Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 12:30AM

Check out the following KSL job posting for a locksmith. Snowflakes need not apply!

https://jobs.ksl.com/listing/887345

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 12:32AM

Asking people to know what would work best for their health without government or media intervention

No, no, no!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 12:50AM

Let's see:

Joe needs a job.

Brownies has a job to give.

Brownies realizes it has leverage and wants Joe to agree to surrender his constitutional and legal rights before receiving the offer.

Outcome: Joe applies for the job and, if he doesn't like it, takes that list of questions to an attorney because Brownies doesn't get to predicate a job on an applicant's surrender of his constitutional and legal rights.

Conclusion: Brownies are morons.

Sorry, MML.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 02:11AM

Is this even legal? It does appear to be a real company. I thought it MUST be a joke.

Date: July 14, 2020 02:12AM

It's not legal.

Date: July 14, 2020 03:03AM

Not even close to legal.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 11:33AM

I am not a lawyer, but I think most of the job posting is definitely legal, and it is all probably legal.

I am not saying it is moral, ethical, or good public policy.

It is the equivalent of throwing a tantrum. It is a publicity stunt. It is designed to attract customers, not employees.

I would like to discuss which specific elements in the posting are actually illegal. I think many people will be suprised and disgusted to see what employers can actually get away with saying, especially if this is a small company with fewer than 10-15 employees.

Thoughts?

Date: July 14, 2020 12:12PM

If it's under 15 employees, you are likely right about that. The one question they could potentially get him on is the one about faith (religious discrimination.)

Date: July 14, 2020 02:17PM

A few of the questions in that list were definitely illegal. Any applicant could do an interview, then emerge and claim that the company asked inappropriate things, and voila have a cause of action. The interviewer might honestly claim that she did not ask the apparently nefarious question but would have a hard time defending herself in light of the publication of that list.

That, presumably, is why the employer subsequently changed the advertisement. As of this morning the list is gone.

Date: July 14, 2020 05:44PM

Awesome.

Date: July 14, 2020 08:53PM

So anyone can sue anyone over anything.

Sorry to belabor the point, but I still think most of the questions would be more of a public relations problem than a legal problem.

Also, I think it is in poor taste and offensive. It is also foolish to invite litigation. If someone did file an EEOC complaint the employer would still be forced to respond, which could run up a few legal bills.

However, an employer can discriminate for any reason that is not legally prohibited. A company can even have an unpleasant work environment as long as you don't violate the law. People are free to be jerks for the most part.

Please see: https://www.eeoc.gov/discrimination-type

Except for the question about faith, I didn't see anything that fit one of the EEOC categories.

I could be mistaken, of course, but it is harder win one of these things than people think. A good friend had multiple complaints about his employer. He started with an on the job injury that morphed into a hostile work environment. He could not find a lawyer to take his case. I reached out to an attorney friend. He also said it was a waste of time.

Apparently the hostility was not related to a protected class.

I mentioned that this is America. Of course the advert ran in Draper, UT, so your results may vary.

This is why we need to have better protection in employment law (and housing law, too) with expanded protected classes.

Date: July 14, 2020 11:34PM

LP, there were several problems with that list. A lot of them were matters of nuance, but things like "no snowflakes" can easily be read as suggesting that racial/gender/homophobic/sexual jokes are part of the corporate culture. The key items could also be read as saying "we tolerate harassment and/or sexual harassment."

If someone were hired by such a company and experienced harassment or abuse, that list would definitely represent relevant evidence of intent and practice. Indeed, setting expectations that way could be harassment per se. So it was an big mistake to post that list. At best it creates liability, at worst it demonstrates culpability.

The EEOC laws are quite strict, and it's not a good idea to lead with the suggestion that "we routinely violate those laws and expect you to shut up about it."

Date: July 15, 2020 12:09PM

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: July 15, 2020 10:31AM

It's a real company. About a mile from my home. They also used to sharpen knives and chainsaw blades ((I had them do two chainsaw sharpenings-they did a good job) 2-3 employees including the owner. Older owner, probably has no understanding of the world outside of Utah.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 09:23AM

Sure, the questions are invasive, illegal, ridiculous, any many of them have nothing to do with the job, but look at the pay range. The low end is $10k/year. Do they expect someone to live on $833 a month?

Date: July 14, 2020 09:36AM

I get the feeling that is a pre-set range.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 11:20AM

It's an on-call part time job. In other words ... casual labor.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 11:45AM

Snowflake? I love the ironic projection of this ad.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 02:37PM

Hmmm, I wonder if the questions were deleted because of the company's lawyer's advice, or they got a call from the state labor department, or irate customers complained, or just general irate members of the public made nasty phone calls?

Posted by: Lulu not logged in ( )
Date: July 14, 2020 03:24PM

They definitely changed it denying us a bunch of yuks.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 15, 2020 12:48AM

Right?! Archive, People! Archive!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 15, 2020 02:48AM

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: July 17, 2020 10:36AM

(I also note that it's funny [odd], that "Dawn Armstrong" has the address of jared@....)

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:sfdfLPD43_YJ:https://jobs.ksl.com/listing/887345+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Locksmith Field Technician
Brownies Lock & Security
Draper, UT 84020 | Posted Jul 12, 2020
Job Description
*Locksmith with experience fixing, repairing and installing locks.
*Job is full time.
*Starting pay depends on experience.
*Based in Draper.
*Snowflakes need not apply.

Please take a minute to complete this quick questionnaire for us. And email it back.

1-Outside of standard benefits, what benefits should a company offer employees?
2- What should the national minimum wage be?
3- How many sick days should be given to employees?
4- How often should employees get raises?
5- How do you feel about guns?
6- What are your feelings about employees or clients carrying guns?
7- What is the thing that causes employees to stay with a company or leave?
8- In a busy environment like Brownies Lock & Security, what do you envision work attire looking like?
9- Should “trigger warnings” be issued before we release content for clients or the company that might be considered “controversial”?
10- How do you feel about police?
11- If you owned the company and were to find out that a client is operating unethically but was a high paying client…how would you handle it?
12- When was the last time you cried and why?
13- You arrive at an event for work and there’s a major celebrity you’ve always wanted to meet. What happens next?
14- What’s your favorite kind of adult beverage?
15- What’s the best way to communicate with clients?
16- What’s your favorite thing to do in your free time?
17- What are your thoughts on local rules about mask wearing?
18- What’s your typical breakfast?
19- How do you handle bullies?
20- How do you handle it when your ideas are shot down?
21- What do you do if a coworker comes to the table with an idea and it sucks?
22- What does the first amendment mean to you?
23- What does faith mean to you?
24- Who is your role model and why?
25- You see someone stepping on an American flag. What do you do?
26- What does “privilege” mean to you?
27- What’s more important? Book smarts or street smarts? Why?

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 17, 2020 10:06PM

Oh lol! Leave it to you to dig it up :)

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: July 17, 2020 02:38PM

OMG!!! You local folks need to do a lot of reviews with the cached URL in it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.