Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 07:39PM

"SAN ANTONIO, Texas (WOAI/KABB) – A patient in their 30s died from the coronavirus after attending what's being called a "COVID party," according to a San Antonio health official.

Chief Medical Officer of Methodist Healthcare Dr. Jane Appleby said the idea of these parties is to see if the virus is real.

"This is a party held by somebody diagnosed by the COVID virus and the thought is to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected," Dr. Appleby said.

According to Appleby, the patient became critically ill and had a heartbreaking statement moments before death.

"Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said 'I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it's not,'" Appleby said.

Appleby made this case public as the spike in cases for Bexar County continues. She wants everyone, especially those in the younger demographic, to realize they are not invincible."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 07:52PM

"To see if the virus is real"?

Well, that's an experiment that didn't go well.

Date: July 11, 2020 07:55PM

It's the "doctors don't know anything" argument.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 07:58PM

There's an estimated 4,106,727 thirty year-olds in the USA right now so this casualty represents only 0.00002435 percent of the population.

So, this isn't exactly "total devastation" is it

(Being, of course, sarcastically facetious)

Date: July 11, 2020 08:07PM

AND covid death only happens to old decrepit people who are a sucking drag on the economy and fixin' to die anyway

https://www.insider.com/ohio-man-veteran-died-coronavirus-mask-facebook-posts-2020-7?amp

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 09:59PM

Dr. No Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> AND covid death only happens to old decrepit
> people who are a sucking drag on the economy and
> fixin' to die anyway
>
> https://www.insider.com/ohio-man-veteran-died-coro
> navirus-mask-facebook-posts-2020-7?amp

Well, it doesn't "only" happen to the very old, but it does target them disproportionately due to their already existing natural weaknesses and ailments of age.

And the people who collect the data are not being straightforward or transparent at all in separating those who died exclusively from Covid versus those for whom it may only have been a "contributing factor."

A lot of people of various ages are a drag on the economy, to be honest, but that's neither here nor there. Though normal triage considerations should be in effect. Even European, socialized medicine nations have figured this out in limiting certain procedures to those above a certain age or legalizing euthanasia in certain strictly defined situations.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 08:00PM

Jesus needed him on the other side. He’ll be baptized in a year.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 08:57PM

Someone I know from a small town said that when she was a child in the 1950s, that the parents in her community would arrange mumps and measles parties for their children. She attended such a party herself, as arranged by her parents. The adults all had immunity already because they attended similar parties when they were children. The children would all gather at the home of the infected child and played and interacted, for the purpose of exposing all of the children to the mumps or measles (can't remember if it was one or the other or both). It was a fun and practical thing with no associated taboo. They all got the illness and then got over it relatively quickly because children aren't at the same risk of serious complications as an adult would be when catching it the first time. From that point forward in their lives, they were all immune. No one got seriously ill. No one died. As adults they were immune to a disease that could be potentially much worse if not for their built-in immunity. Of course, this would be a bad idea for Covid 19.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2020 09:01PM by azsteve.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 09:08PM

Attended a couple of those myself and successfully gave the entire neighborhood chicken pox.

However, the effects of this are far more than itching for a couple weeks.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 02:35PM

That's also assuming that all the attendees are of European stock, and therefore have a centuries-long exposure to measles and chicken pox. If someone from another area were present, like a child of a Native American, a Polynesian, or some other far away indigenous person, the effects could be devastating.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 02:40PM

Of course chicken pox is the virus that later in life causes shingles, so those pox parties have left us all with a higher probability of succumbing to "serious complications as an adult."

Sometimes the old "home remedies" prove less enlightened than originally thought.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 09:24PM

Darwin Award contestant

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 09:29PM

This year the committee has SO much to work with

Date: July 11, 2020 09:30PM

Entire nations. . .

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 10:09PM

Yep. Next week, some moron will die jumping off a 6 story building because he heard that gravity is a hoax. Dumbass.

