Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 01:20PM

"New [peer reviewed] research provides some initial evidence that certain antagonistic personality traits are associated with ignoring preventative measures meant to halt the spread of the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2."

Study author Pavel S. Blagov states, "I knew that traits from the so-called Dark Triad (narcissism, Machiavellianism, and psychopathy) as well as the traits subsumed within psychopathy are linked to health risk behavior and health problems, and I expected them to be implicated in health behaviors during the pandemic. There is also prior research suggesting that people high on the Dark Triad traits may knowingly and even deliberately put other people’s health at risk."

https://www.psypost.org/2020/06/psychopathic-traits-linked-to-non-compliance-with-social-distancing-guidelines-amid-the-coronavirus-pandemic-56980?fbclid=IwAR33h9fJfMyS-K6wFOYUelh0dcaF9DJv06eSFbgf797VxIx9SaoLBGsbzzw

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 01:38PM

Use The Force of social distancing to combat the Dark Triad.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: July 07, 2020 01:53PM

Wow. I personally wear a mask, keep hand sanitizer in my car, wash my hands, maintain social distancing, and am mindful of touching my face, etc. I personally believe in the science behind these precautionary measures.

However, my elderly 90-year old TBM mother, of all people, refuses to wear a mask despite my pleadings. She says, "It's like keeping misquotos out with a chain linked fence." I respond, "no no mom, science backs this up." I never thought that she may have a dark triad personality, but she's def stubborn.

Posted by: run0emma0run ( )
Date: July 10, 2020 08:00PM

One of the reasons many people on the right refuse to wear masks is because they actually believe THEY are following Science. You see, a physician posted an article saying wearing a cloth mask (anything other than an N-95 or more restrictive) is like "using a chain-link fence to keep out a mosquito."

Due to that being a physician who posted that article, many on the right take it as "gospel" and believe masks are useless against the SARS-CoV2 virus because it is so tiny - much smaller than the pores in the masks. However, the physician who posted that claim, although correct in saying the virus is many times smaller than the pore size in the mask, was unaware of the virology and engineering physics associated with viruses. That physician was not a virologist. Neither was that physician knowledgeable in the physics of how a virus moves.

Here's a quote from an article in USA Today:
The N95 filter indeed is physically around the 0.3 micron size. But that doesn’t mean it can only stop particles larger than that. The masks are actually best for particles either larger or smaller than that 0.3 micron threshold.

“N95 have the worst filtration efficiency for particles around 0.3,” Marr said. “If you’re smaller than that those are actually collected even better. It’s counterintuitive because masks do not work like sieving out larger particles. It’s not like pasta in a colander, and small ones don’t get through.”

N95 masks actually have that name because they are 95% efficient at stopping particles in their least efficient particle size range — in this case those around 0.3 microns.

Why do they work better for smaller ones? There are a number of factors at play, but here are two main ones noted by experts:
The first is something called “Brownian motion,” the name given to a physical phenomenon in which particles smaller than 0.3 microns move in an erratic, zig-zagging kind of motion. This motion greatly increases the chance they will be snared by the mask fibers.

Secondly, the N95 mask itself uses electrostatic absorption, meaning particles are drawn to the fiber and trapped, instead of just passing through.

“Although these particles are smaller than the pores, they can be pulled over by the charged fibers and get stuck,” said Professor Jiaxing Huang, a materials scientist at Northwestern University working to develop a new type of medical face mask. “When the charges are dissipated during usage or storage, the capability of stopping virus-sized particles diminishes. This is the main reason of not recommending the reuse of N95 masks.”

Also,
The COVID-19 particle is indeed around 0.1 microns in size, but it is always bonded to something larger.

“There is never a naked virus floating in the air or released by people,” said Linsey Marr, a professor of civil and environmental engineering at Virginia Tech who specializes in airborne transmission of viruses.
The virus attaches to water droplets or aerosols (i.e. really small droplets) that are generated by breathing, talking, coughing, etc. These consist of water, mucus protein and other biological material and are all larger than 1 micron.

Here's a link to the full article:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/06/11/fact-check-n-95-filters-not-too-large-stop-covid-19-particles/5343537002/

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 11:59AM

This is a fantastic scientific clarification...thank you. Excellent points. I think old folks tend to believe "doctors", whether the old folks are right or left of the political spectrum. My parents are staunch democrats, both fans of Ezra T. Benson and JFK, whom they admired greatly. I am a centrist (or moderate), but I strongly believe in science, which is why I am also atheist post Mormonism.

Date: July 11, 2020 12:13PM

Here's a great video from PBS that uses Schlieren imaging experiements to show why masks are effective at slowing the spread of the virus. You can clearly see what happens when people exhale with and without various masks:

https://www.pbs.org/video/how-well-do-masks-work-ke2qje/

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 04:05AM

I thought they weren't having a new star wars film until next year.

I washed my hands, used hand sanitizer after shaking people's hands even before all this stuff started happening.

I can't decide if I am part of the empire or the rebellion. Lord knows I don't want to be an ewok after I saw how George Lucas could write them out of the story in a hearbeat if he wanted to.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 09:37AM

I had hands, but I tripped while running with my light saber.

Date: July 09, 2020 11:32AM

Ewok lives matter in Star Wars to me.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: July 09, 2020 03:38PM

lol

Date: July 09, 2020 12:58PM

It would make a seriously great title for a Star Wars movie -- "Star Wars: The Dark Triad".

Date: July 09, 2020 01:24PM

Indeed. We need some darker Star Wars. Disney doesn't do dark though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.