Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 03:58PM

Excerpted from CNN online article:

"Mormon church leaders are imploring followers to wear masks in public to defend against the coronavirus as temples reopen and church activities resume.

"The Utah Area Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which consists of local leaders who preside over the church's activities in the region, asked church members in an email to wear face coverings in public "for the blessing and benefit of all."

"The area's three leaders, citing a "growing chorus of medical authorities," recommended members of the church wear masks both indoors and outdoors to curb the spread of coronavirus. The Deseret News, which is owned by the Church, obtained the email.

"We are in the midst of a global pandemic unlike any the world has experienced in more than a century," the email reads.
"Latter-day Saints are not immune."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/13/us/mormon-church-wear-mask-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2020 04:02PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 13, 2020 04:33PM

I've never seen anywhere that CoJCoLDS promises physical safety by wearing the g's. Individual members may swear to it, although it's not part of the actual theology, is it?

An Atlantic article mentions a long-held "fascination" with Mormon underwear. Uhhhhhhhhh - really? Do nevermos even know about it? I'd never heard of it before I met a Mormon at work and thereby the mishies. Even then I never thought of it as "underwear". That term doesn't imbue it with sacred specialness, somehow.

Here's the article, giving mostly the church's take on it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/10/mormon-underwear-revealed/381792/

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 05:07PM

My guess is that most nevermos have no idea about the underwear. It might be different in the Moridor.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 02:19AM

“I've never seen anywhere that CoJCoLDS promises physical safety by wearing the g's.“

It’s a temple thing, which means it’s covered by Fight Club rules. They tell you at the washing and anointing that the garments are a protection from the adversary. There’s a lot of urban myth in Mormonism about instances of physical protection.

I read this as an admission that garments don’t protect you, which means they don’t believe their own religion. They know it’s a scam. Maybe that’s a good thing.

Posted by: logged off again ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 05:52PM

Sign on Nelson's desk:

"The buck stops with the Utah Area Presidency."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 13, 2020 06:07PM

"The buck stops with the bishops and stake presidents, who make all decisions on church punishments such as excommunication."

Date: July 13, 2020 07:01PM

Do you think most Mormons are generally obedient to leaders' instructions, suggestions, injunctions?

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 12:03PM

If the mormon leadership said to go to church without any protection whatsoever, she would be there.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 01:14AM

Mormons are not promised anything anywhere in writing including that their prophet is not a just a sustained as such figurehead.

This is the nature of a lie or mormonism. If they were specific, they could be held liable in a court of law. So they use folklore and allusions to teach people the magical thinking of garments.

This false protection probably originated from the erroneous idea that the reason why Joseph Smith was able to be killed was that he had removed his garments entirely while in the Carthage jail.
Thereafter, all members have been told to wear them 24/7 except for sex and putting on bullet proof vests (see apostles handbook of instructions).

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 01:57AM

"your chances of being killed by a cat are low but never zero"

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 02:14AM

Yes, but is the cat alive or dead?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 15, 2020 02:15PM

It is barely alive so zero percent chance it could kill you unless it has COVID.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 07:49AM

This advice would have been beneficial to the saints three or four months ago, but how could they have known then? They would have needed revelation from God.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 15, 2020 02:00PM

LDS 'leaders' are faceless, in private, and wear the wrong one in public.

They are doing what they are COMMANDED [by the (don't re)members].

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 16, 2020 11:36PM

ESPECIALLY in school: https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2020/07/15/packed-meeting-utah/

Room full of dummies.

Utah

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 17, 2020 12:19AM

“Have fun but wear protection” means something completely different to Mormons.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 18, 2020 07:50AM

The story of the Utah Valley school board meeting where hordes of goober Mormons were fighting the wearing of face masks made headline news across the country. I was surprised to see it here. I think it’s because the Evangelicals wanted to say “hey, we’re not the only ones.” I know many Utahns are still posting anti-facemask crap on FB.

However, I’ve been surprised at how little talk I’ve seen from the mormon side about it being the end of days. Because the mask being the mark of the beast has really spread in Southern Baptist and Pentacostal circles. Many are truly afraid of being found with the mark when the Lard’s booming voice says COME and raptures the believers (in Jesus, not science). I personally know people who are telling their kids that they will be “going home” any day. Unfortunately, it won’t be due to rapture, it will be due to them being a pandemic victim along with many who wore the mark. But many of the more intelligent or slightly progressive mormons seem to be ok with mask wearing.

Mormons, on the other hand, don’t believe in mask wearing for the simple fact that their supreme “stable genius” reinforces their white supremist views (in his quest to keep the support of Evangelicals) more than their so-called prophet does. So that’s where they put their trust. American religion is the biggest driver of the U.S. COVID problem.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2020 07:59AM by NormaRae.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.