Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 12:02PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/05/30/some-utah-lds-wards-are/

After reading the article my first thought was Why?? This sounds like way too much work for a 30 minute or 60 minute meeting. People are probably doing fine with home church. Why push it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 12:19PM

They are terrified the members will get used to not going to church. They are right to be terrified.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 07:09PM

Man, I will bear witness that not attending meetings is so seductive and satisfying!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 12:30PM

If the reports about a general decline in church attendance (all religions) are accurate, it would be difficult to sell an unused chapel to another org (perhaps except in growing communities), so ChurchCo doesn't have a lot of choices as far as utilizing them...

Some mainstream churches have been converted (even the Seattle /Queen Anne LDS building) repurposed, but converting modern ChurchCo buildings would be a challenge.

BoJerry is right, it seems likely they're going to loose members to inactivity on this deal.

Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 01:41PM

My teenage son, who normally attends LDS meetings 100%, suggests that meetings be staggered so people only go to church every other week. Just half the ward on a given Sunday.

It's probably wishful thinking on his part . . .

Many, if not most, LDS teenagers really like the "stay at home" church currently going on around the world.

Of course, some LDS teens (and other religions) have good friends at church and miss mingling with friends.

Probably zero percent of LDS youth miss the dreadful boring sacrament meetings.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 30, 2020 07:34PM

Per the linked photo, Mormons are still grabbing bread off the same tray.

Costco, on the other hand, quit doing that with their samples.

Just shows TBMs would be better off going to Costco than church on Sunday.

Date: May 30, 2020 09:07PM

I sorta miss / lament the 'sample people' (mostly women) being absent from Costco, they certainly added to the ambiance!!!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 06:40PM

Costco announced here in SoCal that the samples will be back in early June! Appropriate safety measures will be in place, which sounds exciting.

Date: May 30, 2020 09:29PM

Don't the people who insist on going to church & other meetings KNOW that they're endangering themselves & family/friends/neighbors - nearly Everyone they come into contact with?

I hope there are enough Darwin Awards to go around...

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 01:45PM

Well, I haven't seen a single person who normally walks down my block to church. Maybe the ward in my South County city decided it was not prudent to open up for services just yet.

On another note about this ward...there is an electric gate that shuts off the back way out of their parking lot right into our neighborhood...it is a great shortcut. Interestingly, it has not been shut for months. I'm not complaining, just observing as to why that is.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 06:36PM

I predict that the number of Mormons who return to church will be less than the number that stopped attending because of the pandemic. I think the church brainwashing spell has been broken for many and they won't return.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 11:52PM

Yes.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 06:14PM

Those going back are the ones who post pictures on social media of the family in church clothes sitting on the couch on Sundays, saying how much they love home church. The rest who have discovered the joy of Second Saturdays won't be going back to church.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 11:44PM

I concur that the church is terrified of people not returning. And I also believe that they are worried about losing the older generations to the virus because it's the pushy older TBM's to have their grandchildren serve missions, get married in the temple and attend BYU.

Forgot to add that the older members are most likely the biggest tithing donors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2020 11:45PM by messygoop.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.