Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: curiouser ( )
Date: June 24, 2020 10:04PM

Growing up I was taught that everyone becomes white when they’re resurrected. I can’t find any scriptures or quotes from prophets stating this.
Was anyone else taught this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 24, 2020 10:08PM

Sorry I accidentally posted twice because I didn’t realize the first one posted. I can’t figure out how to delete one.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: June 24, 2020 10:12PM

yes. it's an obvious takeaway if you read the Book of Mormon carefully. Early in 3 Nephi, some Lamanites who joined with the Nephites and converted were turned white again. The risen Lord is described as white; the Nephite congregation turn white when he touches them with his spirit. Everything holy and sanctified is white and delight-some.

I'm sure there are some direct quotes from Brigham Young or Joseph F. Smith to the effect as well.

The point is that skins of blackness like all other things in mortality are done away in the resurrection when everything is made whole again. God is white. Jesus is white. Mary is white. Adam and Eve were white. The human family was originally white until people like Cain or Laman and Lemuel screwed up and got their posterities turned a different color. It's all there in the mormon scriptures. You are not crazy. Many Mormons low-key believe this shit even if they won't say it. I believed it. I didn't know any better. It's God-awful wrong, wrong, wrong, but there it is.

Date: June 24, 2020 10:19PM

Thank you for your reply. So when people become righteous they become white, Mormons are inferring that resurrected beings must be white.
Sure wish I could find a direct quote though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2020 10:23PM by curiouser.

Date: June 24, 2020 10:23PM

I'm curious if anyone high up has out and said it explicitly before. I have a copy of Mormonism and the Negro, an old tract defending the priesthood ban. I'll see if there's anything in there. I shall return and report.

Date: June 24, 2020 10:24PM

Thank you!

Date: June 24, 2020 11:19PM

nuthin.

But I can compile a list of BofM scriptures for you.

Jacob 3:8 - Jacob fears lest the Lamanites' skin will be whiter than the Nephites' skin at the last day (read: the ressurection) because of their sins. There's apparently some alignment between skin color and righteousness on judgement day.

2 Nephi 5:21-23 - God turns Laman and Lemuel and their families dark-skinned for rebelling against him. They were originally white and exceedingly fair and delightsome, and God gave them loathsome ethnic features that they might not be enticing unto Nephi's people sexually.

2 Nephi 30:6 - modern BofMs change the wording of this verse from "white and a delightsome people" to "pure and delightsome people" in an effort to negate the original meaning of the verse. It was originally taken as a prophecy that some day the Lamanites would turn white again. And while this verse has been redacted, the theme remains in other verses.

3 Nephi 2:14-16 - Lamanites unite with the Nephites against the Gadianton robbers and it says "the curse" was taken from them and their skins became white like the nephites, and their sons and daughters became exceedingly fair.

3 Nephi 19: 25,30 - The light of the ressurected Lord's countenance shines on his praying disciples, and they become as white as the both countenance and the raiment of Jesus. TBMs sometimes postulate that this whiteness is just the ethereal glow that ressurected and translated being give off because they're so holy. But in light of the other verses, it might just be referring to skin color.

1 Nephi 11:13 - jesus' mother was exceedingly fair and white, even a virgin most beautiful and fair above all other virgins.

1 nephi 13:15 Nephi sees in vision that the American colonists were fair and white like unto the Nephites before they were slain.