Date: July 11, 2020 10:00PM

wondering Wrote:
> Darwin Award contestant

Yes, and the people who survived and may have built up antibodies are the winners of this particular Darwinian micro-contest.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 10:24PM

Except that many are not. This particular virus doesn't seem to make antibodies that last. So there may not be a vaccine and there may not be herd immunity.

Date: July 11, 2020 10:25PM

So will the antibodies prevent you from getting it again ?
Enquiring minds like mine want to know.

Date: July 13, 2020 01:05PM

Headline : "COVID-19 Antibody Response Drops in 3 Months According to Kings College London Report in Review"

Date: July 11, 2020 09:54PM

I don't hear a lot of reasonable people suggesting it's a "hoax" at all or that it's not real.

But it's a completely ignorant and unscientific statement from this chief medical officer to say that the virus "doesn't discriminate" (a quote included on the dallasnews.com site.)

It certainly does discriminate, as most viruses do, in this case primarily against old people and people with preexisting conditions. To suggest that it "doesn't discriminate" is to create the misleading impression that everyone is *equally* susceptible, which is absolutely not the case, scientifically proven.

That doesn't mean you should go out and court disaster or engage in overly risky behaviors. Take normal precautions but don't go nuts.

Date: July 11, 2020 10:01PM

The point is that the disease does not appear to discriminate in whom it infects. That is different than saying the effects are uniform.

Date: July 12, 2020 10:24AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> The point is that the disease does not appear to
> discriminate in whom it infects. That is
> different than saying the effects are uniform.
===============================

Exactly.

Moving branches aren't causing the wind.

Dump a bunch of people in a pool and they all get wet, but swimmers survive.

Not rocket science. Really.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 07:21PM

"Dump a bunch of people in a pool and they all get wet, but swimmers survive."

I'm stealing this.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 11, 2020 10:16PM

Yeah. It's great to get it while you are young. That gives you another 40-50 years to live with brain damage, liver failure, heart damage and dialysis is no big deal. Hell, you can even do it at home now :)! The only bummer is if these things are looked at as pre-existing conditions and you have to pay out of pocket.

Date: July 12, 2020 01:57AM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 09:15AM

From what I can see, the only way to kill this thing is to starve it. Don't give it anyone new to jump onto by social distancing. The parts of the world where it has mostly died off are places where they did that just long enough to accomplish this.

Date: July 12, 2020 10:32AM

Greyfort Wrote:
> From what I can see, the only way to kill this
> thing is to starve it.
===============================

Exactly.

Get the Ro less than 1 in a population and the thing becomes extinct.

And one doesn't even have to understand virus kinetics or pathophysiology.
This method was known and practiced in medieval times.

Date: July 12, 2020 07:31PM

Yeah - I was thinking that no matter what they thought caused pandemics, they had the good sense to realize that you catch it from people. Someone has the sweat? Stay away from that person their family and their friends. Someone has the pox? Stay away from that person and even that part of town if you're able.

The people who lived later, thanks to their forebear's good sense, realized that refuse should not be dumped in rivers. Life expectancy made a huge leap once people stopped shitting where they ate.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2020 07:33PM by Beth.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 01:06PM

HIPAA laws prevent revealing the identity of the patient?
Is this true? Under what medical circumstance does HIPAA regulations mandate this?
If I die from pneumonia, Ebola, AIDS, etc., my name cannot be released to the public?

ETA: The news article fails to state a timeline that identifies the date of the party and how much time passed before the patient became ill, how long he was lll until seeking medical help, how long he was hospitalized and for how long he had a ventilator (if one was used), and how long it was until his demise. Were any other party attendees stricken? How many people were at the party? I would be interested in learning more details...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2020 01:16PM by csuprovograd.

