Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 04:02PM

Something that was one of the strongest testimony things for me for the longest time, has now become a sore point as I explore my exmo status.

The Pre-existence and the plan of salvation.

So, the whole thing, us spirit children wanting to be like God and see him again, coming down here, the testing, then going back, getting our own planet and....doing it all over again. It use to make perfect sense to me in the Campbell monomyth sense of destiny neatly packaged. But it doesn't, does it? Like, it makes about as much sense as a heaven where you sit on a cloud and strum a harp for eternity.

They don't sell it very well either, do they? Like, families can be together forever...except for the rebellious cousins or siblings. But then again, you can visit them on weekends if you want, so, it's still okay. Like, they really make a case that only Hitler goes to outer darkness.

Mostly my gripe is with being told all this time that I should want this thing because "that's why you came down here." I don't want my own planet and to be a god over others in this neverending cosmic deification training program.

Anyway, what do you want from an afterlife? Was it ever enough for you, what they said? I'm finding it lacking now. Pardon my language but it sounds like Hell, lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 04:04PM by thegoodman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 04:47PM

>> "What do you want from Heaven?"

Pennies! Pennies? I ask for dollars and all I get are damn pennies!

Posted by: hujo2MAGA ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 05:04PM

I know it's all BS, but the telestial kingdom sounds fun. It's probably just a huge party down there lol. Creating your own planet and being a god sounds lit too.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 05:06PM

Mostly, I want the opportunity to spend time with my loved ones once again. My loved ones include my dogs and cats. Apart from that, I want time to pursue my interests, including travel. If I can't see everything I want to see on this planet, and elsewhere, before I die, I'd like to see it after.

I'd like some answers to questions that I have -- not the big questions of life, but more a perspective on my past.

If I could personally witness/experience some historical events, that would be most interesting and enlightening.

And I'd like to plan my next lifetime together with my family and close friends.

Date: August 03, 2020 05:12PM

Sold! I like that answer! In addition to travel, I want time to read all the books this place had to offer. I'm a bibliophile but there's just soooo many and the whole "struggling to survive" thing keeps my attention divided.

I also really like visiting historical events or answering questions about yourself. There's stuff from my life that I've forgotten or things that happened that I'd like to see more camera angles on.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 07:06PM

Yes, indeed -- access to Heaven's vast libraries would be a wonderful thing. I'd also like a garden to tend and enjoy, and views of breaking waves against a seashore.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 07, 2020 01:03AM

Bingo!

I would love to see my loved ones again. I would love to meet and chat with, say, Louisa May Alcott. Or hear Lawrence Chamberlain tell the story about defending Little Round Top, complete with his Maine accent. Or listen to Mark Twain tell his stories.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 05:33PM

I started to worry as a young child that my dad wouldn't be with us because he drank coffee and I had been taught that was a huge sin. I wanted to have children and a husband who adored me and we could live forever.

I wanted nothing to do with being a God. Not for a second. And I certainly didn't want to participate in polygamy and there isn't a member of my family who would want to.

Then I've had dogs. I want my dogs to come running to meet me when I leave this life.

When I went to the temple, I thought, "Oh hell, this is probably what the CK is supposed to be like." That was a real eye opener.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 05:47PM

It is hell.
You mean LDS origins right. It's stories. It's treatment of the individual, and their poor families.

We understand.

I don't like to think about the afterlife, or even the beforelife, all that much, but rather life!

We can only do that by LIVING. Not talking about it. Trying to explain it. Taking about AFTERWARD-

I think it'll be grand. Can't be much better - or worse - than this.

Maybe without the pain and suffering and blood and guts and all that shit.

Maybe like Margaritaville?

Date: August 03, 2020 05:52PM

Well, I meant a neverending cycle of gods begetting gods over and over for eternity. It's like, "No, seriously, what is the freaking point?"

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 05:53PM

I imagined there's no heaven
The feeling was so calming
The final rest is all I want
No need for an embalming.

Date: August 03, 2020 05:57PM

Good answer. Part of me really wants that too. Only because it feels like agony to not have an end that I can count on. Whether for ill or good, I will have to endure my consciousness forever in some form or another.

Date: August 03, 2020 06:06PM

I know. Last thing I want is to wake up after dying and my first thought is, "Oh crap there's more?"

"Immortal? I never checked that box! Is there German Chocolate cake here at least?"

Date: August 03, 2020 06:10PM

"Alright, screw it, where the H is my Kindle? I have over 600 unread titles downloaded and if we're gonna do this, by Gawd, we're gonna do it!"

Posted by: Baker Street ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 06:07AM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know. Last thing I want is to wake up after
> dying and my first thought is, "Oh crap there's
> more?"

As opposed to, "this is it?"

We have great moments in our lives, but most of it is either boring or miserable. The idea I've just spent several months of my life being in controlled house arrest/solitary confinement, because of supposed disease control and I'll never get it back... Well, that's depressing. I know that there are good people in the world who have much worse lives than me because of starvation, war, torture, prison camps etc - it's even more unfair on them. If this is all they have, that's even more depressing.

