Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 03:08PM

I'm a cancer "survivor." Had my five year checkup last Winter.

Cancer sucks. As some of you know, I lost my wife to it 3 years ago too.

Anyway, I'm applying for a new teaching position, and completing the process online. It's basically asking me about my disability status, current or previous, and lists cancer among the disabilities.

It's just a yes or no option.

This may sound silly, but it's the first time I've made an application since I had cancer, so I've never had to consider it before.

I'm wondering about whether to check yes or no, and potential implications (positive or negative).

Does anyone have any insight into this? Disability at a state university.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 03:26PM

Gordon
I am 84 years old and I find that telling the truth is in the long run the way to go.
Here is my take on the brutality of truth

Truth is brutal. It is non-compromising to circumstance. It is what it is and not what we may want it to be. It will withstand scrutiny. Truth is devastating to the liar. They can be called to account for their lies and will almost always become belligerent and violent when exposed. However truth will not be thwarted. It will force it's way to the fore and demand attention.
If you always try to tell the truth as you see it your circle of so called friends might diminish but the circle of people who respect you will enlarge expotentially.
I hope this helps you decide.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 03:40PM

I hope you can get expert advice.

If you document no disability, could that impact potential need for disability status later if anyone should access that application? If the cancer came back it could look like you covered it up.

Or if you document disability, is it only used to show the employer does not discriminate against disabilities?

I hope there is a place to make a comment on the application? I hate it when I don't know the purpose of a question and things could be answered either way depending on interpretation.

Good luck with your application!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 03:44PM

GBS: Sorry about your wife. That is brutal.

I have no knowledge or insight into your situation in any way but just wanted to ask if the "disability" question applies to an applicant's current situation. If you have been given the all-clear at the 5-yr mark (whoo hoo btw on that good news) would they consider your previous health condition a current disability? It would seem not. I never lie on forms or applications but have learned the hard way to not volunteer any potentially disqualifying information that they didn't ask for and/or don't need. You can always fill out the form to your own best advantage (i.e. not volunteering negative information) and then, if you feel inclined and/or if it seems prudent, you can check during an interview on whether your response to this question on your application is acceptable to them. That will show that you do not intend to be deceptive.

Unless, of course, the question asks whether any of these conditions apply historically to your situation. But the way you've worded it, it seems that the word "disability" is in the present tense.

Do you consider that your past history of cancer, that has now been resolved as far as you understand, is an ongoing "disability".

I understand that for health insurance, for instance, the past history needs to be complete and accurate, of course. But I've never heard that cancer in remission or deemed cured is considered a current disability, even in the realm of employment. Maybe it has something to do with health insurance provided by the job?

But maybe it's truthful for you to say no to having a cancer "disability", depending on how the question is worded and whether it sounds like they mean ongoing cancer or cancer in your background.

Good luck with the application. I hope you're successful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 03:45PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 03:50PM

I'd do a bit of research, maybe even consult a lawyer. Depending on your state and also the prevailing labor law, the question may be illegal. Alternatively, you may have no choice.

This is an issue where expertise could shed some light.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 04:00PM

Do they also ask your ethnicity? It could just be part of their affirmative action plan. Maybe the company sells to the federal government, which imposes these kinds of rules.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 04:45PM

I would consult a lawyer. One consultation should not cost you very much.

When my mom was ready to return to the work force, she answered applications honestly about a previous illness. She applied for many, many jobs and didn't get hired. Finally she lied on an application. She got hired and worked as many years as she wanted to at that job.

In general, I don't advocate lying on applications. But sometimes the questions on an application are an impediment. I agree with Lottie that the questions you are being asked may not even be legal to ask. They are asking about private health matters that are covered under HIPAA. Whatever health and disability coverage they eventually extend to you would be the same as extended to other similar employees.

So, ask a lawyer about it.

Posted by: nancyanne ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 09:30PM

Having had "Cancer" is not, in itself, a disability. Are you disabled? Does the fact that you had cancer in the past affect your work in any way? "Cancer" in the past is no more a disability than having had any other disease...IF IT IS IN THE PAST.

Nancy Anne

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 09:49PM

If this is a job you want, I think you can get away with not telling them everything. 5 year checkup means you don't have cancer. If you were going in for radiation every two weeks then that's something else and I'd say explain these details. Otherwise it's none of their business.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 02:44AM

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

The application process allows saving and also navigating around, so I went back to review the page again later. I realized that one of the options is “I choose not to answer,” and also that the question itself is optional. There’s a spot where you have to enter your name and date, which are not optional and give the impression that it’s all mandatory, but I realized that the germane question is not mandatory. I ran the “application check” process at the end, and it did not complain. So I’ve simply not selected anything.

Part of the last steps is that it shows you your whole application as it will be printed out, and it also showed a more detailed explanation of this question in particular. It says that because the school is a government contractor they need to reach a target of 7% of employees with disabilities. It said (again) current or former, and cancer is in the long list of ailments that are considered disabilities. This longer explanation mentioned that the question is optional (which I had already figured out), but that they “hoped” you would answer, presumably because they want to reach that 7%. It also said the answer would not be shared with the hiring committee.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 10:09PM

I think that the Americans with Disabilities Act applies federally (in every US state). If the employer is a government contractor, they have an obligation to hire employees per a specific policy that could give you an advantage if you have any disabilities. Find out if the employer is required to observe ADA hiring guidelines as a next step. If not, it may be illegal for them to even ask these kinds of questions. I received ADA training at work and recall that the only way your disability can diminish your likelihood of being hired is if the disability would prevent you from doing the kind work that they would be hiring you for. Larger employers may handle this issue better since they have more to lose. Smaller employers may be more ignorant and may not educate their hiring managers as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2020 10:12PM by azsteve.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.