Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: July 29, 2020 02:20PM

"Samoan chief in New Zealand sentenced to 11 years in jail for slavery"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/28/asia/slavery-matamata-new-zealand-intl-hnk/index.html

And he's a mormon!

"'We go to the same ward for the Mormon church or the Latter Day Saints, he loves to go to church whenever he comes to Samoa and I just can't believe he could’ve done something this bad to our own people,' [another mormon] says."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/04/slavery-in-new-zealand-inside-the-story-of-the-samoan-chief-who-abused-power-for-profit

And the hits just keep on coming…

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 29, 2020 03:49PM

From the second article, the one from the Guardian:

“International statistics tell us there are 40 million people in some form of slavery so it’s probably quite right to say this is just the tip of the iceberg and there are many more potential cases of this happening in New Zealand or elsewhere in the world.”

Add the approximately 6 million active mormons and that brings the tally up to 46 million people in "some form of slavery".

And weirdly, only the 6 million mormons PAY the slave master for the privilge.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 29, 2020 04:59PM

Thanks! I saw the initial story and wondered, because the article mentioned "church, if he was LDS, since quite a few Samoans are Mormon.
>
>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2020 12:32AM by scmd1.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 30, 2020 03:22AM

Frankly this doesn't sound all that different from some of the stories from polyg businesses in the Morridor. LDS Inc encourages this by expecting that all labor from people at the bottom of the LDS food chain should be donated.

While other churches have plenty of volunteer labor, they also tend to pay people like musicians and ministers and even groundskeepers and janitors for their time and expertise.

The net result is that Mormons have something of a reputation for being willing to pay for stuff, perhaps not happily, but they really hate to pay for services. they simply take it for granted that labor should be free. They are expected to give free labor to the church all the time. What makes you so special that you should be paid?

The logical conclusion of that, of course, is slavery.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 30, 2020 07:52AM

Valid point, when I use to go to church there was always an expectation that all work was free, we never, ever got paid for anything. Time was not valued in anyway, Elders were always expected to move people and spend hours every week doing this work for free. Cleaning was done for free, babysitting kids was done for free. And yes it was always the poorer folks who were doing this slave labor. Wealthier folks with good salaries and busy schedules were for whatever reason exempt.

If mormondom would pay a small reimbursement for service rendered people sure would feel better about doing it. And they certainly could afford it.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: July 30, 2020 09:46AM

I watched the local bishopric one time when I was a teen, call my mother up to help a "struggling family" in the ward. Their house was in shambles, dirty clothes everywhere, dishes piled up, etc. Since they new my mother was such a strong believer in "if it is by my mouth or the mouth of my servants, it is the same." The Bishop asked her to clean this entire house up for this family they were trying to reactivate (i.e. Adult mom and dad, and two older teens). I was livid, but could not get her to let go of the cult hold on her. Hey man, I am all for reparation too for their slave cult labor.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 30, 2020 10:28AM

Wasn’t he just living his religion? If you’re going to have lots of slaves in the CK anyway, waiting until you’re dead is just a formality.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 30, 2020 08:27PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.