Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 03:51PM

Here in my southwest Washington town, we have a beautifully maintained lake with 3 1/2 mile path around it. I go out and walk it every day, rain or shine (more rain than shine, actually). Now there are two sets of male missionaries, and one set of females that have been roaming around along the path stopping and chatting up the walkers. They're all good about wearing masks, etc., but frankly, no one goes out to meet Mormon missionaries on their morning walks. So far I have avoided talking with them. With the COVID thing going on, the have to be pretty bored.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 03:57PM

Same here in south SL County. Only, they are biking endlessly around the neighborhoods. What in the heck are they doing all day? No one wants to talk to them and it seems like the members don't even engage with them.

What a horrible time to be on a mission.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: August 20, 2020 04:38PM

I would have rather biked around endlessly, and not have anything to do rather than knock on doors all day.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 07:15PM

You can easily see the guy you work for has no tricks up his sleeve. No Second Coming for Mormon Jesus.

And you are just out there by yourself and another gullible soul to canvas the area for new recruits in We Make Real Estate with Your Money Scheme.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 26, 2020 07:21PM

I saw three of them on foot in front of Whole Foods on North Academy. Appeared to be killing time.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 01:46AM

On my mission they kept pounding in the quote "The field is white and ready for harvest". What are they telling missionaries now?

"The field is barren and seething with virus"?

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 03:06PM

"You are a special generation, preserved to be sent forth in the last days, none but you are valiant enough to withstand this useless boredom." --- or something like that.

"Today we will see who has character. Missionaries with Character will find a young family and BAPTIZE them, the rest of you are losers destined to be servants in heaven."

The latter is a translated quote from my mission president in 1978.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 29, 2020 04:25PM

I think you've got that about right.

I had two mission presidents. The first was a real stand-up guy. The second was a nut job. Glad I got trained under the first one.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 01:55AM

THE MORmON church still has missionaries out ????? .....really ?????????

Posted by: Orgelet ( )
Date: August 29, 2020 05:05AM

smirkorama Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> THE MORmON church still has missionaries out ?????
> .....really ?????????

It depends where you are.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 12:54PM

It's so sad that they are wasting two of the most formative years of their lives. The pandemic could give the church the excuse it needs to really overhaul the missionary program. Shorten them to 6 months and call them to a specific humanitarian program they would support. They can wear their helping hands shirts and start to be known as the humanitarian brigade. They could work with literacy programs, disaster response, give away face masks on the streets, food banks, homeless programs, any one of many community outreach programs that would give them visibility. It would maybe be something that would interest people who would ask "who are these kids and what makes them want to do this?" Then they could talk about the church, probably way more in 6 months than they do in 2 years of walking around a lake trying to chat people up who are out to exercise.

But the geezer brigade are just to damn old to think outside the box and figure out how to REALLY change the image of the church and hence grow their billions in slush funds.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 04:14PM

NormaRae: What fabulous ideas you have. Why aren't you the prophet? :)

Or why can't the prophet think like you?

Shorter missions, emphasis on humanitarianism. I love it.

I agree it's ridiculous to waste so much time, especially as it's supposed to be their best 2 years, but also potentially putting them in danger due to roaming around during a pandemic.

I saw missionaries a few times in the past doling out porridge at a mission for homeless folks. You'd have to think they would find that more satisfying than knocking on doors or just hanging out doing not much of anything.

Tragic to waste all that time and having to pretend it's spiritual, enlightening or useful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2020 04:14PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 20, 2020 05:50PM

They could do a million things better if their main interest was in helping the missionaries. But the missionaries are there to serve the G-15, not the other way around.

Date: July 28, 2020 05:03PM

"Geezer Brigade!" I'm gonna remember this one. (Except that I am now a geezer, and may forget.)

These guys could be back home shagging their girlfriends, and stuff. It's sad. It's really sad. I know. I, myself, lost two years doing it, while my girlfriend was back home shagging other guys (not using protection, and somehow never getting pregnant). I feel ashamed to this day. I also had to retire two years later than normal because of the two years wasted. The fact that those two years follow you the rest of your life is something that the geezer brigade fails to tell you.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: July 29, 2020 10:57AM

Just remember that the "mission" is NOT so much to convert gentiles. It is to convert the missionaries into being lifelong TBMs who will willingly give their 10% to the old geezers for life.......

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 01:18PM

pls tell me the name of the lake, I'll put it on my list,
NOT to stalk U or anyone!!!!

thanks, GNPE

Date: July 28, 2020 05:16PM

Lake Sacajawea. (Yeah, Native American name, like everything else here--Skapoose, Clatskenie, Skookumchuk, Skamokawa, Muckleshoot, Nisqually, Puyallup, Stillaguamish, etc. 'Tis a silly place.)

