Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 06:07PM

Like the Amish in the US, the Mennonite Christian community shuns the modern world. Most Mennonites live in secluded, self-sufficient colonies. We get a rare glimpse into the life of a devout and isolated community.

The Mennonites embrace isolation, which in their eyes helps protect them from the temptations of the modern world. At first glance, time seems to have stood still in the Mennonite colony in Belize, where people still travel by horse-drawn carriage and do without conveniences such as televisions and electricity. They still speak an old form of the German dialect Plattdeutsch. But modern life is slowly making inroads in Little Belize. Wilhelm, the community’s former doctor, was expelled for owning a mobile phone. Fearing that their community was being tainted, some more traditional members decided to found a new colony in a remote jungle in Peru, where they hope to live according to old customs and religious beliefs. For the first time ever, a camera team was granted access to one of Central and South America’s traditional Mennonite colonies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt_XU4W4DBA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 07:05PM

I've attended Seattle Mennonites as well as Toledo

I've met Mennos from other parts of Washington state & some who've come to seattle to volunteer with non-profits, none as U describe...

I live a ways from Seattle now, so I don't attend regularly.

you're referring to a stereo-type that only fits some of the Mennos, none of which I've met for about 20 yrs...

The Mennonites I've been associated with (I haven't joined) are the most Christ-Like ppl I've ever been associated with IRL, they make Mormons appear as pharisees which others have opined here also...

What exactly is your point?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2020 07:08PM by GNPE.

Date: July 12, 2020 07:51PM

It's just an interesting documentary about a group of Mennonites in Belize who have internal tensions about modernisation and some decide to leave and start a new colony in Peru in the remote Amazon.

The Mennonites in the documentary agreed to be filmed and it's just a look at how they live their lives.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 07:57PM

Utah was already taken, so there was no alternative left but Peru.

Date: July 13, 2020 09:20AM

Posted by: Lulu not logged in ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 09:08PM

Not all Mennonites are the same.

You can find them in the NYC subway singing and selling their CDs.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 12, 2020 09:21PM

Lulu not logged in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not all Mennonites are the same.

IMHO, this is a great attractive aspect - feature.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 12:35AM

One of my best friends comes from an old order Mennonite family. He lives in the modern world and married out of their cult...and his family shuns him for the most part...unless they want something. Sound familiar?

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 02:40AM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
> his family shuns
> him for the most part...unless they want
> something. Sound familiar?

YEAH!

Date: July 13, 2020 02:43AM

There’s a Mennonite church not far from me. Has electric lights, and a nicely paved parking lot that’s full of cars and trucks on Sundays. I don’t know much about them, but never seen a horse and buggy there.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 02:55AM

Yah. I'm from Philly, and we have a lot of Pennsylvania Dutch that come to the city to sell AWESOME food at The Reading Terminal Market. Those folks are Mennonites. They come in vehicles, they use electric scales, cash registers.

The Amish don't go to the reading terminal market. Unless you're Kelly McGinnis running away with Harrison Ford (The Witness - not a bad movie. Oh, and Luca Haas. Adorable.), well then you might have Amish using things Amish don't tend to use. The electricity, photos, telephone thing has to do with modesty and group cohesion. God forbid you get a phone and then everyone gets a phone then people GOSSIP on the phone and blah. But if a person offers someone a ride in a car - it's cool to jump in.

Women wear starched bonnets, and the shape and detail of the bonnet indicate what sub-sect they belong to.

Here's where I give them mad props: They are allowing people to study them because they have Founders' Syndrome. Because of the small DNA pool, there is a prevalence of rare, regressive genetic diseases.

Otherwise, yeah. The difference between a religion and a cult is how much political power it has.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2020 06:31PM by Beth.

Date: July 14, 2020 09:46PM

Beth Wrote:
> then you might
> have Amish using things Amish don't tend to use.

There's a place near me that has a sign up advertising "custom Amish" furniture.
It always strikes me as a little oxymoronic! ;)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 05:20AM

Manitoba is thick with Mennonites. They all use cars, phones, etc. I suppose there may be some Old Order around, but I never saw any. They actually have a satirical web site like The Onion but for Mennonites. A recent posting was about how dancing is now approved, since it is required to stay two meters apart.

There is a Mennonite College in Winnipeg. There was a Chinese Mennonite Church that I used to pass regularly when I lived there. How's that for a niche congregation!

I think whenever the province had to deal with sending aid to a disaster, they directly coordinated it with the Mennonite Central Committee in the province. Actually, there were a number of ways that religious organizations and the provincial government cooperated that you would never see in the US, since they don't have a formal First Amendment restriction. Makes me wonder how it was we got stuck with most of the Bible-thumpers, and not Canada. Most of the religious types in Canada, or at least Manitoba, left you alone, and were exemplary citizens by and large.

https://dailybonnet.com/

I'd forgotten how funny this is. Check it out. The only thing Mormons have that even comes close to self-parody is Robert Kirby. Mormons are humor-impaired.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2020 07:33AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: July 13, 2020 09:25AM

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 02:32PM

who were early converts to COJCOLDS. They sold their property (extensive) in PA and went to Nauvoo. Later they bailed out BY financially. Neff's Canyon is named for the patriarch.

If-they'd-stayed=in-PA-I-might-be-rich-ly yrs,

S

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.