Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 12:38PM

My wife who has never been a "deep doctrine" type believer is now talking with one of her friends and has her all excited and worked up about the Covid-19 being part of the "prophecies" about the second coming of Jesus and something about the apocalypse. I was sort of trapped in a conversation she was having about prophets being killed in Jerusalem, pestilences and what ever the heck else is all part of that nonsense. I keep telling her I'll put money on Jesus not coming back. She gets pissed with me about that, but my money is good, she just will not take the bet.

One of the things she keeps going on about is some ETB talk where he said some of the folks in attendance would see the return of the Jesus. Rusty the Revelator was apparently in the crowd and was 12 years old. That does not make any sense to me. ETB would have been young in his corporate prophetic career ladder climbing, and would not have been able to utter prophetic utterances, so it would be discarded... Anyway, lots of hyper-ventilating about this BS going on out there... and it is close to home for me. Poor, poor me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 31, 2020 12:45PM

I swear when she talks about this crap, I'm listening to a jehovah's Witness or some other cult verbally rub one out about their most "interesting" beliefs.

Posted by: weekend logout ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 12:56PM

Just show her the rainbow prophecy. That might shut her up.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 12:58PM

Back in early days of the church (1800's), many patriarchal blessings promised the recipient that they would remain until the Second Coming, see the Last Days, not taste of death, etc. However, blessings given in the 1900's don't mention such assurances nearly as often. Ironic (see p. 21+):

https://dialoguejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/sbi/articles/Dialogue_V26N03_11.pdf

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 01:01PM

"One of the things she keeps going on about is some ETB talk where he said some of the folks in attendance would see the return of the Jesus."

The siblings of DW have a lot of this kind of stuff in their patriarchal blessings. It is typical pschich cold reading stuff. Almost all of it would apply to almost anyone.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 01:07PM

In an April 1843 general conference speech, Joseph Smith said, “There are those of the rising generation who shall not taste death till Christ comes” (History of the Church 5:336).

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 10:09AM

CrispingPin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In an April 1843 general conference speech, Joseph
> Smith said, “There are those of the rising
> generation who shall not taste death till Christ
> comes” (History of the Church 5:336).

Oh right, that's why my great-great-grandfather who was there is still alive!

Buried in a coffin in Utah, but I'm sure still alive.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 12:12PM

Maybe he died, but didn't "taste" death. ;)

Posted by: weekend logout ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 01:44PM

Talmage & the Tribes:

Conference Report, Oct. 1916, p. 76 (also Articles of Faith, p. 514):

"The ten tribes shall come; they are not lost unto the Lord; they shall be brought forth as hath been predicted; and I say unto you there are those now living – aye, some here present – who shall live to read the records of the Lost Tribes of Israel, which shall be made one with the record of the Jews, or the Holy Bible, and the record of the Nephites, or the Book of Mormon, even as the Lord hath predicted."

Wilford Woodruff & Brigham Young vs. Albany (Aug. 22, 1863):

"'Now, my young friends, I wish you to remember these scenes you are witnessing during the visit of President Young and his brethren. Yea, my young friends, treasure up the teachings and sayings of these prophets and apostles as precious treasure while they are living men, and do not wait until they are dead. A few days and President Young and his brethren, the prophets and apostles and Brothers Benson and Maughan, will be in the spirit world. You should never forget this visitation. You are to become men and women, fathers and mothers; yea, the day will come, after your fathers, and these prophets and apostles are dead, you will have the privilege of going into the towers of a glorious Temple built unto the name of the Most High (pointing in the direction of the bench), east of us upon the Logan bench; and while you stand in the towers of the Temple and your eyes survey this glorious valley filled with cities and villages, occupied by tens of thousands of Latter-day Saints, you will then call to mind this visitation of President Young and his company. You will say: That was in the days when Presidents Benson and Maughan presided over us; that was before New York was destroyed by an earthquake; it was before Boston was swept into the sea, by the sea heaving itself beyond its bounds; it was before Albany was destroyed by fire; yea, at that time you will remember the scenes of this day. Treasure them up and forget them not.' President Young followed and said: 'What Brother Woodruff has said is revelation and will be fulfilled.'"

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 03:12PM

My bet still stands. You give me a date. If Jesus comes on or before that date, I will give you a million dollars. If he doesn't, then you are to give me a million dollars.

