Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 02:19PM

We've had a couple of posts lately that question the effectiveness of masks in the Covid-19 era. It's important to wear a mask when you're around other people, but perhaps not for the reason you might think.

There are two different scenarios for wearing a mask to prevent infection:

1. Medical personnel wear special masks to protect them from getting infected from people they are treating. These are not the same masks that public health professionals are asking everyone else to wear. A proper medical mask does a pretty good job of keeping the wearer from getting infected. It must be appropriately designed from specific materials and be individually fitted to the wearer. The wearer must be trained on how to properly put the mask on and take it off. Do this right and the person wearing the mask is well protected, even around lots of infected patients.

2. The general public needs to wear something over the mouth and nose to decrease the disease's transmission rate. Such masks protect the wearer from others a little and protect others from the wearer quite a bit. The real reason we are asked to wear masks in public is statistical: it cuts down on the "reproduction rate" of the virus. The reproduction rate is denoted with the letter R and is the average number of other people that an infected person will infect over the course of the disease. If R equals 1, each infected person infects one other person (on average) and the level of the disease stays steady. If R is greater than 1, each infected person infects more than one other person (on average), so the pandemic grows. If R is less than 1, each infected person infects fewer than one other person (on average), so the pandemic shrinks. It's vital to get R below 1 to stop the pandemic.

This article from the Atlantic does a good job explaining how things work: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/dont-wear-mask-yourself/610336/

One of the takeaway statistics from the article is this:

"Models show that if 80 percent of people wear masks that are 60 percent effective, easily achievable with cloth, we can get to an effective R of less than one. That’s enough to halt the spread of the disease." The graph of outcomes for different use rates and mask efficacies is also enlightening.

If we can get R down to less than 0.5, the pandemic will be largely gone in a few weeks. This is why it is vital for everyone to wear a mask in public. The more people wearing masks (plus social distancing and all the other guidelines that we've been asked to follow), the sooner this damned disease will stop bothering us.

Masks are not a silver bullet. I don't know of anyone who said they were. Nor are they a conspiracy theory or quack protection (like temple garments). They are an important tool in the public health toolbox for ending the pandemic. If people wear them, they also allow us to keep the economy largely open instead of everyone being in lockdown.

Masks are a good thing. Please wear one.

CZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 02:54PM by Concrete Zipper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 02:23PM

I do when in public

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 02:43PM

Thank you CZ!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 02:57PM

Thank-you, CZ. I have wondered if the mods get tired of our constantly beating away at it, but we do know that ignorance kills.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 03:09PM

I wear a mask without complaint.

The symbolism that the mask somehow reflects a particular political bent is aggravating, however.

I do not wish to judge or be judged by others based on a mask or lack thereof.

Judging on personal hygiene, hand washing habits, the strength of your immune system, demonstrating careful social distancing and whether or not one is a silent carrier of the virus makes much more sense as a measure of social acceptability.

But a mask is easy to use to “profile” someone. (Remember when profiling was a bad thing?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 03:10PM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: Adam the empath ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 03:12PM

No one expected that the warrior would still be wearing a mask especially here in idaho but i am. A small price to pay to keep myself and others from getting sick with this thing. If i don't help the greater good and not take life seriously i know the universe will be displeased with me and there may be consequences.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 03:17PM

I would have expected you, CZ, above all to have refrained from delving into politics on the board. Yet here you are, naively taking the consensus of the vast majority of scientists, the WHO, the CDC, and other miscreants as gospel truth rather than recognizing the pure gospel as distilled through God's own president and his apologists.

For shame, you naive and gullible man.

For shame!

Date: July 06, 2020 03:27PM

I admit to being a sucker for science. :-)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 03:28PM

Me too. *LOL*

Date: July 06, 2020 03:30PM

Watch what you say, Delete Account, or I'll be comin' for you!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 08:19PM

But CZ, dontcha know science is really only a tool of Satan? Stan be busy bro.

