Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Question ( )
Date: August 01, 2020 02:15AM

I recently learned via this board that Mormons can now tithe via the main church website, and that this allows for some income privacy.

However, I have a hard time seeing how some info wouldn't be shared with local leadership. Does anyone know if this online giving is completely anonymous?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Idiot in Idaho ( )
Date: August 01, 2020 04:07AM

The ward clerk can pull down data. In this church, there is no privacy.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 01, 2020 11:20AM

Wow I did not know that. My mom pays her tithing online because she does not want the bishop to know how much she makes. I will tell her that. Thank you

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: August 01, 2020 11:56AM

Nope it's not anonymous.The ward or financial clerk will give it to you as a financial statement at end of year.

Posted by: Sticher ( )
Date: August 01, 2020 09:01PM

OK, I'm ward financial clerk. I worked tithing settlement last year. The year end statements did not include on line payments. Tithing settlement is the honor system. It's a simple yes or no. I could probably dig deeper in financial records and pull up on line contributions. Since there are so many ways to under estimate income, church records are not an accurate financial statement. If you want to cheat the Lord's 10th, there is no problem doing that. And then what IS the Lord's 10th? There is so much fuzzy maths.

Posted by: Question ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 01:15AM

Of course!!! It's just a way for Headquarters to make sure funds aren't diverted.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 01, 2020 12:24PM

if u want privacy, you can either

- buy a money order

- set up a blind trust / paper corporation

I'm sure there are other ways, these just popped into mind first

Posted by: thegame2017 ( )
Date: August 01, 2020 02:14PM

Best way is just dont pay it at all!

Date: August 01, 2020 03:01PM

but If you're a member of their club, they can hunt you down like a dirty dog; just look around, some people can tell you about that.

makes me wonder ... how long is a 'tithing history' maintained for each member? Wow.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: August 01, 2020 04:28PM

If you give me the tithing, I will make sure no one knows. For your ten percent I will guarantee that you will get into mormon VIP heaven or your money back!

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: August 01, 2020 08:33PM

I did just that and when I quit paying tithing approx. 2 years before I quit I was never caught.

They 'knew' I paid directly to the church they didn't get any report or anything else!!! I was never asked and never lied about being a full tithe payer but I didn't attend tithing settlement either.

Note. This was 10 years ago so maybe things are different.

Posted by: A New Name ( )
Date: August 01, 2020 08:39PM

There is a way to do it anonymously, but it is NOT the one from the church's web site. Years ago I set up a direct "bill pay" with the church. They don't like this, as it is manpower intensive (I can use the word manpower because their is no way a woman is doing this at the COB), and they have to manually enter your payment, but they like the money more so they do it. Completely anonymous. My bishop never saw anything.

Date: August 01, 2020 08:50PM

ChurchCo 'needs' tithing like people need another hole in their head.

Oh except they're hooked on receiving that $$$

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 06:23PM

Question Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently learned via this board that Mormons can
> now tithe via the main church website, and that
> this allows for some income privacy.
>
> However, I have a hard time seeing how some info
> wouldn't be shared with local leadership. Does
> anyone know if this online giving is completely
> anonymous?

Nope. Don't be silly-

You want to give the Mormon Church money, for free, anonymously, where they wouldn't know where it came from?

Try mailing cash - with no return address - to any LDS church, "mission", temple, or even the corporation of the corn cob in salt lake City.

That's if you can't safely drop a suitcase of money, preferably large bills, in Temple square sometime in the dead of night.

Anonymously?

You (might) still know who you are.

It is probably just better to die and leave it all to TSCC. That we even you wouldn't need to be anonymous.

Posted by: Blot ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 02:17PM

E-mail donations@churchofjesuschrist.org and let them know you would like to set up anonymous tithing donations. I did this when I was called to be Bishop as I was going through my truth-crisis with the church. Served my time and happily released as being Bishop - Now, I am enjoying the COVID-free days of church.

This is set up for people who don't want their local leadership to know how much tithing they are paying. From what I understand, all other payments will be reported to your local leadership (i.e. fast offerings, ward missionary fund, Other, etc, but your tithing will not). I have been doing this for several years, paying very little monetary value in tithing without any issues. I feel fine going to Tithing Settlement and saying I'm a full tithe payer because you are tithed based off your increase, which is up to you to decide. I just let the Bishop know I pay directly to the church for privacy reasons. No issues and should be no issues.