Nobody has ever taken me up on that so far.

Posted by: shazam101 ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 04:04PM

July 22, 2020. That's what Lori Vallow said. Right????

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 04:53PM

It's the only way she'll be getting out if jail...

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 05:09PM

I hate to have to tEll you this but:
Jesus was a man.
He was born
He lived
He died
HE ISN'T COMING BACK!!!
No ONE EVER HAS!!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 07:50PM

Five percent of all the people who have ever lived are alive right now. Therefor we can't rule out the possibility of immortality.

:^)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 12, 2020 08:50PM

Your imaginary friend was a man ? *LOL*

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 05:57PM

Benson was ordained an apostle in 1943. Rusty, born in 1925, would have been 19.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 31, 2020 07:34PM

Old Brother Fitzpatrick (died circa 1980) must have had a very in tune Patriarch.
Fitzpatrick often testified that not only was he promised he would preach the gospel to people living on the far side of the moon, he was also promised that he would live to see the Second Coming of Even Jesus Christ.

Date: June 01, 2020 10:13AM

Wow, Fitzpatrick got lucky! Even Jesus Christ is so much better than that schmuck Odd Jesus Christ. (My PB says I have to wait for the Third Coming).

Date: June 01, 2020 10:18AM

We had a minor GA talk at a multi-stake youth conference when I was in high school; I don't remember the name, so it wasn't someone higher-up. But often those lower-level managers are more interesting since they're less afraid of saying something not entirely in line with MoCo's official doctrine.

Anyway, he gave the keynote talk toward the end of the conference and told us all the usual platitudes--we were a chosen generation, the Lord had saved the valiant for last, etc. Then he said we were not waiting for the Second Coming because we were already in the middle of it! It began when Christ returned to the Earth in the Sacred Grove and showed himself. I think my Mormon heart grew three sizes that day.

As the years wore on, I began to wonder why Jesus didn't hurry the f*** up and get on with it. This will not go unnoticed in his next performance review.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2020 10:18AM by Anziano Young.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 10:42AM

Joseph Smith famous prophesy: "[T]he coming of the Lord, which is nigh—even fifty-six years should wind up the scene." History of Church 2:182 February 14, 1835

I personally have now lived through so many "ends of times" that I would answer to the name Methuselah.

In my day at least we had the Cold War and were building bomb shelters and heaping flour into big metal tins for my first "End of Times." The current one is pathetic in comparison as have been most since then.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 01, 2020 11:52AM

This does give one motivation to personally evaluate their acceptance of the truth of "prophecy".
So many things revert to the spoutings of "Elmer Gantry"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2020 12:08PM by thedesertrat1.

Date: June 08, 2020 01:20PM

We got into it over the weekend on a whole host of church BS... She starts off by trying to tell me "Interesting stuff she is reading" about the end of times and some of Bruce's "prophecies". Something snapped in me and I could not hold back and even feign interest. I say first of all, your corporate church leaders want you to put anything out of your head from old Bruce unless it is Jesus and pay your tithing. Then it occurs to me that even if ol'Bruce had anything to say on the matter it is not "prophecy" as she is calling it. He was never in the prophet chair so all that is opinion. She was not happy about that. I suggested that she even stop referencing Mormon Doctrine because the Corp church is getting away from that. She jumps then to the "I used to be so strong in the gospel" line and now my sins are getting in the way of believing what she is saying. I tell her my sins and the church being BS are two different things. It went in several circles as the conversation spiraled downward.

It got me thinking that if she were to take her faith seriously, she should seriously consider divorcing me so she can find her eternal buddy now unless she wants to become celestial seconds. That is a messed up concept there...celestial seconds. If it is true, I'll not be worthy, if it isn't, it will not happen either way....

I told her I cannot re-believe in Santa or the Easter bunny and that is what she is asking me to believe in. She wants me to read the BoM for 30 minutes a day. Time is scare as it is, I don't have time to waste time on that.

All this end of times nonsense has her garmies in a major twist.

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: June 12, 2020 08:48PM

I’ll admit that I retreated temporarily to my fear place around Easter. I was pretty suggestible. Even watched GC. it was like hedging a bet. I’m back now. I want to understand why this happened.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.