Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 05, 2020 10:19AM

Reading an excerpt from a new book, "Caste: The Origins of our Discontent."

The subject comes up---why do people do things that are against their own best interests? This topic runs through a lot of the threads here. The author however is more interested in why people do this as a group and uses the oft ask question in political reviews," Why do the white working classes in America vote against their economic interests." (Only using this as an example and do not intend any politics here.)

So . . .

Why do white Mormon classes act against their own best interests, even raise their arm to the square and vote against their own best interests?

Most experts have rather nebulous reasons for this behavior or admit befuddlement. I have always leaned to self-imposed ignorance as explanation but that never seemed to be a true fit. There is still a pebble in that shoe.

So the Caste system . . . How much is this part of everyday life though most would laugh at that word's use in our "very modern free nation." Hahaha Ha. Caste! That's in India silly.

As explanation----Here I quote the author's statement using politics as an example to explain what she makes a good argument for as the cause:

" . . . was that the people voting this way were, in fact, voting their interests. Maintaining the caste system as it had always been was in their interest. And some were willing to accept short-term discomfort, forgo health insurance, risk contamination of the water and air, and even die to protect their long-term interest in the hierarchy as they had known it." (Notice no mention of party here)

So . .. .Delayed Gratification anyone? A useful tool in moderation but just plain gone too far in some arenas? Even Mormonism?

Some, are willing to shun family, to deprive family of financial benefits, to act out silly games in their temples, to ignore fact and reason, sacrifice in order to deny rights to others, accept their place as subservient women, stop parents from seeing their children or grandchildren all in order to maintain their imagined position of being the highest Caste of all. And any discomfort that must be endured in this life is just seen as delayed gratification until they rise as the kings and queens on resurrection day. The Exalted Caste.

Perhaps they will allow us to be their servants in the CK. My mother says I have to go cuz I am sealed to her. Can't even compute that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 05, 2020 10:58AM

We women will do anything to hang on to our sons.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 05, 2020 01:36PM

THE BIG THING that has impacted my life in huge ways for how many years now. September 1, 1984. How many years now? I'm too tired to figure it out.

When my future husband called me at work to ask me to marry him (yes, it was really romantic), I was so stressed out about it that I filed these property cards all day as there were thousands rather than do anything else as I didn't have to think nearly as hard. My mind was telling me to RUN, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Somehow we've come to a nice place in our own relationship, but our son has been the one who took the biggest hit. I had told him that if we had kids he could never leave. We had to think of the kids. Well, he is here for our son, but SOMETIMES.

It has been a journey that could have been avoided. There are days I regret it and other days I see why it was something shall I say I needed to do. He needed us. He needs us still. We are all he has. So in the end, was it worth it?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 05, 2020 01:43PM

Ahhhhh. Oprah's pick.

All I can say is that humans are disappointing.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 05, 2020 01:45PM

That pretty much sums it up. Mostly. Love the exceptions that pop up here and there sometimes though.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: August 05, 2020 07:41PM

All of this discussion coincides with the urge some folks have to gamble in spite of the odds. Lose lose and lose again, but one keeps on trying. It's all about the hope for better things in the future.

What I have personally studied and mentally noted is that some folks just want to believe in something grander than reality like hitting the lottery or returning to heaven. Its a survival instinct. Wishful thinking.

For me, I can't ignore the facts and I like to stack the odds in my favor. It empowers me and makes me feel like I am in the drivers seat. Control. Pure and simple.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 06, 2020 11:21AM

The church really is a Caste System.
I'm glad to be an "Untouchable"; I never like the hug and "air kisses" baloney anyway. :D

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: August 06, 2020 12:14PM

If the "good mormons" are the ones at the top tier of heaven, I will VERY MUCH enjoy my junior jacuzzi suite in the telestial kingdom, thankyouverymuch!

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: August 06, 2020 09:39PM

Thank you for your mentioning this book. I am learning so much.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.