Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 05:17PM

So...

There are a lotta birds around here. A great horned owl made off with one of my ducks. NOT appreciated. The ducks are enjoying their new nighttime digs in my garage avec wading pool, straw, etc. etc.

There are a TON of birds zooming around my house. I've complained about the bald eagles. Swallows are dive bombing me. Black capped chickadees are being super cute, and I have a cool app on my phone, Merlin, that helps me identify some of these interlopers. I'm also taking an online class about raptor identification. Three cheers for Cornell! https://academy.allaboutbirds.org

I like these interlopers, and I wonder if they've always been zooming about and I didn't notice or if they're new because they like me. I think they like me.

My mother would like to buy me a pair of binoculars and a big book o' birds for my birthday.

1. What is a good beginner line of binoculars? I must wear glasses and cannot wear contacts. My vision blurs two feet away from my face.

a. Can binoculars correct my far vision without glasses?

2. Mom said to go all out on the bird book. I'd like _The Birds of America_, but that's not going to happen. I don't think she means a pocket ID book.

Fingers crossed I won't be arrested for birding while brown.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2020 05:41PM by Beth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 05:20PM

You could go the James Bond route.

Seriously. Look him up.

Date: May 29, 2020 05:21PM

Date: May 29, 2020 05:21PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 07:31PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 07:33PM

I know squat about birds and binocs, but what about the issue of her wearing glasses?

How is that addressed with regard to type/style of binoculars?

Date: May 29, 2020 07:50PM

Sent Mom the link to the Sibley book and told her to buy it from his website so he'll autograph it. (He *is* alive, right?)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 01:57AM

I don't know, but I always took my glasses off when using binoculars (back when I wore glasses.)

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 05:28PM

Sorry, no recommends on the binoculars. I bought mine years ago for hunting.

BUT!!! Do a google search on your area for birds. Such as "birds of Denver area". This is what I did, and I got a lot of good pictures and what to look for.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 05:31PM

Ah, a fellow bird watcher, what a tweet!

I have 2 binoculars I like....

Zen Ray Vista 10x42 I think these were about $150 and are good all purpose binoculars

Celestron Skymaster 15x70 $93 on Amazon. I really like these, you can see a far away bird up close and they are good for stargazing too.

Celestron Outland 10x42 would be comparable to my Zen Ray I would think ands is $58 on Amazon.

As for books....I have "The Sibley Field Guide to birds of western north america" and "Kaufman Field Guide to birds of north america"

Happy watching!

Date: May 29, 2020 05:36PM

I have a DK/Smithsonian "Birds of the Mid-Atlantic" that I use all the time. It is clear, complete, and thorough. They probably have one for your region as well. I also have the Audubon "Field Guide to North American Birds" that dutifully gathers dust on my shelf.

I like using a regional book because you don't have to waste time eliminating birds that are an unlikely match for the birds in your area.

As for binoculars, IMO it pays to get large, good quality ones. My brother has large binoculars (I think Nikon?) that are wonderful. I have small ones that are okay, but not great, and another small set that is useless.

I would be so excited to see an owl. We have eagles and hawks here in central Maryland, and also Ospreys that are birds of prey who like to nest near or on the water. You have to keep a sharp eye on small cats and dogs whenever they are around. It's not likely that they will pick up a pet, but it does happen every now and then.

I'm so sorry that you lost one of your ducks!

Date: May 29, 2020 08:07PM

Yeah - I didn't see the owl but I saw the aftermath. She was the lightest in color so she made for easy pickings at dusk. Now they march right into their condo when they see me.

I'm incubating four eggs - I'll know if they're fertile and developing on Tuesday. I started an LLC to sell the eggs, but I've been giving them away because so many folks are broke. It's also good marketing - many people who come have never tried duck eggs. It's all contactless, so that's good.

But yeah. Poor duck. At least the owl kills fast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2020 08:07PM by Beth.

Posted by: Curry ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 05:37PM

I have several bird books but prefer the Sibley book. He shows common variations in plumage while most books show just one picture per species.

Date: May 29, 2020 05:38PM

That would definitely be handy.

