Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 03, 2020 11:56PM

I wonder if she's been checking us out, or is already registered?

The person about whom I am wondering was a mormon, became an atheist, then returned to the fold for a nonce, but has now made a more calm and reasoned exit from the church.

She's a writer, and so she was obviously compelled to offer up some documentation regarding the process, and so in late June she divulged to her buddies at Religious News Services some insights into what it is to be a budding exmormon.

https://religionnews.com/2020/06/30/the-five-doctrines-of-ex-mormonism/

...I didn't know exmormons had doctrines, although why not? Perhaps I was saved from learning of these doctrines by my inability to take anything (other than Saucie) seriously? (Oh, yeah, and writing... and golf...)

For those wanting to avoid clicking the link, here are the five doctrines followed by sincere former members of la iglesia mormona (mamona! hahahaha!) I guess the rest of us are just poseurs?

1. You will be healed by trying every substance forbidden by the Word of Wisdom.

2. Your sex life will improve and you will feel better about your body.

3. Joseph Smith was a pedophile/Brigham Young was a racist.

4. You need to read the following white male authors:
Reza Aslan, Yuval Harari, Jonathan Haidt, Daniel Kahneman, Jared Diamond, Bart Ehrman, Richard Dawkins, etc.)

5. Science is the way to all truth.

Apparently I, and some of you whom I've grown to appreciate and respect, are not Real Deal Exmos! I'm appalled!

Oh, I think I get where she's coming from: The exmo community at large has not yet offered her the adulation she knows she deserves for having taken her daring leap into Real Life.

Or am I wrong and she nailed it? Are we a tiny minority and the majority of exmos do as she claims? Obviously my sampling comes from 11 years online, here and at postmormon(dot)org... From whence came her sample?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 12:04PM

My take on it was that she just wants all exmos to look bad. She hasn't a clue what makes any of us tick. Each of us has our own story, our own journey out.

The only one I'd agree with is about the 2 pedophiles.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 12:14PM

I agree. She's painting with quite the broad brush there. I also kind of like her last point.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 06:52PM

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 12:16PM

I read her tripe a few weeks ago and readily dismissed it as someone trying to desperately cling to magical thinking.

Not one exmo I know has ever said any of these things (except the blatant truth of #3).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 12:25PM

She's still knee deep in Mormon thinking. I don't think it's that unusual for people who are trying to find their way out, but she's got a long way to go.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 12:44PM

She is still defining atheism using religious terms and as such needs her packages wrapped up perfectly with the fancy paper and bow of her choosing. Never mind what's inside.

I take great issue with those who cannot see the individual components that make up a whole. Worse, atheists aren't even a whole as she maintains. They are all over the place with their godddamnnnn individuality, those atheists!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 01:29PM

I want to be the prophet of exmormonism.

Here are my articles of faith.

1. If you follow the Word of Wisdom you won't smoke, drink hard liquor, eat too much meat, or burn your esophagus badly. I don't smoke, drink hard liquor, eat too much meat, or drink my tea hot so you should too. I believe in following advice like The Word of Wisdom as far as it is understood correctly.

2. Through yoga and exercise my sex life improved and I feel better about your body. You will too. I claim the privilege of worshiping the human body according to the dictates of my own conscience, and allow all people the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

3. Joseph Smith was a sexual predator who used fake marriages to control people and Brigham Young was a racist. I believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law and not these prophets.

4. You need to read non-Mormon and non religious things to understand things about human life and how yours relates to others. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, I read after these things.

5. Science is a good way to understand complex things and analyze facts. I claim the privilege of following Science according to the dictates of our my conscience, and allow all people the same privilege, let them how, where, or what they may.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 02:32PM

> "...and I feel better about your body."

Oh, you!! I'm blushing!!!!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 04, 2020 08:30PM

Silly me.
I thought the only doctrine of exmoism was that we don't believe in mormonism.

Other than that, we can believe anythinhg.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.