Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Schopenhauer's Coat ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 05:57AM

Is Joseph Smith realized as puer aeternus? Somewhat like Jesus, who is portrayed as Christ-child, Smith is manifested as puer aeternus when situated within the church context. Smith as farm boy reinforces maternal and interfamilial tenderness, combined with a love of the Heavenly Family - "This is Joseph Smith Snr.'s son, hear him."

By projecting the image of puer aeternus upon Smith, he is metaphorically castrated and thus asexual, although with Emma, he plays the role of Bo and Peep within Heaven's Gates. She is more playmate than equal partner. This sidesteps the issue of sexual controversy.

This contrasts with the avuncular and grandfatherly style of the First Presidency, who rely on the young spawning of Mormons (by twenty somethings) in order to strengthen intergenerational sentiment. The First Presiency thus acts as senex to the puer aeternus archetype.

Infantilism is a context of the nostalgic, and recursive nature of the late church and indeed late capitalism. By establishing lactating nostalgia, the church becomes mother proxy within the patriarchal structure, with Smith as substitute son/brother. Just as the secular world entraps kidults within fast food, Star Wars nostalgia, and Furry Fandom... So the church relies on primary songs, vows made at eight and the unobtainable bourne of youth to which we cannot return. The church produces asexual adults who are mired in adulthood, while the figure of Smith is not actualized and cut off in physical death before he reaches senex, and in representational death before he reaches true adulthood.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 08:27AM

Of course. That explains EVERYTHING.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 09:54AM

You had me at 'lactating nostalgia'!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 01:06PM

It does kind of bring the mind to a lurching stop, doesn't it?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 10:42AM

We'll need photos to show our friends who may have missed this post.

Posted by: Fiend the Ignostic ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 02:58PM

"Pictures, or it didn't happen!"

Me, I'm waiting for Joseph Campbell to weigh on this.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 01:43PM

I think the actors are going to have trouble with some of the words in your screenplay. Important to dumb it down for the average American audience.

How does one give proper nuance when cast in the role of Senex, and you can't cast Meryl?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 02:28PM

"Important to dumb it down for the average American audience" and European, yea, even British audiences, as I can bear witness.

;-)

Date: June 01, 2020 08:54PM

Yes, but you are a Briton with the wisdom to move to France--so an exceptionally intelligent case!

Posted by: Journey's Over ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 08:43PM

I don't know what I just read there. A horrible pomo analysis or a breakdown of Mormon iconography. I'm a bit confused.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 09:00PM

Pure anus !

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 09:21PM

I had to look up the word "aeternus". Here is what I found:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/aeternus

I think that all of these definitions apply to how the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints views Joseph Smith. And I also think that the OP is making a very critical (if somewhat intellectual) criticism of that church.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 11:29PM

I hope the OP required the use of controlled substances. Sounds like a very mellow Jordan.

Personally, I'll stick with Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Date: June 01, 2020 11:31PM

Yeah, but you have a pet albatross. . .

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: June 02, 2020 09:01PM

Though it wasn't available in Joseph Smith's time, I think they have an ointment for that now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.