Date: May 29, 2020 07:50PM

Date: May 29, 2020 06:09PM

Also, after going to your local bird google, I would listen to all of their songs. Sometimes, you can't see them, but you can hear them.

Date: May 29, 2020 06:36PM

How are you feeling?

Date: May 29, 2020 07:17PM

I'm doing OK. Thanks! I'm one of the lucky ones whose boss actually gives a crap about them. They have figured out stuff for me to do at home, so I still have a paycheck. My boys (SS and neffie) are out of jobs, so the income is a little tight, but I'm grateful for my paycheck, which is coming in.

A couple of days ago I saw an American Goldfinch come and look at my feeder. I hadn't seen one here before. So, I had the guys get some nyger when they went out. Now, we'll see if he comes back.

How are you doing?

Date: May 29, 2020 08:01PM

I see a beer run in my near future. Maybe. I hate going out.

I'm all flat affect, but I'm sure that will change in a few minutes. Mood swings are the best! /s

But yeah.

My daughter told me she might go hunting. I'm okay with it as long as she doesn't get shot. She is in the booooonieessss! Some stranger dropped off a rooster. Seriously. He stopped outside their house, the rooster jumped out of the bed of his truck, Nae and her friends were like, "Your rooster...," and then the guy drove off. I named the rooster, "Bob."

Bob was doing well for a while, and then Bob disappeared. Poor Bob.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 07:14PM

Ziess lenses. The best in the world.Yeah, they're pricey, but you wont have buy 3-5 lower stuff binocs to get to the top. Bite the bullet and buy the best.

Date: May 29, 2020 08:09PM

;)

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 29, 2020 10:07PM

Girl, you gotta get those ducks Coyote Vests with hawk shields! Tiny girl doesn't go out back unless she has hers on. Any other place they go in the stroller. It locks down tight and I figure I could beat anything off before it could get to them.

https://www.coyotevest.com/

Date: May 29, 2020 10:16PM

That's nuts, Suze. Yeah. That effin owl. I promised the ducks I'll do better by them. They snuck under the chicken wire and mashed my vegetable garden with their big ass feet. Fair enough, ducks. Fair enough.

Date: May 29, 2020 10:34PM

Damn. I was waiting for them to turn blue. Instead I have Northern Rough-winged Swallows. There were HORDES of them a couple of weeks ago. They ate these nasty papery winged mayfly things (not really mayflies, but that's what they call them in Harrisburg), and they grabbed all of the down from the yard. I love them! Even if they aren't going to turn blue.

Date: June 11, 2020 09:56PM

I was watching one preen on a telephone wire (yay, binocs!). It was either a juvenile tree swallow or a juvenile bank swallow. I'll need to study the white around the neck more.

I like this very much.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 11:43AM

My method of watching the "boids" is through my 300mm lens on my Canon T5i camera.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 12:39PM

An inexpensive 10x50 should work for what you described. Best to wear your glasses while using them because you will be looking for birds without the binoculars, then putting the binoculars to your eyes to see more detail, then lowering the binoculars to look for something else. 10x50 will give better viewing in late evening and early morning because it will make things seem brighter. Lots of different manufacturers, should be able to get a pair in the $50 price range that will be just fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2020 12:42PM by mikemitchell.

Date: May 30, 2020 01:37PM

"Best to wear your glasses while using them because you will be looking for birds without the binoculars, then putting the binoculars to your eyes to see more detail, then lowering the binoculars to look for something else."

My thoughts exactly. This morning I was standing in front of the stove, I took off my glasses, and I couldn't read the digital clock at the back. I thought, "Yeah - I'm not going to be able to spot *anything* without my specs." :)

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 01:49PM

Most 10x50 binoculars in the $50 price range will have rubber fold-down eyecups. Just fold them down when wearing glasses and they won't scratch your glasses if you bump the lens.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 01:52PM

I love hearing songs of the Varied Thrush, the Western Meadowlark, of course the Loons.

Date: May 30, 2020 03:05PM

Date: May 30, 2020 11:34PM

I'm fond of mockingbirds, but I don't have any around my house (my brother gets them, though.) New this year at my place are some red-winged blackbirds, and they are amazingly loud. Their cry is right on the cusp between shrill and sweet, which I find interesting.

