Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 01:30AM

I mean if you could snap your fingers like Thanos or had some other mojo that would make the virus go away all over the world. Would you use it?

Or would you rather watch the US finally get its butt whooping.

Some would see this as a purification by fire, so let it burn. Others would say enough suffering is enough. It’s not a simple answer. Is it okay to play God? It’s not like this can be snapped away, but just supposing. If it could, then come the ethical questions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 02:38AM

In a NY minute.

Ethical question for me is why not.

Whooping can come in other forms like Raptors or Canucks - the latter in our dreams...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 06, 2020 02:42PM

Oh no..not another rabid Canucks fan? Lolol

Date: August 06, 2020 05:21PM

Haha, LR. Not really. I just couldn't think of the name of another team at that particular moment! But really - I should cheer for the home team. I just can't find them at the moment. We were so disappointed that the playoffs didn't come to Vancouver but how silly - it's all in a bubble anyway. But hey, at least they picked Canada. (Who wouldn't - lol).

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 06, 2020 05:24PM

You could always go with the Raptors. I hear they are a good hockey team.

Date: August 06, 2020 05:42PM

Is this another time I'm missing the /s? :p

I mentioned the Raptors above. But they're basketball. I went blank searching for any other hockey name so my default, being near Vancouver, is the Canucks.

Date: August 06, 2020 05:52PM

Dear NG,

I fear that yes, you have fallen into Irony's net. I assure you I no more believe the Raptors are a hockey team than I do that the Vancouver Grizzlies play basketball.

Date: August 06, 2020 06:53PM

Haha LW. You got me again. I was sure you knew the difference between hockey and baseball, er...wait...

I am succumbing to irony fatigue or something - that's four times I've missed it in recent times. Too subtle for me lately.

It's a crazy mixed-up world lately though. When you think something surely must be irony it isn't. When you're not sure it can be quite disorienting. Sometimes it's more serious, when you *really* need to spot the difference.

Despite being on hiatus for months due to The Thing I need a good rest! It feels like.

I'll try to do better. Or else just not question. But that way could lie madness.

Date: August 03, 2020 02:46AM

Was it unethical to eradicate small pox? Was it immoral virtually to eliminate polio? Is overcoming malaria a hubristic enterprise that offends God?

Was it God's will that Native Americans be wiped out by European diseases?

Or is your post ridiculously simplistic?

Date: August 06, 2020 05:29PM

Absolutely unethical, LW. Or not. Depending on your point of view. (You'd think such questions make a damn fine point for the majority of thinking humans).

A friend just sent me a cartoon of three men standing around a beehive. Two are suited up and therefore protected from the stingers. The third guy, hanging out sans protective gear, is saying "it's my right..." just before getting swarmed by the hive's inhabitants.

Good one. He's looking slightly apprehensive as they land all over his exposed body.

I heard a high-ranking US govt official (not the top guy) say yesterday, again, that the flu is more deadly than CV. All righty then, on an individual basis. But when you're responsible for messages that regular folks are getting you better be sure your facts are straight.

Otherwise, disaster looms. And where does the buck stop? (Where should it?) I guess each one of us is supposed to pick our "expert". Hopefully, most people possess a healthy dose of common sense and use it to the fullest extent for the foreseeable.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 04:33AM

Yes, but only to introduce my new and improved Covid20, now with real equal-opportunity killing power, because we are all sons and daughters of those who bore us.

Comes with a double your money back guarantee if not satisfied!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 08:43AM

Plus, we have to keep our medical workers are researchers busy. I'm sure that they don't have enough on their collective plates.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 11:08AM

Knowing me, I’d still have Covid 19. I’ve never kept up with the latest trends.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 09:39AM

Actually, we can stop it.

Just stay home.

Quit sneezing snot on everybody.

Keep your hands to yourself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 09:58AM by kathleen.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 05:48PM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, we can stop it.
>
> Just stay home.
>
> Quit sneezing snot on everybody.
>
> Keep your hands to yourself.

Exactly. We have been given the power to stop it. Why don't we? The answer to that is beyond me. I don't understand it at all.

I guess we were just ill-prepared for such a scenario.

Posted by: SMH ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 09:56AM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I mean if you could snap your fingers like Thanos
> or had some other mojo that would make the virus
> go away all over the world. Would you use it?
>
> Or would you rather watch the US finally get its
> butt whooping.
>
> Some would see this as a purification by fire, so
> let it burn. Others would say enough suffering is
> enough. It’s not a simple answer. Is it okay to
> play God? It’s not like this can be snapped
> away, but just supposing. If it could, then come
> the ethical questions.

You’re wrong. It IS a simple answer,

Your premise is ridiculous and myopic. If the US “deserves” a butt whooping, then why should the rest of the planet get the same?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 10:05AM

"The premise of my premises is primarily preservation of power and privilege for my pampered posterity, Paco."

--

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 06:40PM

I'd stop it before it stops me. If it tries to stop me I'll just keep going.

Yeah, let me just unwind the clock and everyone will be happy again and live after ever, and never. No one will worry. The world will have peace!

I can make whirrled peas. Sblended-

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 10:19AM

Why would you pose this question? The mere existence of this question is an insult to me. 150,000+ dead and possibly more than double that before we have a hope of normalcy? Not to mention lives ruined and disrupted. There is ambiguity here?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 10:55AM

And let Jesus take all the credit----again?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 11:16AM

The way I took the OP is that it is more about the "comeuppance"
that Americans have been begging for for a long time.

I would suspect anyone and everyone would stop it if they had the super power to do just that. I mean we aren't Heavenly Father and Jesus who just like to watch it like some kind of Job losing his family and getting the boils thing. You think God and that Smith guy have a bet on this Covid thing like the Job thing?