Posted by: Adam the Empath ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 12:34AM

I have not gotten fully on board with science for explaining all things. I think the fact that i may have a soul disqualifies me. Sorry zipper i know i disappoint you.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 03:58PM

I'm beginning to think a lot of people got zero exposure to general principals of microbiology in junior high school or beyond.

Barriers (any!) and distance are the foundations taught for combating respiratory transmission, just like the petri dish demonstrations that show handwashing impacts physical transmission of bacteria.

Just like a lot depends on how well hands get washed, there are variances in the quality of the mask and how they are being utilized by those who wear them. Sure, at first there was such a shortage and medical personnel deserved priority of the higher quality masks. However, any barrier and space is better than none.

We could have prevented a lot of transmission by not being so selfish and uninformed. If only we had had some kind of relevant coherent message coming from the top using basic common sense about barriers and distance from basic science class instead of He-Man anti-science fumbling. I don't envy scientists who were afraid of losing their jobs because they had to dance around political messaging and scientific facts.

We are suffering from the results of a growing scientific illiteracy, as we can see from a few posters here.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 04:12PM

CZ said: “Such masks protect the wearer from others a little and protect others from the wearer quite a bit. The real reason we are asked to wear masks in public is statistical: it cuts down on the "reproduction rate" of the virus.”

Please allow me to add what seems to me a critical point:

An even better way, the best way, to cut down the reproduction rate is to continue self-isolation. The situation in the U.S. right now is much worse now than at any other time during the pandemic.

So, if you are among the most vulnerable populations, and it’s possible for you, stay home as much as possible and limit who you see as much as possible.

Masks are necessary, and in part will help prevent the spread Of covid-19, but don’t let that give you a false sense of security. Right now the virus is more prevalent in the US than at any other time, which means that for the immune compromised etc going outside is more dangerous now than at any other time.

Date: July 06, 2020 04:29PM

Thanks, this is an important point.

Those with symptoms, or who have been exposed to those with the virus, or who are immunocompromised, or are elderly or otherwise high risk should definitely self isolate.

Masks help control the transmission under normal circumstances, but there are better ways to control it if the circumstances are known to be more dire.

Date: July 06, 2020 07:42PM

I was reading a comment by a contact tracer elsewhere on the web. She was saying that she is hearing from a number of people who *know* that they are testing positive who don't care and are going out anyway. They are going to work, to the beach, and are traveling.

Just something to be aware of. Yes, some people really are that ignorant and uncaring. It's probably best to limit your public interactions to the minimum necessary.

Posted by: Zeeeeezrom ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 04:16PM

LOL – sheep!

Date: July 06, 2020 04:25PM

You're a baaaaaaad debater, Zeeeeezrom, if that's the best you can come up with.

You might want to try embracing reality instead of believing all of the conspiracy theories that the ignorant and the politically motivated are spreading.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 04:59PM

In my mind, he's just needy and this posturing allows him to feel an inflated sense of self-worth. He is self-proclaiming his imagined superiority because no one else Is going to do it.

Date: July 12, 2020 10:58AM

Wow, never seen zipper reply to someone quite like this. There must be a history between the zeeeezrom and the zipper. Battle of the z's.

Date: July 12, 2020 02:10PM

There was a time on a different ex-Mo board when CZ was an ordinary poster just like you and me. For many of us that is a truly inspirational concept:

As you are, CZ once was; as CZ is, you may become.

Date: July 12, 2020 04:35PM

Do i want to be like zipper? Maybe. He definitely has more patience with people than i. I think i have improved though.

Date: July 12, 2020 04:58PM

Yeah, he's really wealthy too. A lot of people don't know his true identity, but his initials are BG and he knows a lot about epidemics and computer chips.

Date: July 12, 2020 07:08PM

Wealthy or poor i like the guy.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 07:03PM

At the risk of feeding a troll....

This is such a troll response. He (I think it’s not a stretch at all to assume that Zeeeeezrom is male) has absolutely nothing to counter the OP’s position, so he just throws out a childish insult.

