Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 05:21PM

Debbie Palmer, plural wife of Ray Blackmore in Bountiful, BC, passed away in January 2020, age 64. I had met her at an event years ago screening a film about Mormon fundamentalist polygamy ("Leaving Bountiful"). We became friends and kept in touch for a while. I was interested in her activism and helped her briefly with editing some of her work. Through Debbie I met other ex-polygamous wives and learned a lot about the life they led as plural wives, isolated in rural BC, Canada.

She was the mother of eight children and the oldest of forty-seven brothers and sisters.

Included in her advocacy work, Debbie met internationally with human rights advocates on the topic of polygamy.

Debbie detailed her early life in her book "Keep Sweet - Children of Polygamy".

It starts: "My father had six wives and I have forty-seven brothers and sisters. My oldest daughter is my aunt and I am her grandmother. When I was assigned to marry my first husband, I became my own step-grandmother since my father was already married to two daughters of my new husband. According to the eternal laws of the polygamous group I grew up with, I will be a step-grandmother to many of my own brothers and sisters "for time and all eternity".

"Several of my stepsons were assigned to marry my sisters, so I also became a sister-in-law to my own stepchildren. After my mother's father was assigned to marry one of my second husband's daughters as a second wife, I became my own great-grandmother. This stepdaughter became my step-grandmother and I her step-mother, so when I gave birth to two sons with her father, my own sons became my great-uncles and I was their great-great-grandmother.

"My ancestors were fierce and uncompromising when it came to religion. Once converted and baptized into the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, they became more entrenched in their beliefs with every hardship and persecution brought on by the "Gentiles", a term which is all-inclusive for people who are non-members. Many members of my family and extended family, including the three men I was assigned to by the prophet of our particular group of Mormon Fundamentalists, were drawn by the teachings of Joseph Smith and plural marriage to one place - the Creston Valley in British Columbia, Canada.

"Grandpa Romney, Michael Merrick, and Kelvin Whitmer had been having cottage meetings..."

When I met Debbie and her friends, sisters, fellow plural wives, it was fascinating for me to observe the skill many of the women had in accurately reciting all the complicated family genealogy.

I am sad to have come across Debbie's obituary when I looked her up this morning.

Daphne Bramham, Reporter, Vancouver Sun, writes, in part:

"One of Bountiful's first child brides, Debbie Palmer was the first mother to flee the fundamentalist Mormon community with all her children and the first to shine a spotlight on it.

"If it weren’t for Debbie Palmer, Canadians might not know anything about the polygamous community of Bountiful in southeastern British Columbia.

"She was the first to lift the veil of secrecy that had protected the community from outsiders in the early 1990s.

"By demanding criminal charges against the leaders for their abuse of women and children, she became a thorn in the sides of a succession of provincial attorneys-general, police and other politicians.

"But she was shunned and shamed by family and childhood friends. Palmer’s activism took a huge toll. She died last weekend [January 2020] at the age of 64.

"Palmer was the oldest in a family of 47 children. When she was only six, her mother died, leaving Debbie and her two siblings to be raised by their father’s other five wives, who had multiple children of their own.

"At 15, Palmer was one of Bountiful’s first child brides. In a religious ceremony, she became the sixth wife of the community’s leader, Ray Blackmore. He was 40 years older than her. Palmer was a widow by 18.

"The community’s elders – all men — placed her in another plural marriage to an man who was so abusive that she was released and later married Marvin Palmer with whom she had five children.

"But life in Bountiful finally became intolerable and, in 1988, the mother of eight fled becoming one of the first women in either Canada or the United States to escape without leaving any of her children behind.

"[Debbie's] Life in Bountiful report revealed a pattern of forced marriages, rigid demands of obedience, and a “distinct culture … that limits individual rights to the point of virtually eliminating them.”

"It questioned whether children raised there could ever be capable of exercising free choice, including giving informed consent to sex and marriage.

"Over the years, Palmer became friends with Jon Krakauer, whose 2003 book, Under the Banner of Heaven, focused international attention on the fundamentalist Mormons.

"Yet without her pioneering efforts, two former fundamentalist Mormon bishops — her stepbrother James Oler, and Winston Blackmore, her brother-in-law and stepson — might never have been convicted of polygamy, and Oler and Brandon Blackmore (another of Palmer’s stepsons) and his wife, Gail Blackmore, might never have been jailed for illegally taking their under-aged daughters to the United States for coerced marriages.

