Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 04:26PM

Headline : "Kaepernick strikes deal with Disney to 'elevate Black and Brown directors, creators, storytellers'"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 06:26PM

Mormons and others talk a lot about having the courage of your convictions. I have long admired those who really do and put it on the line. We all clapped for Howard Beale when he was "Mad as hell and not gonna take it any more." Didn't we? But we didn't throw our televisions out the window. Colin did--so to speak.

Tommie Smith and John Carlos have long been heroes to me. They knew what the price was to pay. So did Colin. But no angry screaming out a window this time. Simple dignified statements that reverberate. Oh, it was an inappropriate place and time you say? OR, was it exactly the right place and time?

While America debates over the propriety of everything, commerce pushes equality. Disney knows what decent people in the country want and are smart enough to give it to them as it is a good financial decision perhaps. Perhaps some of the Disney CEO's have hearts. I doubt it but you never know.

They want everybody's money. Everybody. And that changes things up---often for the good. People treat you nice when they want your money. Well, except for the Mormons.

Date: July 06, 2020 06:35PM

Disney knows that backing Kaepernick is profitable, as does Nike.
NFL is just now beginning to learn this.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 06:46PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 07:11PM by kathleen.

Date: July 06, 2020 07:18PM

Unfortunately, in my line of work, I see abuse of handicapped people.
A lot of my clients are unable to talk and it pains me to see how some of their care providers treat them. I can tell they are glad to see me by their body movements and the noises they make.
One time the police called me to go rescue a man in a power wheelchair who was out in the community on a public sidewalk with a dead wheelchair battery.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 06:15PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unfortunately, in my line of work, I see abuse of
> handicapped people.
> A lot of my clients are unable to talk and it
> pains me to see how some of their care providers
> treat them. I can tell they are glad to see me by
> their body movements and the noises they make.

The dignity of humanity is preserved in your treatment of others. I commend you.

As a young man about to go on a mission I worked a summer at a care facility and at times I wasn't the person you are then. I didn't abuse people but I didn't treat them with the dignity they deserved many times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 06:15PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 07:12PM

"As a young man..."

There's your answer - it's why you can give yourself a break.

"When I was a child I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child...".

Please excuse a Bible quote - but your comment put it into my mind. I think the sentiment stands. As we mature, hopefully we learn and grow and in ways necessary, do better.

But yes, I am impressed too at DtA's choice of work. It can be challenging and not everyone can do it nor wants to.

Date: July 06, 2020 07:36PM

Headline : "Employees at Jimmy Johns made a noose out of bread dough to mock the lynching of Black Americans. "

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 06, 2020 08:00PM

Now xxxMoO will be complaining that he was winning the argument but his brilliance was deleted because it was politically incorrect.

What he will not note is that he was violating all sorts of rules and expressing opinions that are anathema to civil society. The flood gates opened in late 2016, when thugs and racists started saying "my views are legitimate too!" without regard to the fact that objectively evil is always evil.

Do not expect the rest of us to sit back and let you spew unchallenged your bile on our board. My preference would be to leave your impoverished ramblings up since they reveal the bankruptcy of your minds, but if the admins think the needs of the site militate in favor of expungement, so be it.

The majority of Americans are far healthier than you lot, and soon they will send you back to your subterranean bunkers to think and express your subterranean thoughts among beings who have achieved comparable levels evolutionary sophistication.

We have lived through an aberrational period. America will soon be great again.

Posted by: xxMoO ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 09:43AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
--------------------------------------------------
> Do not expect the rest of us to sit back and let
> you spew unchallenged your bile on our board.

I'm still wondering why "Dave the Atheist" continues to post stories having absolutely nothing to do with Mormonism or ex-Mormonism or Recovery from Mormonism. And then complain about the replies.

Date: July 07, 2020 07:15PM

xxMoO Wrote:
> I'm still wondering why "Dave the Atheist"
> continues to post stories having absolutely
> nothing to do with Mormonism or ex-Mormonism or
> Recovery from Mormonism.

