Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 03:34PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/two-husband-strategy-may-be-a-remedy-for-chinas-one-child-policy-professor-posits/2020/06/10/56e6eff8-aac0-11ea-a43b-be9f6494a87d_story.html

Chinese authorities have been trying for three years to reverse the devastating imbalances of their one-child policy and coax couples to have more children.

They’ve told couples that it’s their patriotic duty to have two babies. They’ve dangled tax breaks and housing subsidies. They’ve offered to make education cheaper and parental leave longer. They’ve tried to make it more difficult to get an abortion or a divorce.

None of this has worked. China’s birthrate remains stubbornly low and men massively outnumber women, creating a demographic crisis that could hinder economic growth for decades to come.

But now, an economics professor at Fudan University in Shanghai has come up with another — and, unsurprisingly, controversial — solution: allow women to have multiple husbands, and they will have multiple babies.

“I wouldn’t suggest polyandry if the gender ratio was not so severely imbalanced,” Yew-Kwang Ng, who is Malaysian, wrote in his regular column on a Chinese business website this month. The headline asked: “Is polyandry really a ridiculous idea?”

“I’m not advocating for polyandry, I’m just suggesting that we should consider the option in the face of an imbalanced gender ratio,” he continued.

Beijing’s one-child policy is gone. But many Chinese are still reluctant to have more.

For 36 years, China’s ruling Communist Party stipulated that couples could have only one child except in special circumstances, such as if they lived in a rural area and their first child was a girl or a disabled boy. It was part of a strategy to boost China’s growth rate and its living standards at the same time.

The policy worked too well. In China today, home to 1.4 billion people, there are 100 million only-children under the age of 40. But the traditional preference for sons — and the associated practice of aborting girls — means that there are about 34 million more men than women.

That in itself is a big problem. But add into the mix a tendency among millennial women to delay marriage and having even one baby — or none at all — and it’s a demographic time bomb.

China’s population is forecast to peak at 1.45 billion as soon as 2027, then start a long decline. About one-third of the population will be over the age of 65 by 2050.

In 2015, the Communist Party started unwinding the one-child policy, but it has had almost no impact. Women increasingly want careers of their own, and many would rather channel their energy into giving just one child a good start in life than splitting their resources between two.
Enter Professor Ng.

His suggestion to solve the oversupply of men is to allow involuntary bachelors — known as “bare branches” in Chinese because they cannot bear fruit for their family tree — to share the relatively scarce supply of women.

“If two men are willing to marry the same wife and the woman is willing, too, what reason does society have to stop them sharing a wife?” Ng asked, citing polygamy as a common custom in ancient times and a continuing practice in some strains of Islam.

In China and India, men outnumber women on a massive scale

“I’m not denying the advantages of monogamy here, such as how exclusive long-term relationships can benefit kids’ growth and education,” Ng wrote in his column, according to the website SupChina, which first reported in English about the controversial remarks. “But given China’s skewed sex ratio, it’s necessary to consider allowing polyandry legally.”

Plus, it would just be more efficient, he continued, suggesting that women would have no trouble meeting the physical needs of multiple husbands.

“It’s common for prostitutes to serve more than 10 clients in a day,” Ng wrote, before taking off on another offensive tangent. “Making meals for three husbands won’t take much more time than for two husbands,” he added.

Ng’s column went viral on the Chinese Internet. And many women on Weibo, China’s version of Twitter, were unimpressed.

“It made me throw up,” wrote a woman calling herself Keely, asking why Ng didn’t put himself in the woman’s shoes.

“I’m shocked by what he says. Is it 2020 now?” asked Fuduoduo.

“Let me translate what he means: he wants to legalize sex slaves,” said another.

Ng is steeling for a fight. He wrote that his next column aimed at redressing gender imbalances would be about legalizing brothels.

Because China’s gender mismatch has caused a fierce competition among men looking for wives, he said, “a man’s right to achieving sexual satisfaction is being severely violated if legal sex work is not allowed.”

Legalizing sex work and building more brothels would allow men to attend to their “urgent needs,” he wrote.

Stand by for more outrage on Weibo, and beyond.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 03:48PM

I have been an advocate of polyandry (for others) for some time now.

Basically, because of what testicles "do" to a human as it develops.

We end up with an adult creature with too direct a connection to its primitive past.

Since that is not likely to change, having one woman with multiple husbands is a possible remedy.

I personally favor one wife with three or five husbands, because while one takes her shopping, the other two or four can go play golf.

Imagine being a kid and having multiple dads helping you grow up!

Could things go wrong? Sure, but it won't be any more imperfect than it is now.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 07:41PM

This makes no sense. How would polyandry help the birth rate? Without birth control she's gonna have one every 10-12 months even with one husband, right?