I'd like to think there is an afterlife and it's happier than this one. Also, I understand why some people believe in Hell - I wouldn't want most people to go there but there are some very evil people out there, and we can see them operating right now.

Date: August 04, 2020 10:07AM

108 Billion people have lived so far on this planet.

108 Billion people all hoping for their version of heaven ever since the firsT human came up with the concept and began selling After-Life Insurance.

108 Billion and counting. Milling around. Annoying. Asking for directions. Standing in line at Chez Joseph.

108 Billion is not the number of people who make a nice cocktail party.

108 Billion is enough to make you feel like you are just another brick in the wall. A wall much bigger than the President's new monument.

108 Billion are how many mealy bugs killed my Meyer Lemon tree. Our planet is not even managing against merely 8 Billion people and their plastic bags.

It was all okay when I was going to get my own planet and it would just be me, my dogs, horses and birds and all the waterfall I wanted to make. But 108 is NOT my lucky number and 109 would be pure torture.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 01:17PM

Baker Street Wrote:
> Done & Done Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> As opposed to, "this is it?"

If one ceases to exist, they won't exist to be upset they no longer exist.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 06:18PM

I went to heaven and all I got was a TK smoothie.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 06:27PM

I came here so I could go to Mormon heaven and make lots of spirit babies with my myriad of spirit wives with whom I’ll rule and reign because I wear magical underwear and know special handshakes. What’s weird about that?

Date: August 03, 2020 06:30PM

uh...the last thing? That's pretty weird.

Edit: sorry, my bad. I thought you said "special milkshakes" and it sounded nefarious to me.

Date: August 03, 2020 07:29PM

What are the choices?

Will we have voices?
Or only vices?

I'll take an ice cream.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 09:19PM

"Posted by: bradley ( )

Re: What do you want from Heaven?...I came here so I could go to Mormon heaven and make lots of spirit babies with my myriad of spirit wives with whom I’ll rule and reign because I wear magical underwear and know special handshakes. What’s weird about that?

Polly: Laugh out loud.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 01:06AM

I would be tickled if there is nothing after this. Or it would be cool to find other beings in the universe to hang with. It does not matter. I have no expectations of an afterlife. I don’t need one.

Posted by: Baker Street ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 06:10AM

cheezus Wrote:
> I would be tickled if there is nothing after this.
> Or it would be cool to find other beings in the
> universe to hang with. It does not matter. I
> have no expectations of an afterlife. I don’t
> need one.

You might not. But think of all the people who live under threat of war and starvation, or torture or political repression. Not much hope for them, is there?

The thought that "this is it", is only really "tickling" when life goes well.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: August 05, 2020 11:19AM

You raise a good point on the hope that something better can await us beyond what we know in this life. Another thing that drives my hope for nothing is the Mormon idea of families being "Together Forever." Hanging with my kids would be great, but I dread the idea of eternity with my better half and there not being a sun hot enough to cook my eternal spirit.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 01:06PM

An acquaintance once posited, "What if each person's afterlife is different? What if each person gets exactly the best afterlife they can imagine?"

Posted by: Zelf the Apostate ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 01:08PM

In the afterlife, I want to review all my dreams. The fleeting, unrecordable, only had once dreams.

I wanna play with all the pets ive lost over the years.

Party with the family and friends ive lost over the years.... talk about our experiances with Cults and Religions....

"Now Zelph, there is the Celestial, Terrestrial, & Telestial kingdomes in heaven. Now what do you think about that?"

Zelph's response "There are Ghetto fences in heaven."

Zelph was then sent back to the Bishops office.

If there is a heaven, im going on a hunt for Joe Smith... Id like to dunk his head in heavens toilet for the rest of eternity....

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 01:44PM

Thicker hair.

Date: August 05, 2020 10:24AM

Ha! Number one priority if we've got to be stuck with this eternity thing. Let's face it!

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 11:40AM

She has thick hair and it has a little bit of natural curl in it. Not much, but just right. My younger sister and I have thin, fine hair. My hair won't hold curl longer than walking the dogs in the morning. I usually get perms, but I'd like it to grow a little, so I haven't had a perm for 1-1/2 years.

My little sister has it a lot worse. She gets hair extensions just to have hair the length of mine, which is only collar length. My older sister can grow it as long as she wants. No perms for her!

My brothers all have natural curl. My sister's boys have natural curl, but her daughter doesn't.

Isn't it weird? (Oh, my mother had some natural curl. My dad did not.)

BUT, both my parents had black hair. We all have brown hair.

How about my 20-year-old body?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 01:47PM

"Like, they really make a case that only Hitler goes to outer darkness."

So why did they do his temple work and seal him to his girlfriend?

Date: August 04, 2020 02:07PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> "Like, they really make a case that only Hitler
> goes to outer darkness."
>
> So why did they do his temple work and seal him to
> his girlfriend?

I meant metaphorically. Like, your choices, as a normal person, are Celestial, Terrestial, and Telestial. The firey Hell envisioned in regular Christian theology, or rather, it's equivalent, Outer Darkness, is reserved for the absolutely, irredeemably wicked.