Date: July 12, 2020 01:44PM

The part of the story that I don't get, is how the patient managed to speak to his nurse. If you are on a ventilator, you can't talk, and are probably too weak to have the desire to communicate. But maybe there's something I'm not getting here.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 07:19PM

Maybe he said it before being put on a ventilator and then wasn't able to say anything else after that. Or maybe he was never put on a ventilator but died of a stroke or some other complication.

Date: July 13, 2020 11:20AM

Maybe the story is untrue.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 01:31PM

It’s faith promoting.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 11:33AM

Dr. Appleby heard this from a nurse who purportedly heard it as the patient's last words. When and where was this virus party. how many attended? Did this patient have other comorbidity issues?

It strikes me as something akin to an LDS faith-affirming anecdote. "My apostate neighbor started drinking coffee, and got cancer!" It fits in nicely with a fact pattern we agree with, and validates our unifying thesis.

If this alleged Millennial's family, and the nurse, want to come forward and clear the air, then it's quite another matter. At this point, I don't buy it.

"Hoax," indeed.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 12:20PM

It could be a story to scare people into not going into crowds.
But they also may not have reported the timeline correctly. The person might have said that before they got to the point of needing a respirator, rather than just before they died.

Date: July 13, 2020 12:27PM

Yes, that's what I'm thinking.

Date: July 13, 2020 12:56PM

...than what's reported. Anything's possible. Unless family and the nurse come forward with some details that can be verified (such as date and/or location of the alleged party), I consider this an urban legend.

Date: July 13, 2020 01:07PM

Maybe you are real, maybe you aren't. People are saying you are a russian bot.
It's just what I heard.

Date: July 13, 2020 01:22PM

Damn red pills!

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 01:43PM

Well, Jane Appleby really *is* CMO of Methodist Hospital in San Antonio.

https://sahealth.com/healthcare-professionals/for-doctors/

And the same person pictured posted a video of this story. She said it happened in her hospital. So if this is an urban legend, then the attending nurse is the root cause of it.

https://www.fox23.com/news/trending/doctor-says-30-year-old-texas-man-died-after-attending-covid-party/MEPGLM5JUZDW7MY4PW6E5V7QIU/

The patient cannot be legally identified because of HIPAA laws.

(from ABC story linked in OP)

Date: July 13, 2020 01:47PM

I believe the major points of the story. I think the part about what the man told the nurse about making a mistake was missing some details.

Date: July 13, 2020 02:29PM

Sometimes, family members who suffered a loss divulge the mistake(s) made by a deceased loved one. ("My mother really trusted her "InEssential Oils" would cure her terminal acne...") That would provide real credibility.

Sure, Dr. Apleby is a real person, but I remain skeptical. How many people did the story pass through before it got to her?

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 03:36PM

It's very possible that no family was present at the time of death. That happens a lot with covid. In that case, they couldn't confirm the conversation.

To your other point, what does the nurse gain by coming forward? The patient can't be ID'ed because of HIPAA. Even if the nurse were to go public, you and others of like mind could still dismiss the story as not credible due to "insufficient" evidence. Worse, right-wing internet trolls could conceivably make the nurse's life a living hell, like they did to the parents in the Sandy Hook child massacre.

Little to gain, a ton to lose.

Date: July 13, 2020 02:34PM

Somebody may have died.
Somebody may have decided to use that death as the basis for a cautionary tale, but for it to have enough tragedy to scare people into compliance, it may have been ‘punched up’ by copy writers who are desperate to attract ‘clicks’...

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 02:36PM

So are people who subscribe to fake news are people with fake views to easily dismiss?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2020 03:00PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 04:05PM

You may want to look into HIPAA, and FERPA while you are at it. Both laws have serious teeth and are designed to protect patient/student rights, access to their own records, and privacy. That is the reason when covid deaths are announced, only rather wide age ranges and vague location information (at home, in hospital, in senior care facility) are given.

HIPAA violations are very serious matters and hospitals will stand on their heads and spit nickels to avoid them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.