Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 02:05PM

In an online devotional, Dieter Uchtdorf counselled members to read about heroes from a wide variety of literary classic sources.

2,000 Stripling warriors?
no way - - - you've read that fantasy story tons of times
BOM? come on man . . . are you kidding?

Read all the Harry Potter series, and when you're done with that . . . there's an endless variety of inspirational materials out there . . .

Just a few of the heroes you will encounter:
Hermione Granger
Harry Potter
Obi Wan Kenobi
Luke Skywalker
Bilbo Baggins
Gandalf
Anne of Green Gables

Uchtdorf told students that due to the pandemic, we currently live in "interesting times." THAT'S IT?? WTH man! Uchtdorf is supposed to mingle with chosen men who receive revelations from God, and the only thing he can say about how to handle difficulties of the pandemic crisis is: "interesting times"

No wonder TCOJCOLDS is truly considered a laughing stock organization by other American churches and religions around the world.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 02:15PM

In the 60s and 70s the church actively encouraged members to "read from the best of books."

There was a five year study for the relief society in which they actually read many sources of poetry, literature and even studied art. The men had a similar though non official book that simply made references to suggested reading.

The children's friend was full of stories of patriotic heroes, children's versions of classic literature and secular songs.

Suggesting mormons can and should read non LDS literature and study non mormons is a huge leap in my opinion.

As far as masks. He was probably under a gag order.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 03:19PM

It’s nice to see the popularity of Joseph Campbell’s work. Dieter gets it. The church messed up by not putting him in the First Presidency. Of the leaders that understand LDS mythology, he seems to offer members the most workable approach to dealing with conflicts with the modern world.

The majority of people left in TSCC are of the “never get out of the boat” mentality. That’s a big crowd to lead. The foundation is rotting. Ignoring the rot doesn’t make it go away.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 06:23PM

I haven't looked at Uchtdorfs internet talk, but Bednard was on Youtube a week or so ago giving an address about how our religious liberties are so fragile and under attack, and that this is a time of introspection. He's really pissed that the government closed down the churches and did away with the 1st amendment.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 07:55PM

Uchtdorf has what I'll call Good Ideas, but he's plainly a Loose Cannon among the 15; I'm beginning to wonder why they haven't tossed him overboard.

Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 08:14PM

Uchtdorf actually seems like a really nice and sensible guy.

I'll bet many of the more hard-core types (most or all of the other 14?) have thoughts of muzzling Uchtdorf or tossing him overboard.

If they allowed it, Uchtdorf would almost certainly be OK with discussing the many stories of the Old Testament (Genesis and so on) and BOM (Jaredites submarine boats and so on) as merely ancient stories and fables, and not actual events.

I get the feeling that Uchtdorf was the driving force behind selling coke/pepsi/drpepper on BYU campus, and effectively declaring that you can drink all the caffeinated soft drinks you want, and still be in compliance with the WOW. It's better to just declare something sensible, instead of having a "gray area" of coke/mtn dew, that faithful LDS members waste countless hours debating.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 19, 2020 08:39PM

Monson was the force behind the change regarding caffeinated sodas due to his known addiction to Diet Pepper. Once the president of the church has announced that dark fizzy drinks are permissible, BYU cannot hold to a contradictory standard. That's the end of the story.

More generally, I agree that Uchdorf seems like a good man. But he has nevertheless devoted his adult life to a fraud that causes untold damage to innocent people. Whatever credibility, whatever humanity, he may possess enhances the church's power.

Playing that role is immoral. Like Pope Francis and the victims of molestation, Uchdorf is responsible for the evil perpetrated by the LDS church. To me that is the end of the story.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.