Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hujo2MAGA ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 06:52PM

Hello again everyone, I've had this idea for a while but it's a good one in my opinion. My exmo cousin (18 and recently escaped) and I had the idea to make a book about the trap of mormonism and how to escape. The trap would be things that they do to brainwash you from 0-adult age. He knows about escaping, and we both know about dealing with mormon family. I think there's lots of other exemormon books, but this is more for fun with a little money on the side. What do you all think? Anything else we should add in?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 07:09PM

The most compelling book is the personal narrative -- telling your own story.

Let the focus be THAT. Refer to the inconsistencies an lies I am sure you have uncovered, but realize there are hundreds of books that already cover that.

Just tell your own story.

Maybe you and your cousin could write alternate chapters -- where it began, when your doubts began to surface, where you are today.

As someone who has read hundreds of ex-Mormon books, from every era in which they were written, that is my advice.
Lois

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 11:51PM

...and see how that works.

One more thought: join a writing group or two, read and critique other people's material, and let them analyze and comment on yours.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 07:10PM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 11:50PM

Take notes and categorize those things which you consider significant conditioning practices (brainwashing). A thought: some are doctrinal, some are ecclesiastical (church practice) and others are cultural (Common LDS practices).

Als, bear in mind that some of these vary from location to location, and have changed over the years. What was commonly practiced or believed a few decades ago may be different now, or different here (as opposed to "there").

When considering a book project, it's important to read, read, and READ a lot of what other people have done with that, even if it were fiction. Get to know how other people have treated the matter, and think carefully about what you have to offer that is new or different.

Having said all that, there is a lot of material out there, on cults and cultic mind control in general, and LDS in particular. Whatever you do, you'll learn a lot!

Posted by: hujo2MAGA ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 03:37PM

Yes, I'll make sure to put "Written on current events in the year 2020"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.