Call me facetious. I was talking about the penalties of not living up to Celestial standards are merely "Not becoming God of your own planet and not being with your Celestial family for all eternity" but then we're told that those in the Celestial kingdom can still visit those in the other two lower kingdoms. Hence the "visiting rebellious cousins on the weekends" comment. Which is why I said they didn't really sell their absolute ideal of heaven(Celestial) very well, because the consequences for not doing so, as a normal, regular person who has no evil in their heart, is to inherit the kingdoms that are still pretty desirable, all things considered.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 05, 2020 12:05AM

F***all.

Date: August 05, 2020 07:05AM

No thanks. If I'm going to the other side, I'm not coming back. Especially if it turns out to be "nothing", then I REALLY won't be able to. Y'all are on your own.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 06, 2020 05:31PM

Time travel, so I can start all over.

Posted by: Atv ( )
Date: August 06, 2020 08:04PM

A better place than this. I sometimes wonder if we aren't in Purgatory already.

Date: August 06, 2020 10:09PM

A comfortable bed... I mean cloud

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 07, 2020 01:21AM

? what 'happens' in the CK is a GIANT HOLE in mormon theology...(mostly no ideas except temple type work, parenting spirits (right)...
IDK what other religions teach

Date: August 07, 2020 06:29PM

Yes! That's why I was "agnostic" Mormon for the past year. Because I didn't think the reward for being super Mormon was at all what I desired out of an afterlife. "What do you mean there's MORE work after this? ...uh, maybe I'll just settle for one of the earthlike kingdoms instead."

It's also why the eternities of deity training and propagating sounds like "Hell" to me. The whole meaning of life is just to birth and train up deities, forever. Why? Why do we have spirit children(in the CK) and then make earths to train them on? Why, to make MORE deities that can then have MORE spirit children and train them to be deities on other earths, of course! Kill me now, lol.

Posted by: librarian ( )
Date: August 07, 2020 03:40PM

Lapsed Catholic here wants nothing! I am sure that my wish will be fulfilled.At my age I am edging ever closer to that goal which is the absence of all.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 02:00AM

thegoodman Wrote:
> Something that was one of the strongest testimony
> things for me for the longest time, has now become
> a sore point as I explore my exmo status.
>
> The Pre-existence and the plan of salvation.

It's a MORmON plan of salvation, so it makes sense to MORmONS.

>
> So, the whole thing, us spirit children wanting to
> be like God and see him again, coming down here,
> the testing, then going back, getting our own
> planet and....doing it all over again. It use to
> make perfect sense to me in the Campbell monomyth
> sense of destiny neatly packaged. But it doesn't,
> does it? Like, it makes about as much sense as a
> heaven where you sit on a cloud and strum a harp
> for eternity.
Which is vastly preferable to being in any heaven with self infatuated MORmONS

>
> They don't sell it very well either, do they?
> Like, families can be together forever...except
> for the rebellious cousins or siblings. But then
> again, you can visit them on weekends if you want,
> so, it's still okay. Like, they really make a case
> that only Hitler goes to outer darkness.

Ummmm LDS Inc actually dead baptized Adolf AND (Further) did temple work for him ......at least 9 times by their own records .......

The very kind of religious stuff intended to get people into MORmON heaven

> Mostly my gripe is with being told all this time
> that I should want this thing because "that's why
> you came down here." I don't want my own planet
> and to be a god over others in this neverending
> cosmic deification training program.
Funny how THE (MORmON church talks /teaches / preached about that like it is a certainty that it's what everyone must want.

I am getting to the point where I wonder WHY anyone would choose to come to earth as a mortal IF it was really a matter of any choice. And supposed potential MORmON style rewards afterwards for doing well ?? as the compelling incentive??
A. MORmONS are mostly likely incorrect B. IF they are momentarily correct/honest, get braced for the impending screw job that will be coming along quickly.

>
> Anyway, what do you want from an afterlife? Was
> it ever enough for you, what they said? I'm
> finding it lacking now. Pardon my language but it
> sounds like Hell, lol.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 06:12AM

Date: August 09, 2020 07:33AM

I don't understand sometimes the antagonistic tone folks here take with me when we support the same position or world view. If I haven't made it clear that I am anti-Mormon while discussing the pain of losing my previous beliefs(due to the church's effort itself, I might add), then I state it now. I am not just an ex-Mormon. I believe the church is not of God and that it is a huge fraud. That it is a cult and I was manipulated for years. I am ANTI-Mormon.

I feel wounded by these things being torn from me but if given the choice of ignorance or discovering the truth the same way again, I'd reach for the red pill every time.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 09, 2020 11:32AM

I want to be with my immediate little family and have a surprising, great reunion with them.

It may sound like my priorities are mixed up a bit, but most of all, I want a reunion with my pets; running to each other and scooping them up in my arms.

I hope it is as beautiful as the Grand Teton National Park.

I think a talk radio host here said it best, when he said that we will all be very surprised to find out that heaven is nothing like the mormon church has said it will be.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.