Two words.

See Zee.

Or as we say in Canada: See Zed.

IOW: CZ, Big Admin, sez OK to OT posts. End of.

Besides, amazing but true, topics such as racism, justice, morals, values can all be related to Mormonism and our examination of its teachings and our own experiences with it.

I don't understand why that is difficult to comprehend or why topic police get so bent out of shape about the variety of subject matter here. How many times do we want to read about Moroni's trumpet or the dratted First Vision of Joseph the Smith? As many times as a new poster may want to show up and mention them, to be fair, but at some point as posters age out past their baby-step exmo days they don't mind seeing a wider variety of new yet interconnected subject matter.

Parallels, man. Parallels.

Information is Power. Especially if you've been in a cult. You think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 07:22PM by Nightingale.

Date: July 06, 2020 08:41PM

"civil society"

lol, good one there

Date: July 07, 2020 07:36PM

There are dictionaries for people who don't quite grasp the concept.

Suffice it to say, however, that you won't like it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 02:44AM

I'm not a Kaepernick fan because I don't feel that political protest and commentary belong in the workplace or at a sporting event. As a high-profile NFL quarterback, he has had a lot of venues in which he could express himself off of the football field, i.e. social media, calling a press conference, working with cooperating sponsors, taking out an ad, writing an op/ed, etc. If you open the door to one type of protest/commentary at a sporting event, then IMO you are opening the door to other types of protest and commentary as well. There is a reason that the Olympic Games (for instance) has traditionally not allowed or tolerated this type of expression/commentary.

So to me, Kaepernick comes off as an arrogant and spoiled jerk, and I still wouldn't want him as my team's quarterback. It has nothing to do with his message, just his inappropriateness in insisting on a venue in which to deliver it. JMO.

Date: July 07, 2020 10:42AM

" I don't feel that political protest and commentary belong in the workplace or at a sporting event" ... but you are OK with sporting events that are politicized by playing national anthems that glorify slavery ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 10:58AM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: July 07, 2020 01:30PM

I'm okay with sporting events not playing the national anthem. Since they must, I'm okay with athletes staying behind in the locker room. I felt that was a reasonable compromise.

Date: July 07, 2020 02:59PM

What about NFL forbidding team members from being in locker room ? Do you approve ?

Date: July 07, 2020 03:08PM

That's the issue. If I remember correctly, in basketball and football not coming out with the team was considered punishable conduct. The only reason people accept it now is because they dislike kneeling even more.

The option of staying in the locker room would not exist if it were not for what Kaepernick did on the field.

Date: July 07, 2020 10:58AM

I have heard that often.

Our society tends to make no venue the right venue leaving some to do it themselves or in the position of waiting for someone else to fix things. When you do that, you must be very patient because people who have things just the way they like way aren't in a rush to fix things for you.

Isn't a society that doesn't want change the ones who decide on an appropriate venue?

Our joke of a government, a congress? Yeah. Let's count on them.

Rosa Parks broke a law so that wasn't the right venue. Drag queens and trans threw bricks at police. People just got shoved around and tear gassed at the National Mall wasn't it. Should have been the right venue. Even Jane Fonda is still getting hand cuffed and dragged off because she isn't at the right venue.

Some of us just got sick of the "Mother May I" game.

Date: July 07, 2020 01:32PM

My point was that Kaepernick had plenty of other ways to make his case. He could have done an ad campaign/PSA with Nike, for instance. He has a lot more venues for expression than your average person.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 04:55PM

Maybe it was just an issue of the most bang for the buck?

If he felt the message was important, why not seek out the best way to get that message to the most people?

It's obvious that most people with a message don't mind ruffling feathers.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 08, 2020 02:59PM

Hardly as effective as national TV before an audience of millions which was the whole point. In some ways Kaepernick is a modern Mohammed Ali and just as it did for Ali who was criticized widely in his day the tide is turning in his favor.