Following is the e-mail I got back from e-mailing donations@churchofjesuschrist.org and and requesting anonymous tithing donations.

Hope this helps,
Blot

--------------------------------------------------------------

Follow the instructions and send a test (see Step 5). Bill pay donations must come electronically or this method will not be an option for you.

You are now setup to start using the bill pay program for your donations. Please follow the instructions below to set up your bill pay with your bank. Our goal is to have your donations come over electronically. If your payees are set up incorrectly we will receive a physical check which we would like to avoid.

Important information:

These instructions are unique to each donor depending on their Financial Institution. Please do not pass along these instructions since they are unique to you.
This method only works with US Funds from United States banking institutions.
When you initiate each donation please check and double check the amount is correct before you send the donation.
You will receive monthly statements by email to ensure that your donations were received and allocated correctly.
At the end of January a tax valid receipt will also be emailed for your prior years contributions.
Please add donations@churchofjesuschrist.org to your email address book to ensure that your email statements and other correspondence are sent to your inbox rather than your spam folder.
Your bishop and ward clerk will NOT be able to see your donations and you should attend tithing settlement as normal.

*Automatic and re-curring donations are discouraged. We have had many problems with this feature- coming when the member couldn’t or didn’t stop the donation from coming. We are unable to issue refunds.

Step 1

Login to your bank account online with your financial institution then select the bill pay tab and then add a new payee/bill. Your bank may ask if you are paying a company or individual choose company.

Step 2

Set up separate payees for each category. For example: if you want to donate to tithing and fast offering, you must setup a payee named LDS-TITHING and a separate payee named LDS-FAST OFFERING.

Below are the exact payee names that must be used for the donation categories we accept:

LDS-TITHING
LDS-FAST OFFERING
LDS-GENERAL MISSIONARY
LDS-BOOK OF MORMON
LDS-HUMANITARIAN
LDS-PEF
LDS-TEMPLE PATRON
LDS-TEMPLE CONSTRUCTION

These are the only categories that can be accepted electronically through bill pay. Electronic bill pay donations cannot go back to the local ward unit for Ward Missionary payments. Please leave the notes/memo section blank.

Step 3

Input the address and telephone. Your financial institution may auto populate the address and telephone number, if not please input this information as it appears below:

50 E North Temple St RM 1521
Salt Lake City, UT 84150
801-240-2554

If the address will not fit on the first address line, drop Room 1521 to the second address line.

Step 4

Input your account number. Your account number is your Church Membership Number, the system will only recognize one membership number and no other information as the account number. Your membership number is included below. The membership number is 11 digits.

Please input only your membership number in this format: 000-0000-0000 All leading zeros and dashes are necessary. If your system will not take hyphens, use all the numbers (including the zeros) and no spaces.

Step 5

When youmake the donation, e-mail donations@churchofjesuschrist.org and let us know the amount, and your membership number. We will watch for this and e-mail you back to let you know that it came electronically. If it rejects, it will come by check, we will see why it rejected then let you know what to do to correct it.

Date: August 03, 2020 07:10PM

So complicated, just like the rest of Mormonism

We Can TAKE but
We Cannot GIVE

Date: August 03, 2020 02:27PM

like I said, buy a (WU) money order, here they're only .89...t

sign it: John D Lee or Mr. Gerald Tanner

put it in a stamped envelop & send it to churchco, you're done.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 05, 2020 12:10PM

For all of the good it does, why not just flush ten percent of your income down the toilet as cash? Your donations can be anonymous that way, and Jesus has the power to retrieve it if he really wants it. That money will help the poor and needy the same as if you gave the money directly to your Bishop. Maybe less damage will be done in this world if Mormonism is not fueled by your donations to it..... or you could either give yourself a ten-percent raise or donate to a real charity that you actually believe in. Whatever you do, don't give it to the Mormon church where it will actually cause harm to others and feed false religious beliefs and social dysfunctions.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 05, 2020 01:33PM

No tax deduction for you !

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 05, 2020 09:42PM

Too bad for the cult that they pissed me off and alienated me when I was young and before I resigned my membership. I donate more to the United Way now than I ever paid in tithing. With the United Way, you can specify percentages of your donations and how you want them spent. Most of what I donate now goes to educate kids and to help teenagers from broken homes.

Date: August 07, 2020 10:16AM

Yes-

You can send it to me, anonymously. Honestly...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.