Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 01:44PM

of the day.

My friend had to school her on the fact that All Hallow's Eve is a christian feast day. Sure, it had its genesis in pagan customs.

But if we were to ditch all the pagan trappings around supposedly christian holidays, we wouldn't really have much, would we?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 02:12PM

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 02:16PM

current religions/belief systems are merely recycled myths. Myths built upon myths built upon the bones of earlier myths, etc.

If that co-worker is repulsed by holidays that are pagan in origin, she'd better give up Christmas and Easter, too.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 02:33PM

helamonster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But if we were to ditch all the pagan trappings
> around supposedly christian holidays, we wouldn't
> really have much, would we?

You'd have Jehovah's Witnesses.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 02:35PM

I had a JW coworker awhile back, I asked her what her friends and family did over the period that the rest of us consider "the holidays".

She said, "Well, the family gets together and we share a meal and visit."

So, basically, they DO have christmas, except without the tree, presents, etc...

Posted by: geneticerror ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 04:41PM

I find it ironic that JWs go door to door on every other day but Holloween.

Posted by: Church Enemy ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 03:00PM

I remember bashing with the Jehovah's Witnesses over this matter. And as some of you know, their don't celebrate a lot of the holidays due to some pagan origin. And I use to reply with, "Guys, calm down. Those of us who celebrate Christmas, Easter, Halloween, don't do it for pagan reasons - we do it because as humans we tend to like to party. It is what it is. Now, if you guys really want to get technical in this matter, then you should invent your calendar because the name of the days (Saturday, Monday, etc.) were based on on Roman/Greek gods. For example, Saturday is a spinoff of the Roman god Saturn.

"Anyway, if we want to get technical, then you are are already "sinning" for using a pagan Roman calendar to keep track of time. And of course, you probably think that what I'm stating is pretty ridiculous; and I would have to agree with you because it is. Of course there's nothing wrong with using a calendar named and influenced by Roman mythology/paganism, and the reason so is because you don't use it to pay tribute to Saturn or Mars. And in my case, I don't celebrate Christmas or Halloween for pagan reasons, I do it to have fun and party. Nothing more and nothing less."

I rest my case.

Oh memories.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 04:46PM

SUN day (obvious)
MON day (Moon)
Tuesday (Tui's day)
Wednesday (Woden's)
Thursday (Thor's)
Friday (Frieda)
Saturday (Saturn)

So- Saturn's day is to get ready for the Sun's day.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.