What Am I missing? Something to do with the tradition of parental care obligations? A child would still only have one bio father to be obligated to care for.

I've been working since dawn maybe I'm dense right now...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 07:53PM

I believe you caught EOD in jest. With that character you must always have your irony antennae extended!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2020 07:54PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 08:05PM

My Irony detector is normally a point of pride for me...sigh.

[making fishhook-in-mouth motion]

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 08:07PM

If I mention golf, I'm being silly!

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 03:50PM

This might make MORmONism more acceptable in China.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 04:06PM

Men in China vastly outnumber women ? Gee, I wonder why .

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 09:49PM

I know. Too bad that there was no way to forsee a future devastating gender imbalance.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 08:59AM

Likely just one word.....abortion. A male child is/was prized in China.

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: June 12, 2020 04:41PM

I’m assuming willingness to adopt out baby girls to people in the west had at least some implant on the numbers.

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: June 12, 2020 04:46PM

Can’t the chinese, the world leaders in making stuff, make something to satisfy needs?

And more than one husband? No thank you. Imagine the dirty dishes, socks on the floor and fights over the barbecue.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: June 10, 2020 04:32PM

I worked in China, for a Chinese company, when this policy was reversed. None of the people I worked with wanted more than one child.It is customary in China for sons to care for their parents in old age. In the past, when China was primarily an agriculture based society, there were often 4-8 male children to spread out caring for the parents. A Chinese man may have been responsible for 20% of the care of his parents. With the one child policy, the one male son became responsible for not only caring for his parents, but also for his wife's parents, if he was lucky enough to find a wife. So now one man became responsible for providing 100% of the care for two sets of parents. Many of the men I worked with were even reluctant to have one child, let alone two, just because of the workload he was inheriting. They only considered having one child simply so they would have someone to help provide for them in old age.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 12:25AM

Posted by: Adamantine ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 07:58AM

Date: June 11, 2020 03:10PM

So I introduce a word you don't know and you transform it into your moniker?

As for social engineering of families, what about tax codes that encourage marriage? What about child tax credits? What about state subsidies to help with child care?

Or is it just when cultural Marxists interfere that it is wrong? What say you, adamantine Deng?

Date: June 11, 2020 08:13PM

You mean like U.S. abortion laws interfering with the family ?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 09:34AM

I see a big problem with it, and that is that the woman will end up having little actual choice in the matter. They would be shared property. Also, the rivalry between the men would be fierce.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 09:36AM

I think nature is against that plan. From what I have seen, very few women want polyandry.
I think more men would want polgyny than women want polyandry.
Men think of it as a status symbol. Perhaps that is why you had kings with 400 wives in the past.
Men also think of it as fun fun time.

Personally, I am not interested in either one.
Like Daryl Hall and John Oats say, No, I can't go for that, No can do.

~~~~iceman9090

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2020 09:39AM by iceman9090.

Date: June 11, 2020 03:06PM

This is an admission that women are nothing more than baby making factories.

Date: June 11, 2020 03:12PM

Will this hurt my prospects for getting a Chinese mail order wife ?

Date: June 11, 2020 03:13PM

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 07:22PM

Didn't the Chinese, as one time, kill the female babies?

You get what you reap.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 11:48PM

+pollythinks:
Yes. For some reason, when a girl gets married, the father of the girl has to pay for all the expenses for the party.
Why don't both families share the expenses?
Instead, they opt to get abortions if the baby is a girl.

Other than that, I heard that the son is expected to help the parents as they get older.
Why couldn't a daughter do it?

~~~~iceman9090

Date: June 12, 2020 12:00AM

It's a question of retirement.

In China, there is no social security; nor is there a dependable healthcare system. So if you get old, your only option is to rely on your children. Historically, boys were worth a lot more than girls because boys (originally) farmed better than girls and (later) earned more due to disparities in wages for men and women. So during the one-child period, poor Chinese had a way of "losing" their female babies.

It was criminal, tragic. It also indicates the importance of having a basic retirement/healthcare system for the infirm and the elderly. That is a lesson some rich countries should bear in mind too.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 12, 2020 12:15AM

Date: June 11, 2020 11:05PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 11, 2020 11:09PM

I'm volunteering to help;

Pls send airfare & a chit for pre-paid lodging & meals, entertainment & travel to me...

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: June 12, 2020 12:24AM

Ha ha ha. Are you cute?

Date: June 12, 2020 12:29AM

Hahahahaha!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 12, 2020 05:48PM

Dorothy: Beth met me in person a while ago @ Seattle's Green Lake park, U can ask her;

P.S. I'm interested..

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.