Date: July 08, 2020 03:15PM

Exactly right.

Date: July 07, 2020 02:07PM

I couldn't agree more, D&D. The point of protest is to make people uncomfortable: that's why the constitution permits it in the workplace.

Date: July 07, 2020 02:16PM

My point is, if you allow one form of protest at a sporting event, that opens the door to allowing other forms of protest.

Date: July 07, 2020 02:20PM

Yes, that is what the constitution does.

Date: July 07, 2020 02:26PM

Would a sports stadium be considered private property? I think a business definitely would be.

https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/protesters-rights/

"Your rights are strongest in what are known as 'traditional public forums,' such as streets, sidewalks, and parks. You also likely have the right to speak out on other public property, like plazas in front of government buildings, as long as you are not blocking access to the government building or interfering with other purposes the property was designed for.

Private property owners can set rules for speech on their property. The government may not restrict your speech if it is taking place on your own property or with the consent of the property owner."

Date: July 07, 2020 02:44PM

Yes, the NFL had the right to sanction him. He knew that, bore the risk, and accepted the consequences.

By doing so, he put the issue squarely in the public's view. What he did was courageous and a lot more effective than if he had held up a sign in front of the San Francisco city hall.

You'll notice there was no governmental sanction: that is what the constitution dictates.

Date: July 07, 2020 02:36PM

Not really. With Tommy Smith and John Carlos they were asked to not participate any more in the Olympics. They knew this would happen. The Olympics justifiably had a policy not to allow politics or protests. Those Olympians knew the price they would pay. But they also knew the statement they could make in front of millions which is a lot better than going to open-mic night at City Hall and pleading to be treated better in front of a twon council.

They said on the field they were treated well, but as soon as they were in the locker room they were just the "dirty------s". I have read the whole story and there is so much more to it. I would imagine it would have eaten at them the rest of their lives if they had passed up that opportunity to "throw their televisions out the window."

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 08, 2020 03:05PM

D&D you bring up something that I thought way back in 196O watching in my living room in England as great black American athletes like Wilma Rudolph won gold at the Rome Olympics and then as I watched hoses and clubs being used against civil rights marchers at home in America.

Date: July 07, 2020 03:42PM

No venue the right one for protest in the eyes of some, in many places at all times. Great encapsulation of that off-kilter approach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 03:44PM by Nightingale.

Date: July 07, 2020 11:16AM

Headline : "Conservatives Mad About NFL Playing Black National Anthem"

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 07:24AM

If the guy could actually play at a high level he would be on a team - no matter what he does or believes.

NFL owners would sign Adolf Hitler if they thought he could win games for them.

Adrian Peterson beat a 5 year old child to bleeding - even convicted and a minimal sentence - and he is still playing.

It is not called the National FELON'S league for nothing.

Date: July 07, 2020 12:51PM

I differ from your reading...

Yes, felons make big bucks in sports, but The Kap's behavior allowed him to be branded as <gasp!> not loving America!!

So red-blooded true Americans turned against him as proof of their patriotism...

Date: July 07, 2020 02:10PM

Fascinating.

Many NFL players have stated that Kaepernick is better than a lot of starting quarterbacks, and at least one NFL executive has stated that owners boycotted him after his protests. You are better qualified to evaluate a football player than they?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/opinions/now-is-the-moment-to-sign-colin-kaepernick-lockhart/index.html

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 09:59AM

Bob Chapek bought himself some “Woke” cred. Hope Colin made them pay through the nose for it.

Date: July 07, 2020 10:02AM

xxMoO, Here’s how Dave the Atheist’s COVID posts relate to Mormonism: It seems Dave is trying to warn us and look out for us. When did Mormonism and its prophet ever do that ?

It’s the contrast between someone who has something to say and someone who has nothing to say.

