Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 07:28PM

I was apologizing to people in the freaking Lincoln Lumber Ace Hardware store *for* wearing a mask and for staying six feet away from someone.

The checkout line is a cattle chute, and the guy ahead of me was yapping it up with the cashier. I was finished, but that's okay. I'll wait.

Right now there's a lot of waiting, and I don't see it ending any time soon. People BEHIND me start telling me to pass the guy in front of me, who incidentally was not wearing a mask but was rocking an awesome mullet and driving a sweet new Mustang. The beach tank completed his look. (I used to have a mullet, but at the time - the '80s - we called it having our hair "cut behind the ears." When I was in my 40s, my daughter was looking at my high school yearbook. She laughed and said, "YOU HAD A MULLET." To which I replied, "No. My hair was cut behind my ears." I had a mullet. I would take a '66 Mustang without a moment's hesitation, and maybe I used to wear beach tanks at the beach over another more revealing piece of clothing. That was in the '90s.)

So, yeah. I'm not going to pass that guy until he's finished. I told the people behind me as much. And I apologized and thanked everyone for their patience.

I went outside and got the shakes. Not beverages - The Shakes. I hate The Shakes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2020 07:48PM by Beth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 08:07PM

in ~

4 ~

pics ~

Date: June 28, 2020 08:11PM

I might have exchanged words with him in the parking lot. Maybe.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 08:19PM

It's tragic that masks are part of the culture war.

Date: June 28, 2020 09:03PM

He asked me if I knew what "asymptomatic" meant. I and said, yes, and that's why I was wearing the mask. He said the increase in cases is due to more testing. I asked him about the spike in hospitalizations. He said Big Pharma gets $7K per bed per day. I asked about the spike in deaths. He didn't have an answer. I was like, "Look. I know three people who had it and one who died, and I'm coming at this from a different perspective and masks are a pain in the ass and..." He said that they are ineffective. I had nothing. So, I said my sister-in-law was the first person I know to get it. She lives in New Orleans, was hospitalized for 11 days, recovered, but she has permanent heart damage. A dear friend caught it - when her son came home from work, he found her unconscious on the floor, and she died two days later.

I was getting to my cousin in MD who is a physical therapist, and the dude asked...

"Did they have underlying health conditions?"

And that's when I lost it and said, "Yeah! They're human beings!"

And I wish I had not gone there to try to find kiddie pools for the ducks. I was so happy and so stoked. It was my last fun ride in The Beast Suburban from Hell. Now I'm sad, and I wonder if this disease has to touch the lives of every person who thinks this is some sort of joke or plot before they take it seriously.

People are dying. I don't understand why there needs to be a death-toll tipping point before people take this disease seriously. It's incredibly sad and scary. I don't know why people think they've had it and they're better, so they don't need to take precautions, or that they're in perfect health, so they don't need to take precautions.

It's dismaying and depressing. I shouldn't have commented on his hair, car, and shirt. At least I didn't hope he gets it, because I don't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2020 09:14PM by Beth.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 02:01AM

Beth, dear, there will always be knotheads. The very notion that "of course cases are soaring, because there is more testing" makes me want to bash my head into the wall. (I can't, though, because I had surgery on my forehead less than a month ago for skin cancer, so it wouldn't work out well at all.)

There is no leadership at the very top. We have a science-denier who is incapable of getting with the program.

I'm just grateful that in my State, we have a bright and responsible Governor who is staying out in front, mandating mask-wearing, and because of idiots who insist that it is their "right" not to wear masks, she is considering making masks MANDATORY on the basis that these people are guilty of threatening their fellow citizens within the community. She plans to kick ass, and is fully capable of doing it.

Don't lose heart. Not everyone is caving in to the Nectarine Nazi.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 10:41AM

+Beth:

==The question is
When should I be worried?

Let's say I don't have any health issues.
Should I be worried?

Answer: If you become a carrier of the COVID-19, then you are a tool being used by COVID-19 to propagate itself to other hosts. You will infect EVERYONE. The young, the old, the weak and meek.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 10:46AM

And that's when I lost it and said, "Yeah! They're human beings!"

Brilliant come back. Hat's off to you. I always think of what to say twenty minutes later.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 09:16PM

It’s almost like dumbing down America for political reasons wasn’t a good idea.

Date: June 28, 2020 09:19PM

And it has more to do with the stupid than with the disease.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 09:49PM

No kidding Beth. I’m actually hoping my furlough turns into a lay-off so I don’t have to go back to our office. Too many this is all a hoax people there.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 28, 2020 11:59PM

Headline : "Barista attacked online for refusing to serve woman without face mask gets more than $50,000 in tips"

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 01:43AM

I'm starting to hear about teachers and related service providers (school counselors, SLPs, OTs, etc.) who won't be going back to school. They're taking early retirement, or quitting and relying on their spouse's income. I know my school district is worried about it, and now I'm starting to see an indication that it will indeed be happening.

I think that most people in stores are trying, but I agree, it can be aggravating. I'll feel someone too close to me, wait for them to pass, and then they stop right in front of me. At least where I live, most people are compliant on masks. But a few think they are chin guards, and I saw a family group today where the school-aged children were not wearing masks.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 29, 2020 12:04PM

"... was rocking an awesome mullet and driving a sweet new Mustang. The beach tank completed his look."

Was he telling the clerk "Don't be jealous that I've chatting online with babes all day."?

(That's my third 'Napoleon Dynamite' reference in 20 minutes--gosh!)

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: June 30, 2020 12:00AM

Congratulations on your restraint, in not going all Philly on his rude ass. I have hair that curls rather than gets long, so I never had a mullet, but I'm still rocking the now 15 year old red Mustang. Empirical evidence has proved that beach tanks are not a good look for me though. :-(

Date: June 30, 2020 11:26PM

when people are giving you a hard time and, oh, spreading their germs.

I'm avoiding everyone from here on out.

My neck is stiff, but I think that's because I tripped over some chicken wire, fell on my ass and hit my head on the ground.

You know that feeling when you're lying there wondering if you should try to move? Yeah. But I'm okay. grass gives, and my noggin' is hard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 12:13AM by Beth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.