"The admonition to women and girls to Keep Sweet might have remained, spelled out in white stone on the mountainside above the government-funded school.

"To anyone exposed to her unrelenting anger and what was, at the time, her seemingly incredible tales of abuse, Palmer could be exhausting and, at times, exasperating. She needed to be all of that and more in order to be heard.

"And, in the end, Palmer proved Margaret Mead’s contention that it is the few caring people who change the world. Deborah Ann Oler Palmer was one of those who changed hers."

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/daphne-bramham-outspoken-activist-against-polygamy-dies

-----

Debbie's obituary states in part:

"This amazing woman is a published author of “Keep Sweet: Children of Polygamy” and other works. Her advocacy work and life was memorialized in a documentary called “Leaving Bountiful”; after which, she was a consultant in the film “In God’s Country”. After finishing her Diploma in Correctional Studies at SIAST, Prince Albert, Deborah was then employed at Pinegrove Correctional Centre as a Corrections Officer for many years until her passing. However, her real passion in life was her work in being a lifelong advocate and defender for women and children who did not know the power of their own voice, strength and freedoms."

https://grays.ca/tribute/details/2160/Deborah-Palmer/obituary.html

-----

I learned more from Debbie about life within Mormon polygamy than I really wanted to know, including accounts of her experiences of abuse at an early age by boys within the commune. I would have wished for her many more years free of fundamentalist Mormonism in which to enjoy her family and a retirement she richly deserved. A quiet, soft-spoken woman, nevertheless she showed enormous courage in escaping from Bountiful, engaging in advocacy on behalf of countless women and children, and making a lot of noise in public on various committees, in many hearings and being instrumental in bringing a spotlight onto the abuses going on in Bountiful, BC, the outrage of cross-border trafficking in young girls (to be "married" to much older men without their free consent) and the realities of Mormon polygamy.

Debbie was easy to love. She deserved better than the treatment she received within the confines of Bountiful, at the hands of the abusive male Mormon fundamentalists. I admire her courage in exposing the abuse and pain of her early years. It's good to know she enjoyed her life and family in the outside world. I just wish it could have been for longer. I wish she had been able to retire early and enjoy a long period of peace and prosperity. I trust she is resting in peace now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2020 05:24PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 07:15PM

First and foremost, I'm sorry for your personal loss, and I'm sorry for the loss to the ex-Mormon community of this person who was determined to bring publicity to how fundamentalist Mormon (not to mention original Mormon) polygamy actually worked. While there are still voices crying in the wilderness about the subject (poster Cheryl for one), it is still sad to see a survivor of this tragic ode to male chauvinism be permanently silenced at such a young age.

All of that said, her descriptions of the relationships between her and the other family members reminded of this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntfXTAJHd64

which, though done tongue-in-cheek, does point to the stupidity and wrong-headedness of always marrying in one's own family. May Ms. Palmer rest in peace.

Date: August 09, 2020 02:33PM

Hi blindguy. Yes, I think of that song too when I read Debbie's intro to her book about her life. Never would I be able to keep all those tangled relationships straight. I was amazed to hear many of the former Bountiful wives do the same as Debbie - they sure know their family ties.

Thanks for the link to an Irish singer. That was fun to listen to and it also diverted me off to other Irish music which I always enjoy. I have tapes (still - I know - so ancient) of silly Irish songs and jokes, corny as you can get, but they always make me laugh. You reminded me to get them out and listen again. A good laugh is always a treat.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 09:07PM

What a life well lived! Debbie was very courageous in trying to eradicate the scourge of polygamy. I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: August 08, 2020 09:25PM

I’ve long admired Debbie Palmer, and was very sad when I learned she had died. She did a great deal to expose to Canadians the abuses of Mormon polygamy and was a tremendous help to others who left the flds and the community of Bountiful.

Thanks for posting this Nightingale.

Date: August 09, 2020 02:36PM

Thanks summer and looking in.

Yes, I was sad too. She left way too young. I would have loved to know she had many retirement years to enjoy her family outside the cult. She deserved a break, a rest, and some great family time.

But she made great use of the years she got and achieved much. Her work helped countless others. She was a good one.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson Benson ( )
Date: August 10, 2020 12:52PM

I’m very sorry for your loss and offer sincere condolences.