In my opinion, Americans were long over due for a correction on many levels. Just would like it to be something besides the covid.

And this COvid has turned out to be an overcorrection--big time. Like we turned the wheel so hard not to run off the side of the road that we veered off the cliff on the other side.

Meanwhile, so many are still making it political and using the Hoax word. Boggles the mind.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 11:57AM

Headline : "Georgia high school student loses both parents to COVID-19"

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 12:36PM

Apparently, people believe that it is more bless-ed to give than to receive. So, yes, let's school up like fish so we can give it to everybody.

You would think that basic survival instinct would dictate that we keep to ourselves. Especially nowadays with telephones, texting, groceries delivered to our porch, etc., it ought to be easy. Even if we have to work, we can largely stay away from our coworkers.

Yes, we could all stop CoVid, but we don't.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 01:33PM

That’s helpful. We could collectively stop it. We just have to decide to. What happened to America’s collective will? Do you let society do the heavy lifting to get there, or do you remove the weight?

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 01:52PM

Too many Americans decided that anything collective sounds like "Communism" so they won't stay home as much as possible, or wear masks and social distance when they do go outside.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 01:52PM by doyle18.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 12:42AM

Exactly. If I could snap my fingers and stop the non compliance/anti-mask/conspiracy theory stupidity I'd opt for that.

Posted by: The Village Atheist ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 12:56PM

Conservation of communal resources, you know.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 05:30PM

before it started. I don't care what kind of comeuppance the American public supposedly needs, this kind of suffering doesn't pick and choose who needs to suffer.

My aunt died August 1st in a care center. She had dementia for the past 3 years. She was a lovely person and I mean a beautiful lady and she had the best sense of humor. She could make any story humorous. I could sit and listen to her talk for hours. I'd say myself it was time for her to go. She has wanted to go since her husband died (my mom's brother) 12 years ago. They really had a great love story. I do believe in an afterlife and I believe she is with him and with my mom and my grandmother and grandfather, etc. BUT I didn't want her to die of COVID.

Date: August 03, 2020 05:43PM

"...BUT I didn't want her to die of COVID."

Exactly, cl12.

Sorry about your aunt. This thing is brutal.

It's comforting to believe in an afterlife. My maternal aunt died at Christmas, only four months after my mom unexpectedly left us. She was the last of four sisters who were very close to each other and beloved by us all. I texted my brother informing him of our Auntie Mary's passing and he replied "There'll be a knees-up in Heaven tonight" (due to the supposed reunion of the four sisters and their parents, who were English and Irish and known to enjoy a sup). My brother is not particularly religious but it was a funny thought and strangely comforting to me.

Date: August 03, 2020 05:54PM

Yes, but first I'd stop Mormonism, tyrants, and ignorance...

Stop it!

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 10:00PM

I'd have to think about it. A lot of good has come from this wake up call. Society is way more safety conscious than it was in the past. I'd never put a mask on before or seen them out in public like they are now. And to be honest, I'm really liking it! The grocery store has never been so safe as it is now. I haven't had a cold or the sniffles in months.

And temperature checks at sporting events? why couldn't someone have thought of this before now?

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 11:58AM

So, have you had a chance to think about it? Do you think the death, sickness, loss of jobs, loss of safety, loss of peace of mind...of millions of people worldwide is worth the fact that .” You haven’t had any sniffles in a long time”? And it’s not over yet.....so I guess you still have time to “think about it”.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 01:14PM

May I trade up?

If I may, I’d snap my fingers and wipe out all cardiovascular diseases, which, according to WHO, are the world’s biggest killers.

But, to the ethical question, it’s beyond dispute that the world isn’t in need of MORE people...

Date: August 05, 2020 10:53AM

I started it and I'll end it. Wait, no, you started this post. The End.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin(cussing) ( )
Date: August 06, 2020 10:38AM

it has improved, that it is on the decline and we will be over it soon, but it is never good news. I'm weary of the rioting. No matter what else is going on in my life, that hangs there in the background making life seem intolerable.

My son had a mental breakdown in April. He started becoming delusional. I couldn't explain what it was like if I tried, the strangeness that I was living with every day. I knew there was something he needed diagnosed for a long time, but he wouldn't talk to a therapist even if he went to them where I sent him. He ended up in the mental health ward. One of his bosses called the cops. I couldn't do it. He continued on being delusional and still is to a point, but much better than he was. He isn't working, but can go back when he is ready. He is in therapy and on Medicaid. Working towards disability. My son is with me all day every day. Oh, he totaled his pickup, too.

I've had 1 surgery for cataracts and have another one in 3 weeks. I just lost a front tooth and now it is time to get dentures (I refuse to get implants, I've had too many people I know have bad experiences and I won't pay that much money. I'm not that vain. My mother wore dentures all the time I was alive and she was fine.) But I get to have the rest of my teeth pulled 5 days after I have cataract surgery.

Things just keep getting worse. Thank goodness my doctor gave me more Xanax or I don't know how I'd deal with life right now.

So getting up every damn morning and hearing about COVID and I type it up, too. It isn't just those who die or who test positive who are suffering. If is all of us. And if I had kids school age, no way in hell would my kids be going to school. So they don't seem to be impacted by it. So we are going to put them in a situation like school and see how that works out??? We are making them lab rats?

I just can't wait until this damn hot summer is over and that COVID has a vaccine. I hate vaccines for myself like flu, but you bet I'll get the COVID one. I'll be the first in line.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 06, 2020 10:41AM

Date: August 06, 2020 05:31PM

So sorry to hear cl2. You've had far more than your fair share of challenges. You must be very strong as you do keep going. I hope everybody in your life appreciates that. Maybe it'll be your turn soon to reap some benefits, literally, figuratively, however they may come.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.