Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Secular Priest ( )
Date: August 01, 2020 04:26PM

Last weekend I was visiting a friend in a area that had a small branch. She invited me to attend the LDS Church on Sunday. They said only about 14 people attend and they sit 6 feet apart and some wear masks. I felt it would be safe so I agreed to go. Yes everyone was six feet apart. The sacrament was prepared and administered by a person in protective gloves, etc. No singing and one talk. It was weird. I expected at the end that everyone would leave by a different door as that is the rule in my ward, which I have not attended. No everyone stood up and started talking and came over to talk to me. I tried to maintain the 6 ft distance.

Here is what made me furious. The branch was mostly over 65 years old. One sister was younger. I found out the younger sister had been/was still sick due to something. She was attending with her mother. Then I found out an older guy was very sick with lung problems. Had just had a virus test at the local hospital and was waiting for results but he still attended. He said he did not have the virus. This was a very small chapel, like one room building in a small town.

I understand why these people attend. They need the social benefits as they are older and family is not near, etc. But folks getting tested and waiting for results and attending a church meeting. Not good.

I was stupid to attend. I forget LDS people think that God will protect them. I thought the Church had safe protocols in place especially in a small branch. I guess they forgot to tell the saints if they are sick or waiting for test results to stay home.

As an aside the meeting sucked. It lacked depth, spirit and seem to be worse than a funeral. Its like the Church is dying.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: August 01, 2020 04:36PM

You mentioned that mormons feel they will be protected. I have noticed that, too.

Yet, we have had a couple of people (incidentally over 65) die from covid in our ward. No one who I know asked why they were not protected by mormon Jesus. It simply never gets said.

The mormon doctrine is like a con game where all the hits get credited to their side and all the misses get ignored or blamed on someone else. It is not clear thinking.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.