Date: July 06, 2020 07:06PM

And it isn't just this topic. Zeeezrom shouts from below many topical bridges.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 04:33PM

In this regard it is much better than being a mad cow. Choosing to die because you can't breath is not as noble as breathing less in order to continuing breathing.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 11:46AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Choosing to die because you can't breath is
> not as noble as breathing less in order to
> continuing breathing.
===============================

Whoa, mind blown -- that is either a kōan or haiku, EB
Or you're channeling Yoda again

At the other extreme, in considering cows,
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S6ag1bIabg0

Date: July 07, 2020 04:40PM

Zeeeeezrom Wrote:
> LOL – sheep!

Quite the contrary. We just choose science over your shepherd.

Date: July 07, 2020 06:10PM

Wearing a mask is more altruistic than many people understand.

Date: July 07, 2020 06:27PM

I think they understand. At least most of them do.

Date: July 07, 2020 06:31PM

My Mormon neighbors think they only protect them and are mad that they can't choose to get out without protection.

Date: July 07, 2020 06:36PM

My my, going out without protection? What do their bishops say?

Date: July 07, 2020 06:40PM

He is all about the masks since they are now required for church. I think that was the straw for breaking their holey camisoles.

Date: July 12, 2020 11:01AM

They have to wear masks at church? Thats kind of funny to picture actually.

Date: July 07, 2020 03:13PM

Fresh graves in the Nossa Senhora Aparecida Brazil "virus cemetery" in Manaus on June 21, 2020.

https://static.timesofisrael.com/www/uploads/2020/06/000_1TU7ZQ.jpg

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 11:21PM

I have just realized that no one can force me to not wear a mask!!

Go ahead and try, I dare you!

Date: July 07, 2020 11:31PM

I'm sending the mask police !

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 11:43PM

I know this is the prevailing wisdom and I do when required...but..

new news articles (won't say studies..just what I've read..)
are now saying that covid can be, or is , airborne..meaning not spread from human contact.

Also, many articles (not studies..) said 2 mos ago that covid would die off (not completely..) in warmer weather.

So we have an uptick in covid cases..why?

- More people getting tested as positive (but many asymptomatic..).

- Recent "gatherings" of many people, "complaining" of recent police activities.

Media won't call this out..

Date: July 08, 2020 12:05AM

> new news articles (won't say studies..just what
> I've read..)
> are now saying that covid can be, or is ,
> airborne..meaning not spread from human contact.

That you don't see the contradiction in that is astonishing.

----------------
> Also, many articles (not studies..) said 2 mos ago
> that covid would die off (not completely..) in
> warmer weather.

Really? Were those articles quoting a certain politician? Because I sincerely doubt you can find a serious scientist making that prediction.

----------------
> So we have an uptick in covid cases..why?
>
> - More people getting tested as positive (but many
> asymptomatic..).

You are kidding, right?

--------------------
> - Recent "gatherings" of many people,
> "complaining" of recent police activities.

That probably made a difference. But why don't you mention religious gatherings, political rallies, prematurely opened restaurants and bars, and the brilliant pols in FL, TX, and SoCal who refused to impose restrictions?

-----------------
I understand. You are reading from a script. I hope you are compensated accordingly.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: July 08, 2020 12:13AM

The statement on number 2 confuses me. If it protects the wearer a little and protects others quite a bit; then why doesn’t the others protect the original wearer quite a bit and only a little? Shouldn’t the result be the same to each person?

Perhaps I’m getting to old to figure it all out. I mostly stay home but wear a mask and gloves so I don’t get cooties.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 08, 2020 12:54PM

wondering Wrote:
> The statement on number 2 [is] confusing... If it protects the wearer a little and protects others quite a bit; then why doesn’t the others protect the original wearer quite a bit and only a little?
>
> Perhaps I’m getting to old to figure it all out.

I can assure you you are not getting too old to figure it all out because the same condition seems to have overcome me, at least according to that statement. Age can't be to blame. It's not it's fault. It didn't do anything wrong.

CZ-OP: "Such masks protect the wearer from others a little and protect others from the wearer quite a bit. The real reason we are asked to wear masks in public is statistical:"

" Quite a bit" - ey, that might be enough. lol

M'Asked' in some places, mandated in others, recommended in some, suggested in others, and even FORCED in MANY areas, businesses, jurisdictions, homes, communities, & even public places in America.