Date: May 30, 2020 03:05PM

https://www.pcta.org/2020/birding-on-the-pacific-crest-trail-84324/?utm_source=PCTA+Newsletters&utm_campaign=313e7b4585-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_04_02_05_40_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f2f746bbaf-313e7b4585-442793133

SMH at the crazy long links.

Annnyway, I'll see how I do in my backyard and the foothills here. Maybe PCT will be in my future. I keep trying to focus on the future.

ETA: And a guide to buying binoculars! I am SO forward thinking. ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2020 03:06PM by Beth.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 09:08PM

Where are you located. If in Utah check with Pictureline in SLC on Canon Image Stabilized binoculars. Very good for your use.

On the books, National Geographic BIRDS OF NORTH AMERICA is worth it. Just picked up a copy of the hardback for $10 at Barnes & Noble yesterday.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 09:27PM

I think both Beth & I live in Western Washington.

Date: May 31, 2020 12:08PM

Birds are interesting. I'm happy that I've moved to an area with many species. I grew up surrounded by pigeons. Occasionally a seagull would poop on my head at the shore. That's some rank poop. Clams. Ugh. Not good luck at all.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 10:51PM

I use individual eye focus 9x36 Bausch & Lomb...but they are 40 years old...lots of choice out there, but as someone who sold sorts optics for a decade I learned you get what you pay for. Leica and Zeiss are superb, but $$$$$$. Nikon or Pentax would be my choice now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2020 12:17AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: June 11, 2020 12:34AM

Mom sent "The Sibley Guide to Birds." Very nice. I picked up the one for Western North America.

I'll be needing the binoculars to read the tiny print.

Happy dance!

Date: June 11, 2020 02:33PM

Once I figured out that there are four lens caps (shurrup), I was cooking with gas.

I also received a duck egg apron in the mail which made me wonder if I'm ordering from Amazon in my sleep. Again.

But no! Mi madre sent me the ducky apron.

So, the binoculars - they're Orion Ultraviews. They work very well with my glasses, and I can see individual blades of grass as well as leaves on the trees from my kitchen window.

Hurrah! I'm looking forward to identifying those speedy swallows. They aren't as numerous as they were four weeks ago, but they're still here.

STOKED!

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 04:14PM

Those binoculars are also great for astronomical viewing, so don't forget to go outside at night and look up.

The moon will be beautiful, especially if you look near the terminator (the dividing line between light and darkness). You should also be able to see star clusters and the moons of Jupiter.

Here are some links to help you out:

http://binocularsky.com
https://earthsky.org/human-world/top-tips-for-using-ordinary-binoculars-for-stargazing/
https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/skills/stargazing-with-binoculars-a-guide/
http://www.stargazing.net/david/binoculars/index.html

Date: June 11, 2020 09:24PM

I know the perfect place in Onalaska where there is zero light pollution. I just found the Clear Sky Charts, and it looks like tomorrow night around 11 pm might be a good time to look up into the heavens.

So happy!

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 03:23PM

We've been paying attention to the birds on our daily walks.

Around the house, we've got mostly robins, cardinals, jays, woodpeckers, grackles, and warblers. We see hawks and the occasional eagle.

We've had various nuthatches and finches come and go. We hear catbirds quite frequently too.

But my favorite bird is the phoebe. I love its "fee-bee" song.

Tyson

Date: June 11, 2020 03:29PM

Stay away from the bees, okay?

MWAH!

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 04:47PM

We had a hornet/wasp/yellowjacket appear in our bathroom out of nowhere recently. The vacuum cleaner made quick work of it. :)

Tyson

Date: June 11, 2020 09:25PM

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 04:54PM

Any good sporting goods shop should have a decent selection of binoculars. I would go in and try several to see which ones fit you the best.

Date: June 11, 2020 09:26PM

to run around with them, but they're great for spying on neighbors.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 09:31PM

I have a pair of Bushnell 4X30 with a rocker focus control. I recommend that if you like really quick focusing. My higher power pair is Tasco 8X30. These are quality brands with professional-grade lenses. Not super expensive, especially the Bushnells. I use both for moon-gazing.

Date: June 11, 2020 09:52PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.