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 01:29PM

The 'church' is bored. That's why it can't figure out what to do with it's youth, focusing on its 'General Member Delusion Program' (GMDP) of ICS (invisible church safety), otherwise known as Insecure Collective Shakes.

Hell it can't even figure out what to do with it's old, outdated systems of ignorance, lies, bullying (callings), neglect and abuse.

It's RIDICULOUS missionaries are still out. They want to keep the tens of thousands of young deluded fools out while the hundreds of thousands, even millions, suffer, dwindle and die (in unbelief, and unapologetically).

The program - like the LDSC itself - lacks FOCUS, VISION, PROPOSE. These missionaries don't know what they're doing, or how to do it.

I'd be popping whillies -and maybe smoking Willie's (Private Reserve) [brand name] - and standing of my head. Hanging from trees and taking a break at local fishing/ swimming holes... just like the early missionaries.

The Mormon 'church' is trying to DIS(infect) the world and INFECT it's missionary-members at the same time, which can't be done.

If these kids would simply EXERCISE (their bodies and minds) - and LISTEN TO MUSIC - and participate in local customs, EVEN in the US.... they might actually grow and expand, rather than shrink and shrivel.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 11:38AM

Granted, it's been hot as blazes, but they weren't even knocking doors before the pandemic, let alone now.

It's weird. When I lived in the DC area, I used to see them all the time. Up here in New England, nothing.

I guess it makes sense that they consolidated this area's mission into its neighbors.

Tyson

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 03:02PM

I live in Maryland, and I haven't seen them out and about in ages. I used to see them occasionally in my community, visiting members. Or I would see them out on the street while I was driving about, or at the library.

I did notice a couple of years back that the third (Englilsh-speaking) ward that used to exist in my area disappeared, and a Spanish branch popped up in its place. So my guess is that the missionaries are focusing on the immigrant neighborhoods.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: August 19, 2020 11:33AM

Either they were grabbing lunch or switching Metros. Sometimes, they would be outside. They were NEVER proselyting, unlike the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Tyson

Date: September 03, 2020 01:48PM

One thing 'constant' (except for COVID now) they were 'always' seen online at the library on Mondays here (sequim, wa).

Libraries are CLOSED; maybe they installed computers at the chapel, IDK.

Back In The Day, they were often playing basketball 'Youth Program'.. what a farce that was!!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 06:03PM

Cludgie-----

I like Waketickhe, a small creek north of Hoodsport, Washington.

Pronounced, wick- key-tick- ee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2020 06:04PM by tumwater.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 19, 2020 11:04PM

This ties right into the ham radio thread!!

wick key tick ee, wick key talk ee

No, I'm NOT sorry I did it!

Date: September 01, 2020 09:27PM

any good skinny-dipping spots there, Mr. Tumwater?

Date: September 01, 2020 11:38PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> any good skinny-dipping spots there, Mr. Tumwater?

Typical Olympic mountain stream,steep, rocky and cold.

Go skinny dipping and it'll take you a couple days to find your junk.

Date: September 01, 2020 11:58PM

privacy; Any to be had there?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 02, 2020 12:24AM

True about the cold water... Um> not sure about the junk - though I found it a funny one - but it's so invigorating!!! Exhilarating-
Refreshing~

I don't care what happens to my junk because it happens to the whole body at once. ALWAYS worth it.

GNPE - privacy?

What good would that do? A friend wants to know. EVERYONE should be able to skinny dip. Inquiring minds want to know. WikiTRICKY

Have a ball!
Frozen balls
Ahaghaghhhhhh

People always bathed and swam in waters. Keeps clean and strong!

Date: September 02, 2020 12:33PM

I'm sure you can find some privacy, but there are logging roads crossing the area.

Any prime areas will be taken. The nearby Lake Cushman has been closed by the Forest Service because of overcrowding, rowdiness, roads being blocked. People will seek other places to play.

I misspelled the name it should be Waketickeh not Waketickhe.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Waketickeh+Creek/@47.5905481,-123.0801299,13z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x5491d211510b76eb:0xdccd497d982d0a86!8m2!3d47.5895815!4d-123.0531167

Date: September 02, 2020 12:31AM

tumwater Wrote:
> Cludgie-----

I like Waketickhe, a small creek north of Hoodsport, ...

> Pronounced, wick- key-tick- ee.

tumwater,

That 'a' (second letter) really throws it off, it not being an I am all.

I love the native, if you will, names.

WIKIticky

Nope (only to write it).

The way it's spelled: wake tick he.

Like Hoodsport. Is that a good sport, in the neighborhood? Good ;)

Date: September 01, 2020 07:33PM

I don't think coronavirus made it boring.

Mormonism just doesn't allow (have) that much to do.

I can't imagine. I'd go awol (action with out leaving), or take a permanent vacation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.