Date: July 07, 2020 10:05AM

Dead on. Dave's posts have content and substance whereas some other posts are only snide and remind one of a grade school playground.

Date: July 07, 2020 10:18AM

Done & Done Wrote:
> Dead on. Dave's posts have content and substance
> whereas some other posts are only snide and remind
> one of a grade school playground.

And yet he seems unable to grasp the fact that this is a Recovery from Mormonism board. I mean, it's right there in the name of the forum.

Perhaps he could start a blog, or post on r/politics, or even create his own subreddit and discuss whatever tickles his fancy at the moment.

Date: July 07, 2020 10:27AM

"Off topic" posts are allowed here. Interestingly, many so-called off topic topics do relate to Mormonism. Recognizing parallels between seemingly diverse situations can be helpful in re-evaluating and processing one's experiences and beliefs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 02:00PM by Nightingale.

Date: July 07, 2020 10:34AM

This is CZ's board. If you want to be a board Czar you could get your own. This is not rocket science.

I don't like meat, so, I don't eat it. Anybody else wants to, be my guest.

Date: July 07, 2020 02:11PM

Start your own board.

Date: July 07, 2020 06:22PM

I'm interested. Can you post the link to a single post of yours involved in your recovery from Mormonism. I might have missed it.

Date: July 07, 2020 06:23PM

No, no, no...

He's here to show us how Recovery from Mormonism is done correctly.

Date: July 08, 2020 11:17AM

You mean to never try?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 11:50AM

At the Quantico base exchange last summer, I bought a T-shirt which read, "Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything." It's emblazoned next to an image of the Iwo Jima Memorial.

Posted by: outta the cult ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 03:05PM

That sounds precisely like a mormon slogan. Except instead of Iwo, the shirt would feature a Salt Lake Temple image.

Date: July 07, 2020 03:56PM

outta the cult Wrote:
> That sounds precisely like a mormon slogan. Except
> instead of Iwo, the shirt would feature a Salt
> Lake Temple image.

Mormon slogan: “The thinking has been done, and it’s gonna cost you ten percent.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 04:16PM by kathleen.

Date: July 07, 2020 05:28PM

He probably wanted to go with "stand for something," but that was already taken.

Date: July 07, 2020 05:34PM

Well, thank goodness. His unemployment was probably about to run out. :o)

Date: July 07, 2020 06:09PM

He alleged that the NFL blackballed him after the 2016 season and launched a suit on that basis. The NFL paid him around 10 million dollars to dismiss the suit.

How long could you make that kind of money last?

Date: July 07, 2020 06:21PM

Date: July 07, 2020 06:25PM

Is it your view that his taking a knee those years ago was a career stunt?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 06:25PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: July 07, 2020 06:59PM

Date: July 07, 2020 07:34PM

That's a different question.

If you think he did it for professional reasons, you must believe that 10 million now is greater than the 14 million he forfeited when he left the NFL--or rather the 14 million plus what he would have earned in subsequent years.

So no, it does not look to me like a career move.

Date: July 07, 2020 06:23PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> How long could you make that kind of money last?

The rest of my life but I'm a man of simple needs. Wish I could stop working.

Posted by: Rico D ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 06:30PM

Kapernick is endorsed by Nike' for millions $$

Nike' is a marketing company, (they do not made shoes or apparel - that is ALL out-sourced) that exploits cheap labor and child labor, for huge profits and human cost.

If Kapernick is really sincere, he may want to consider the source of his riches. BTW, Kapernick did turn down a $16M offer from the 49ers, even though he absolutely sucked prior to being released.

While Kapernick has a valid message - but in my mind, he is willing to victimize other for his financial gain.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 08, 2020 11:52AM

Elevation?

I thought they already had an elevator.

Can't they draw with lead?

PR move. Like much else in American social, pop, religion, fashion, and 'culture'.

Mickey making it on the mouse. He's just a new mouse for Disney. They've got a cat too.

Advertising...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.