Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 23, 2020 08:52PM

I don't have anything the least bit brilliant to say. Just a passing thought or ten. Why do people follow people? Especially people that other people don't think much of? How does a particular person grab the attention of a crowd? Are they extra-magnetic, over and above the rank and file? Is the crowd particularly subservient in some cases? How does a "leader" pull in devoted followers that won't desert them no matter what they do or say while onlookers say what the heck - that guy's a fool or a charlatan and demonstrably so? And etc.

Also, why does some relative unknown person, speaking quietly yet commandingly, hold a roomful spellbound? Something to do with the importance of the exchange? Or the speaker truly imparting something of value to the audience?

And why does someone like a Mormon prophet, for instance, find himself revered as being God's mouthpiece (sounds highly unsanitary and undesirable to me) when he is lacking in personability, charisma or anything brilliant (and non-repetitious) to say or something inspiring perhaps?

The prompt for these queries of mine came from seeing a political leader delighting his audience when more neutral observers ask what's all the fuss about.

Maybe the answer is that it is more about a person in the crowd and their expectations, desires or needs and the weight they're prepared to give to a speaker or leader.

Thinking of the Mormons again, as we know - it is detailed here regularly - their leaders are not chosen based on merit. You're bound to get a few duds in that case.

And same for other areas of life.

In non-Mormon churches of my acquaintance the head minister/pastor/priest/leader usually has a bit of magnetism about them and a few deep thoughts here and there to inspire people with.

It makes a difference.

You shouldn't really settle for spending too many boring hours in one lifetime. A little enthusiasm and excitement can go a long way and that cannot be over-rated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2020 08:52PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 23, 2020 09:23PM

Wonderful question! (And one I've been wondering about since I was about ten or eleven years old, and was forced--by our across-the-road neighbors--to watch Billy Graham for the entire length of his presentation on Los Angeles television. They were oohing and aahing over every one of his words, and all I saw was an intensely boring, but scary to me, man with a message which was adverse to everything I knew to be "true.")

I can answer one (unimportant) part of this question because I once worked in a field where knowledge of this fact was critical:

When it comes to young (maybe age nine or ten, maybe eleven and above) adolescent girls, they react strongly and positively to androgynous males. Where I worked (at a company which published three monthly fan magazines) we had a woman whose responsibility it was to take a standard, 8"x10," black and white head shot of a potential male teenage idol wannabe and add "makeup" (eye makeup and lip makeup, mostly) to it to see if that shot could be perceived as a beautiful female.

If this could be done (Davy Jones, Sajid Khan, Mark Lindsay, the younger Elvis, etc.), then we had a genuine candidate for one of our company's next "faves."

If it could NOT be done (because that male's bone structure was so emphatically masculine, etc.), then that person would never make it as a pop idol for that market segment.

I learned a great deal of unexpected wisdom from that process, and perhaps something similar is going on in the question you ask.

What I do know is that there are usually unconscious "rules" in effect which determine how we humans (perhaps humans of a specific society, or societal segment) react to other humans.

Attraction (magnetism, etc.) CAN be understood, if the "rule" can be consciously seen and acknowledged.

The problem is [first] perceiving that a process is in play, and then analyzing that process until the underlying "rule" becomes apparent.

I know this doesn't answer your question (which is a REALLY good question!), but it does indicate that "rules" may exist beneath our conscious awareness--which is the first step towards solving the situations you cite.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2020 09:58PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 23, 2020 09:29PM

Humans. They follow. Sheep too. And Wildebeests? Probably the pinnacle of following. Lemmings are rumored to be the virtuosos at it but I heard that is just a rumor after all.

Survival instinct makes some crave strength in numbers as the individual feels vulnerable as a solo act. An entire group can't be wrong, now, can it? We must be the true church cuz we are gathering more followers faster than anyone. Well, used to.

Great excuse, too. "All the other kids were doing it!"

They say some newborns will follow the wrong animal if they see it first before their mother. Bond with whatever is walking by. Is that true? Probably. Like being BIC. Following is tricky.

Got to be careful. Judas goats are a real deal and not just at slaughterhouses. So neat and orderly the sheep just following along after Billy in stead of being herded. What could go wrong?

Most likely following is instinctual except for those few that got the leader goat gene. I would say most Exmo's got the goat gene. Luckily, not the Judas goat gene. The Prophet and Apostles got that one.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 23, 2020 09:54PM

In the case of mormons, I think it's not the person who is revered, but the position.

The TBMs who faithfully post on social media the latest word from Russ Nelson while gushing about how profound it is were the same ones who posted the latest word from Tommy Monson while gushing about how profound it was.

If Russ dies this week, by next week the same TBMs will be posting the latest word fron Dallin Hoax - and gushing about how profound it is!

It doesn't really matter who the person holding the office is - whether it is president or bishop - the attention of TBMs and the value of what is expressed devolves from the office not the individual. Mormon leaders are completely expendable. When one leaves, the successor is now the only one that matters.

The prophet is dead. Long live the prophet.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 27, 2020 12:47AM

I agree. Nelson has the charisma of a tree stump. How many women are really attracted to 95 year olds? The priesthood is an MLM scheme with GAs at the top of the pyramid. The rank and file hold fewer keys on down to 12-year-old deacons who have more priesthood in their pinky than the pope has in his entire body. Would the church lie?

The priesthood hierarchy is a replacement for the usual primate male dominance hierarchy. Which is good, because how could the GAs compete?

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: June 26, 2020 11:20PM

Mormon leaders with charisma lol.

The last one was supposedly Hinckley but he had about as much charisma as a talking toad and the same in the looks department. All of the Q15 follow after him and want to be like him.

To answer your question, mormons are too stupid and unappealing to lead. They must be led by society or more charismatic leaders while thinking they are leading.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 27, 2020 01:38AM

I remember D.O. McKay, a robot pen signed my missionary ordination certificate!

He presented as easy-going grandpa type which was commendable & not too very mentally demanding.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.