Thank you so much for sharing this and honouring her in both her life and her passing.

Date: August 10, 2020 02:59PM

Thank you all for the kind responses.

To clarify, Debbie and I were not lifelong or close friends but friends in passing, after I had seen the film about her life in Bountiful and afterwards, shown at the Jewish Community Centre years ago, and had met some of the other former "sister wives". Debbie was generous in sharing her story. She asked me for some minor editing help with a second book she was proposing and so we corresponded for a while. I don't think that project was completed. She was very busy with her day job (corrections facility), her family and her advocacy work and all the surrounding publicity. We spoke of creating an underground railway of sorts to try to help other women get out. That didn't come to pass, not involving me anyway. I still feel for the women and children trapped in such an appalling system, oppressed by malignant religious beliefs.

Debbie touched my heart with her warm personality and obvious concern for others. She was well-spoken and brave in frequently interacting with media to publicize the abuses within the polygamous community that she had been born into. Her courage was stunning. She left us too young.

Posted by: Daughter ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 09:41PM

Hi, I am one of Debbie's daughters. I am writing a paper about my mother in my Master's class about the intersectionalities of oppression. Since my mother's passing, we have been trying to find the pieces of her second book. I would greatly appreciate if you would message me privately about this.

Thank you!

Date: July 17, 2023 11:29PM

Daughter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi, I am one of Debbie's daughters. I am writing a
> paper about my mother in my Master's class about
> the intersectionalities of oppression. Since my
> mother's passing, we have been trying to find the
> pieces of her second book. I would greatly
> appreciate if you would message me privately about
> this.
>
> Thank you!

Daughter: I go by the name Nightingale here - I wrote the opening post on this thread.

Please let me know how I can contact you and you can let me know what you are looking for. Don't write any personal information on this public board. I would say to contact Admin here and we can go through them privately but I'm not sure how to do that either. Let me think about it and I'll post again.

I do have some emails from your mom that I have kept. I don't think I have any manuscripts or papers of hers.

Let's get in touch - we'll figure it out.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 02:10AM

Well, my mail address is very public and I am happy to pass mail. I am pretty sure Nightingale will vouch for me Daughter. Mail me and I will help you exchange addresses. ExMoLight@gmail.com Retired Admin

Date: July 29, 2023 06:05PM

Susan I/S Wrote:
> Well, my mail address is very public and I am
> happy to pass mail. I am pretty sure Nightingale
> will vouch for me Daughter. Mail me and I will
> help you exchange addresses. ExMoLight@gmail.com
> Retired Admin

Topping for Debbie's daughter in case she's lost track of the thread.

I'd be so happy to connect with you and see if I can help. If you email Retired Admin at the address she's posted above she will kindly pass on your email address to me and I will respond.

Date: March 10, 2024 04:16PM

'Daughter': Please see my latest reply to you below. Thank you.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 11:27PM

Nightingale, my sincere condolences on the passing of your friend. The perceived complacence (at least to me) of the Canadian justice system regarding the Bountiful mess has bothered me for a long time.

Date: July 17, 2023 11:44PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
> Nightingale, my sincere condolences on the passing
> of your friend. The perceived complacence (at
> least to me) of the Canadian justice system
> regarding the Bountiful mess has bothered me for a
> long time.

Thanks, LR. This happened over three years ago but yeah, it still bites. Debbie really got into my heart.

I am appalled, still, about the B.C. and Canadian government's inaction on a major issue of extreme abuse. I can't forget that smirking leer of Winston Blackmore's as he returned home from his trial for "practising polygamy" with a sentence of six months' house arrest, at home with his 27 wives and over 150 children.

They didn't listen to Bountiful's female advocates for the women and children who live there and are not at liberty to leave.

Unfortunately, as usual, we'll have to wait for the next tragedy before there's any chance of a meaningful change.

At the very least, people should have the freedom to choose their own path.

Date: March 10, 2024 04:15PM

I'm topping this thread hoping that Debbie's daughter will see it. 'Daughter', you say you are looking for some of her writing, hopefully.

I believe I may be able to help you.

As I said above, please contact the poster Susan I/S (as she states, her email is public) and she can put us together. You don't have to give any personal information on this board. She is trustworthy (and she was part of admin here for many years and is personally known to the site's owners).

I/we would love to help you in your quest.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.