Moral of the story: everyone's white until someone sins so bad that God puts a curse on their posterity, hence why the children of Adam and Eve have so much ethnic variation despite being only six thousand years old. But there is hope that one day that curse will be lifted, if not in this life then definitely in the resurrection. Jesus is white. His mother was white -- white as Caucasian pasty white. The Nephites were white. The assumption is that the Jews were always white. Everyone was white going back to Adam and Eve, who were created in the image of God who is white. Whiteness is godliness is purity is civilization which is closely tied to being Christian. What you've got to understand though is that this is just how white Christians thought of themselves in the world at that time. They didn't set out consciously to make characters white that they knew weren't white. They didn't think about it. It was just obvious. Mormonism isn't uniquely racist; it's just unique in the sense that a so-called prophet living at that time wrote a bunch of then-current prejudices down in his pseudopigrapha which became the founding text of the church and a test of its legitimacy, and now they're stuck with it. They have to put lipstick on the pig or admit that their religion was conceived by men, and what's cruel about this wishy-washiness is the many thousands of black and indigenous latter-day saints who fervantly believe this crap or are stuck somewhere between a testimony and their self-respect who could have a lot healthier view of themselves and their place in the world if the Brethren would just admit that those verses are the product of white supremacist worldview and they never happened. It would also ease up the consciences of a lot of white members who feel like they have to defend these verses, water them down, soften their blow, but often can't to their shame but also can't bring themselves to question the church.

Date: June 24, 2020 11:25PM

These scriptures are perfect! Thank you.
Also on the other thread I accidentally started someone posted this quote from Brigham Young:
“When all the other children of Adam have had the privilege of receiving the Priesthood, and of coming into the kingdom of God, and of being redeemed from the four quarters of the earth, and have received their resurrection from the dead, then it will be time enough to remove the curse from Cain and his posterity. He deprived his brother of the privilege of pursuing his journey through life, and of extending his kingdom by multiplying upon the earth; and because he did this, he is the last to share the joys of the kingdom of God." (Brigham Young, JoD, vol. 2, p. 143)

Date: June 24, 2020 11:30PM

yep. curse of cain = skin color. don't let any mormon tell you it was only the priesthood ban. They need to own it or disown it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 24, 2020 10:18PM

Not only are you white but you get back all missing body parts and you are 21 again.

Date: June 24, 2020 10:21PM

And thy tonsils shall be restored

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 24, 2020 10:26PM

circumcisions ?

Date: June 24, 2020 10:32PM

And thy foreskin shall be restored to the fullness of its glory

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 24, 2020 10:40PM

but... will my gfs recognize me???

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 25, 2020 12:47AM

It's my understanding that in mormon heaven, women, AKA baby-makers, do not have the power of thought or speech, existing only to bear children, this making the celestial kingdom a true heaven.

Please bow your heads and say, "moo".

Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: June 25, 2020 08:42AM

Moooo

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 25, 2020 03:47PM

Of course. You think Mormon god wants any brownish people in his kingdom?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 26, 2020 01:56PM

The landscaping maintains itself?

Date: June 26, 2020 03:44PM

Órale, guey!

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: June 25, 2020 04:35PM

Joseph F. Smith taught this concept in at least one case, as per Wilford Woodruff's biographer, Matthias F. Cowley in Wilford Woodruff History of His Life and Labors AS RECORDED IN HIS DAILY JOURNALS:

He said in his journal of October that year that Aunt Jane the colored sister had been to see him. She was anxious to go through the Temple and receive the higher ordinances of the gospel. President Woodruff blessed her for her constant, never changing devotion to the gospel, but explained to her her disadvantages as one of the descendants of Cain.

In after years when President Joseph F Smith preached the funeral sermon of this same faithful woman he declared that she would in the resurrection attain the longings of her soul and become a white and beautiful person.

Date: June 25, 2020 08:41PM

Implicit in this theme is "...isn't it obvious that EVERYONE would chose to be White & Delightsome?!!"

But as modern hormone we know that we'll be able to alter our skin color to suit our moods and to perhaps display our intentions.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 26, 2020 02:06PM

As many of you know I have been studying translations of Sumerian cuneiform tablet for many years now.
One of these "the Lost Book of Enki" Proposes an alternative human creation story. Part of this talks briefly of the skin color of the newly created human.
Now I don't care whether or not you accept this I am just putting it out here for your consideration

"Shaggy like the wild ones he was not, dark black his head hair was,
Smooth was his skin, smooth as the Anunnaki skin it was,
Like dark red blood was its color, like the clay of the Abzu was its hue. (Negroid genetically?)"

This would shed an entirely different light on white at ressurrection

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2020 08:40PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 26, 2020 02:10PM

Brigham Young: “What the fetch!?!”

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.