a few generations back.

But it's still there. Just not so much of it.

Edit: In another thread, several comparisons were made between LDS and Orwell's writings, which got me to thinking: "All animals are equal, some more equal than others" parallels the LDS pre-existence doctrine, "We're all Elohim's offspring, just that some of us are more more so. More: privileged. Worthy. Valiant. Deserving of authority and blessings. Yes, we're all equally Elohim's offspring (women and Blacks, too!), but some are more equal than others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 10:40PM by caffiend.

Date: May 28, 2020 10:48PM

Yes, one thing that angered me as a Mormon kid was that my father told me I was privileged and had been born white because of it. But he was such a shitty and horrible father, that it didn't make sense. I got pissed off hearing it.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: May 28, 2020 10:47PM

The membership has a poor understanding of Joseph Smith.

Even the church itself doesnt teach that js was 14 when he wrote the BoM.

But it sure is a widespread idea.

Date: May 28, 2020 10:49PM

My post is pretty good example of functional illiteracy, isn't it?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 28, 2020 11:03PM

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: May 28, 2020 11:10PM

And a fabulous demonstration of the useless nature of feelings as a signifier of truth.

He testified a demonstrable falsehood.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 08:41PM

Exactly.

"I can testify that..." is such a weasel phrase. Kinda like "The members sustain me as such", or "It is my position that..."

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: May 28, 2020 10:56PM

Oh my god YES!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 28, 2020 11:45PM

That member knows it's true because of a warm feeling...oh wait was that warm feeling just because his Depends® failed again?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 02:26AM

Senseless regurgitation -- that's a good way to put it. That church member has spent so many years being told things that there is no longer room for an original church thought in his head.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 12:49PM

"God personally revealed to me without a doubt of 100% certainty of its truthfulness."

I've responded when told that line that it must be a lying deity because the Book of Mormon is simply not authentic, it is not from ancient Americans, it was fabricated in the early 19th century. So if some kind of God is revealing it is true, that God is a liar.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 04:00PM

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 11:52AM

Still pushing the phony 16 million members number.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 08:45AM

Interesting how JS is just a hatchling, babe in the woods at 14 and couldn't have been mature enough for adulting, but Hellen Mar Kimble was mature enough to be his concubine and take her mother's place in the harem at the same age.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2020 08:47AM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: ukclydesider ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 09:13AM

Maybe JS remembered what a great time he had when he was 14 and decided to give some 14year old girls a similar experience.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 10:16AM

That Mormon's testimonial response was word for word what my mother always says.

You can't argue with that. Really. You can't.

With a locked door you can get a key or a crowbar or bolt cutters. With a locked Mormon, nothing works at all. They can only open it from within. Like we all did. Right?

The one you are dealing with for sure has paddle locks and chains and dead bolts all the way down the inside of the door, and, a can of Mace to boot!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 11:54AM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I posted a bit online about Joe Smith's court
> troubles for glass looking, and I was enlightened
> by a concerned church member who sent me this:
>
>
> "Joseph Smith was ridiculed and smashed like a bug
> due to the adversary but I can testify that he was
> a true prophet of God, the only way for you to
> know if a 14 year old boy without an education
> could write such a book without the help of Angels
> and have it be known among 16 million members
> worldwide today who are also witnesses that know
> its surrounded upon the teachings of Jesus Christ
> is for you to ask God the Father to show these
> things unto you. I testify that The Book of Mormon
> is most definitely true. It’s saved me many
> times in difficult trials throughout my life. God
> personally revealed to me without a doubt of 100%
> certainty of its truthfulness."
>
> When I accused him of senselessly regurgitating
> what his church told him to say, he informed me
> that the church belonged to my "elder brother
> Jesus." I had no idea. My own brother!
Joseph Smith Jr. was not a 14 year old uneducated farm boy when he scribbled out his infamous book!!!!!!!!!

Date: June 01, 2020 12:00PM

Awe, don't let the facts get in the way of a terrific miracle!

Date: June 01, 2020 06:09PM

Angles helped him, you see.

Date: June 01, 2020 06:20PM

He always had an angle, didn't he?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 06:23PM

Nicely done!

I didn't notice that the first time, and I suspect Don will see the humor.

Date: June 01, 2020 06:30PM

Nothing gets past Don.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 06:35PM

:-)

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 02, 2020 02:21PM

>> "...the only way for you to know if a 14 year old boy without an education could write such a book without the help of Angels and have it be known among 16 million members worldwide today who are also witnesses that know its surrounded upon the teachings of Jesus Christ is for you to ask God the Father to show these things unto you."

Interesting how there is only one way, and one way only, to know this fabulous truth about the original inhabitants of the Americas and the grand cities they built, the golden chariots drawn by pure white stallions they rode, the christian worship they practiced, the boats and barges they travelled the oceans in ....nothing else will let you know it, not science, not history, not archeology, not any other way to know if its true.

How cool and simple is that?!?

Date: June 02, 2020 07:53PM

Simple for the simple-minded, yes.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: June 02, 2020 08:01PM

What did you say to him?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.