It's different wherever you go, or stay. Remember the kid in the bubble? We are all kids again and must bubble ourselves a bubble a bubble bubble bubble bubble

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 08, 2020 10:21AM

It floors me how many people on social media are STILL posting anti-facemask stuff. They can’t get past thinking it’s a political thing and sticking to the talking points from three months ago. No, face masks do not protect you from infection as much as they protect you from exposing others. So anyone who, at this point, is posting that stuff might as well just be honest and post “I’m an uncaring self-centered bastard and I want the world to know it.”

Date: July 08, 2020 10:35AM

In a mask shell this is it. ^^^^

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 08, 2020 12:26PM

Then we shall be able to meet in person again, FINALLY, (hurray),
instead of meeting and communicating, and sharing though this invisible, long distance, electronic form of communing.

3 reasons for wearing a mask (some do it for all three [some don't know why they're doing it (but at least they are)]): (1) experts advice/ governor's orders/ rules/ laws/ mandates, etc.; (2) to protect yourself and others [health, survival, fitness, life, etc.]; (3) to make others 'feel' more comfortable, safe, normal, etc., and avoid getting harmed, ridiculed, hated, tormented, hit, killed, threatened, detained, bullied, tortured, terrorized, shamed, belittled, feared, etc., etc., etc.

This is my (loose) 3# list. I do it for #3, #2, & #1, not necessarily in that order.

Halloween 2020: when Halloween looks normal compared to these days.

Date: July 08, 2020 12:59PM

Headline : "Neuroscientists warn that we may face a wave of 'Covid linked brain damage'."

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 06:14AM

Too late! The Covid related brain damage has already happened.
It has impaired everyone's ability to think about anything else.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 06:40AM

https://www.france24.com/en/20200711-how-covid-19-can-damage-the-brain

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53081022

I could go on. It's not the flu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2020 06:42AM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 12:16PM

You seem to be like me, Susan. I’ve just been inhaling all the information that comes out about this virus. Fact-filled, science based info. We’ve been wearing masks since March, and now we’ll be adding face shields for when we have to shop.

Scary stuff. BTW, did you get the email I sent awhile back? To the exmolight addy.

TG

Date: July 12, 2020 01:40PM

I'm planning on a mask plus face shield for when I go back to school. I will get a plastic desk partition if I have to share a classroom, and I'll likely get one for my two colleagues as well. Some teachers are also looking at wearing scrubs.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 02:26PM

Summer, I just read about three teachers in Arizona that shared a classroom this summer. All three got covid, one died. So very sad. I hope you stay safe.

TG

Date: July 12, 2020 02:29PM

+ (an emphatic) 1

Date: July 12, 2020 04:34PM

Thanks, guys. I am supposed to be in the same scenario this year, sharing a room with another teacher and a para. I'm hoping that changes, but if it doesn't, I'll get those plastic partitions. I wish that health officials in Arizona would investigate that particular case more thoroughly in order to figure out how the teachers got infected.

Posted by: esias ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 09:03AM

1. The bank tellers and security guards might recognise you.

2. Your name is the boy wonder Robin. And you work for a Mr Batman.

3. The judge wishes to prevent the vicious perpetrator in the public interest from singing. And the lady being lowered into the dock is Adele.

4. You are a stake president and heavily into S&M.

5. A mask is the only item of clothing by Prada that you can afford.

6. For the hilarious business of scaring women and children on Halloween.

7. Your name is Giada. You are a television cook. And when driving your car but without a mask, your teeth tend to blind the oncoming passengers.

8. Your name is Donald Thump and you've been advised by your image consultants to occasionally show your human side.

9. For the hilarious business of not being recognised when roaming Morg neighborhoods just before Christmas and banging on doors on behalf of some bishop to collect tithing settlements.

10. Because when passing some poor soul in the street who points a finger at you then shakes a fist, you need to distinguish their rage at you not wearing a mask, or their recognising you as the missionary bastard who taught them before baptism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.