Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: July 10, 2020 06:31PM

It makes me wonder if old Joe could survive in the corporate world today?

The training mentioned two types of harrassment:

1. Quid Pro Quo (or something for something). You and your family will go to the highest level of heaven, but you need to marry me. Or, if you don't marry me, an angel with a flaming sword will kill me. Either way, he promised something in exchange for what amounted to sexual favors.

2. Hostile work environment (or I am uncomfortable working here because of the constant inappropriate sexual advances or inappropriate actions or lewd language.) Do you think anyone left the church because they felt uncomfortable around creepy Joe? Read the stories of William Law.

When I completed the training I thought, "I am embarrassed that I was ever a mormon." True, I did not have all the facts when I joined. Also, I was hip deep into it when I started to worry. Too late for me now.

I guess what I have left is a hope that modern society will reject Joseph Smith for what he was.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: July 10, 2020 06:46PM

So, did you learn how to harass correctly?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 10, 2020 06:49PM

Exactly what I was going to say!

Date: July 10, 2020 06:58PM

Yeah, I used to make jokes about this, too. I'm not trying to be judgmental, but is is difficult for me to joke about something this serious. There are actually a lot of people who have been hurt.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: July 10, 2020 07:06PM

That's true. Sorry, just trying to lighten things up.

Date: July 10, 2020 07:07PM

Again, me too. I assure you, Lowpriest, I take this very seriously and apologize for any inadvertent offense.

Date: July 10, 2020 07:11PM

LW,

If you ever want to offend me, please let me know by saying, "I want to offend you." Otherwise, I might not get it, because (1) I trust you and (2) I'm not that smart...

:-D

Date: July 10, 2020 07:14PM

Hah!

Date: July 10, 2020 07:07PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 10, 2020 06:54PM

Are you now a journeyman sexual harasser ?

Date: July 10, 2020 07:12PM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 10, 2020 08:32PM

And what about "master?" Can't use that anymore, as in "master bedroom." You know, the one with the chains hanging from the ceiling and the whip (w)racks?

Date: July 10, 2020 08:35PM

I used to be more sensitive about sensitivity. I am not sure what the solution to the problem of racism, sexual harassment and other oppression is, but I am willing to give up using words with historical baggage if it mends broken hearts.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 10, 2020 06:55PM

The sad fact is that all those rules only apply to the workers, not the bosses.

Date: July 10, 2020 07:04PM

Especially with respect to a hostile work environment, your peers can be held accountable.

I am sure that other posters will have examples where this was not the case.

In my own experience, a boss used to make openly sexual insults to the only female member of our team. I said something to him about it. I was in the permanent dog house and was eventually transferred to another team.

My point is this -

Mormon history is full of stories that get spun to increase faith. In reality, mormon history is full of behavior that would not be accepted today.

Furthermore, the jerks at the top of the mormon empire still deny this unapologetically.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 10, 2020 07:44PM

Lowpriest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess what I have left is a hope that modern
> society will reject Joseph Smith for what he was.

I have no faith in this. That Smith and L. Ron Hubbard and a host of characters from Ellen G. White to Claude Vorilhon are going to be remembered and still followed in our modern society is a given. We as a species has a way of doing this and I can't figure out why. From Televangelists to the latest trend in gossip. We love drama, lies, stories, and promises that can never be realized.

Date: July 10, 2020 08:26PM

EB said, "We love drama, lies, stories, and promises that can never be realized."

And a lot of us were suckers....

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 02:09PM

And a lot of leaders are more truthful than others but those aren't as useful to the corporation.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 07:46PM

+Elder Berry:
You are directly responsible for the future.
If you want a better future, than you have to work on it.
You have to talk to mormons, muslims, christians, jews, and whatever other abrahamic branch I have not heard of. I guess Heaven’s gate also is on that list.
Talk to them about the immorality you find in those religions.
I think that a healthy dose of science does help as well.

The internet is a great platform to talk to such people.
And if you do talk to them, none of them will agree with you but hopefully, you planted a seed of doubt.

Of course, you’ll never reach 100% conversion. There will always be mormons, muslims, christians, jews. To me, it looks like mormonism is crashing pretty fast.

~~~~iceman9090

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.