Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 07:42PM

Colorado re-opening LDS meetings slowly
Today: Fast & Testimony - total time 33 minutes - that's it folks
Only one dude (preplanned) was allowed to give testimony.
Others were told to record testimony on some facebook thing if they wanted to bear testimony.

No singing - just prerecorded music

Total attendance: a whopping 35 including 5 full-time missionary elders (16% of the total group). Missionaries sat together shoulder to shoulder (I guess they were like a family).
Masks required by all (local church rule, as well as Colorado requirement)

Interestingly, only one person under the age of 18 (a 14 yr old boy) . . . don't know why - where are the kids?
Ward is split in half - half go 1st and 3rd Sunday . . half 2nd & 4th
if 5th Sunday - no church

Sacrament - special procedures - very safe
Overall . . very safe environment . . no COVID-19 spreading
All doors (exterior, interior, bathroom) open at all times
No touching any door handles or doorknobs

Ushered out to parking lot a few at a time after meeting- not possible to gather and mingle in foyer.

Finally, something interesting was mentioned during testimony.
A full-time missionary elder from the ward was stuck in a California apartment when pandemic struck. After 4 months of apartment isolation, he couldn't take it any more and demanded to go home. He got honorable release, and then signed up for some sort of on-line service position after leaving his mission early.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2020 07:50PM by mrx.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 02, 2020 07:47PM

When the church allows missionaries in various parts of the world to stagnate in isolation for months, is that possibly some sort of physical or mental torture?

It just seems like TCOJCOLDS is negligent in operating the world-wide missionary program during the pandemic.

I guess the church leaders are just blissfully clueless about what to do with the missionary program. Perhaps shutting the whole thing down world-wide would seem like some sort of surrender to the influence of Satan. Don't ever want to surrender to that cunning rascal Satan.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 08:13PM

Excellent subject for discussion!

At least the missionaries only "sign" a two-year contract, versus the billion year contract Scientomatologists sign!

Obviously they didn't sign up to be captives of Capt. Covid, and the seeming lack of any sympathy for them by their captors is sad. The leadership believe that ghawd is in charge and uses revelation to instruct his minions, but it is very apparent ghawd is letting them down! They are having to try to figure it out by themselves and inspiration is sorely lacking!

Too bad they can't trust the kids; why can't they let the kids pray for guidance on what they should do? At least then when there's a screw-up, it'll be on the kids and not the leadership, as is the case now.

Russell Milhaus Nelson strikes (out) again!

As the meme say, "Prove me wrong!"

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: September 03, 2020 02:18AM

I asked a TBM friend why the Mormon church is still sending out missionaries during the pandemic. He said the church wants to have the missionaries "poised and ready to go" the minute the vaccine is available.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 09:48PM

This is just stupid and a waste of time. They should just stay with home church for the forseeable future.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 10:00PM

Home church will, over time, become no church.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 11:40PM

home? My cousin is in the far South of South America with her husband as MP and they only have 6 missionaries who are from their area. All the rest were sent home.

There are those in the U.S. My neighbor came home because she has asthma. She was SENT home. She said they had nothing to do but try to do missionary work on phones.

Yes, seems pointless to have any out right now and if the foreign country missionaries got to come home, then the rest should be home, too. If it were my kid, I'd go get him/her.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 04:43AM

I gotta admit, I'm impressed by their public health protocols, doors propped open so no need to touch handles, congregants ushered out after the service so no congregating in foyer, etc.

At least in that ward, they seem to be taking the pandemic pretty seriously. I didn't really expect that.

Date: August 03, 2020 09:54AM

Apparently ghawd finally called someone!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: September 03, 2020 02:23AM

Well, it's not a Utah or Idaho ward...

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 10:47AM

Last Sunday, my friend's Relief Society Zoom meeting had to end because some naked guy showed up.

They went out of the meeting and tried re-opening with a different code more than once, but he kept showing up again. They finally had to just give up and quit the meeting.

My first reaction was to laugh. But then as I thought about it, I realized that a lot of women would have had their children with them, which was later confirmed to me.

Also, it's one thing to choose to look at naked people, but when it's imposed upon you against your will, that's not so funny. I'm sure it could feel quite violating.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 08:32PM

Sounds like they need to update their Zoom and have people be admitted to the meeting after entering a password. That's probably what happened, they had a public meeting where you don't have to be approved by the host to join.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 08:33PM by doyle18.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 03:09AM

There's definitely a lack of Mormon leadership, when it comes to Covid. The Prophet and his henchmen have let the Mormons down. No responsibility, no liability, no leadership, no guts.

Russ and the Geezers are more afraid of the fall of the LDS cult, more than they are afraid of the virus.

They care more about money than human lives.

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: August 05, 2020 12:05PM

I'm absolutely amazed at how quiet the church leaders have been during this whole thing. In five months, we've hear nearly zip. Both local leaders and from SLC. We've gotten one text from the bishop in four months...that is the only communication from anyone in the ward. Other than Bednar's rant about BLM, I've seen/heard hardly anything. You'd think they'd be out there gloating about how they were inspired to come up with the "come follow me" study curriculum and shorter church services...as a transition to "church at home". At the very least stay in tuned with the members so they don't drift away...as I suspect many will not want to come back after seeing how enjoyable Sundays can be without church.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 03, 2020 01:40PM

"Bednar's rant about BLM"

What was this?

Date: August 05, 2020 05:15PM

So weird that ghawd would send this covid-19 as a warning to his children to "return unto Even Jesus", but it results in everyone having to practice social distancing from Even Jesus.

One is tempted to ask the question, "did he think this through?"

Like the Blacks are cursed thing! Better he should have had the fence-sitters of the War in Heaven born into the various pygmy tribes of the world.

Instead of 'The priesthood cannot be bestowed on any man with even a single drop of ...', it would have been, 'The priesthood cannot be bestowed on any Pygmy, no matter how tall...'

dammit, how come ghawd never ever consults with me?

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 03, 2020 01:54AM

How is it going now?

Sacrament - special procedures - very safe
Overall . . very safe environment . . no COVID-19 spreading
All doors (exterior, interior, bathroom) open at all times
No touching any door handles or doorknobs

That's good, with the doors and stuff, but, Mormons ushering Mormons, that's like a conflict of interest, unless they're "called" ushers, and rushers.

Anyway- HOW'S CHURCH GOING NOW? People still meeting (not closing, like schools)?

Date: September 03, 2020 03:12AM

re: HOW'S CHURCH GOING NOW?

same schedule - either 1st/3rd Sunday or 2nd/4th Sunday

Churches are allowed to open in Colorado as long as procedures are followed. Masks definitely required. Limited numbers.
Social distancing . . . and so on . . .
just common sense . . no actual singing by anybody
obviously no handshaking

probably safer than going to Walmart

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 03, 2020 01:59AM

Covid-safe?
Very safe
No covid spreading?

Glad you can see these things. Maybe you should go out more often. See if it's safe everywhere else too.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: September 03, 2020 02:04PM

MrX. I live in Aurora, north of Colfax. Could you please help me figure out if I live in Denver North or Denver South mission?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.