Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 11, 2020 12:25PM

There are so many instances in mormon history where ghawd changes his mind! Why? Doesn't being an omnipotently omniscient make you think such problems should be avoided?

One of the biggest changes is so stark because the very name of the revelation, The Everlasting Covenant, hints at it never ending. But end it did when ghawd, according to Pres. Taylor, showed to him the financial ruin awaiting the church if the church continued to practice polygamy. So taking that as a hint, John announced that the Everlasting Covenant was officially kaput.

Then there's the Word of Wisdom, the 'suggestion' revealed to JoJu that follow it or not, your status in the church was exactly the same. But then rumor has it that BY realized that Deseret was taking it in the shorts, monetarily, because gold and silver were flowing to the east coast to pay for coffee, tea and tobacco, none which could be produced in Deseret. So according to BY, ghawd told him that the WoW was now a commandment! Balance of Payments solved!

In 1978, following a few years of criticism and with the specter of financial reversals, ghawd is said to have told Spencer W. Kimball that despite what mormonism had been preaching, Blacks could now hold the priesthood. Zion National Bank and the BYU athletic program rejoiced!

In 1989 ghawd inspired the leadership of his very own church to create and send out a survey regarding the temple experience. The results of the survey, one must conclude, caused ghawd to change the temple rites so that the majority of the mormons who responded to the survey would be more 'comfortable' when they went to the temples. Sure, ghawd knew what the results would be, so taking the time to do the survey was ..., was ... Hmm, heck if I know!

From the date the first missionaries went into the field up until circa 1978, mormon missions had a certain "they should some time off..." feel to them. It became customized into the notion of Diversion Day. I can't imagine that any serving missionary was sad about observing Diversion Day. But some time around 1978, ghawd decided that "diversion" was a bad thing for a missionary and it changed into P-Day. Maybe you could get in an hour of b-ball at the ward, but a day off from religion? No way! Meaning that many of us serving prior to 1978 were cheated out of the additional blessings of not have a day off!

Ezra Taft Benson sang a bit of "I am a mormon boy" in General Conference. Monson was proud to be a mormon. And now we have Russell Milhaus Nelson telling the saints that saying or writing 'mormon' makes Jesus cry. Bit of a change, eh, what?

I'll end my list with the infamous fairly recent "kids of gays can't be baptized until they are 18 and they must renounce their gay parents!" debacle. It seems mormon ghawd has moved a bit beyond simply changing his mind, to becoming unhinged in his mind.

Based on review of this and like data, it seems one would not be out of line in suggesting that

1. mormon ghawd keeps his eye on the bank balance
2. mormon ghawd wants to be thought of as one of the cool kids
3. mormon ghawd isn't mentally stable
4. mormon ghawd seems to be the evolving image of his creators and interpreters.

What are we to conclude about mormonism?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 11, 2020 12:34PM

Mormonism is Junior High for adults. Mormon God has his own spot in the cafeteria. All the kids brown nose to sit at his table. That would be okay except that he’s kind of a douche.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2020 01:14PM by bradley.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 11, 2020 12:34PM

5. mormon gawd is not pleased with EOD having figured out that being the same yesterday today and tomorrow means mormon gawd has always been and will always be a gawd who can't make up his mind about anything at all. And that is what unchanging really means.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 11, 2020 12:48PM

In the mid-70s, a FP SM letter mormon gawd told the 'Saints' that de-caf coffee was OK...

Yes, it really happened!!

let's make a song about 'Down the Memory Hole We Go'!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 12, 2020 11:50AM

Actually, that was in the 60s. I remember the letter being read in sacrament meeting. I was only 7 or 8 years old at the time, and the reason I took notice was that my mom drank decaf coffee (Sanka) at the time.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 12, 2020 02:49AM

I was always shocked by each of them. I was hurt by the one about kids of gays. They told me to get married to someone gay and then they told me my kids were second class citizens to them. Well, I've always been.

But that bit about the temple. That really threw me that they actually put out a survey and changed the things that bothered people. Never got to not have the "5" points of fellowship or see the new movie as I was doing sealings as someone didn't show up. It really was shocking when they didn't pull my husband aside to do them with me. Anyway, I've talked about it many times before. But my husband talked me into going to the temple to see the changes hoping that I'd consider going again as I had stopped within a year after we married. The joke was on him. I never went back. But I thought we were taught or maybe I just thought that the temple ordinances could never be changed. And yet they continue to change. Just like everything else.

The only thing good that came from COVID is my daughter not going to church or to the temple.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 12, 2020 03:04AM

TL;DR.

Just read D&D's summary.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 12, 2020 04:31AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> In 1989 ghawd inspired the leadership of his very
> own church to create and send out a survey
> regarding the temple experience. The results of
> the survey, one must conclude, caused ghawd to
> change the temple rites so that the majority of
> the mormons who responded to the survey would be
> more 'comfortable' when they went to the temples.
> Sure, ghawd knew what the results would be, so
> taking the time to do the survey was ..., was ...
> Hmm, heck if I know!

that was the Lafferty Brothers contribution to the MORmON religion, after taking Joseph SMith and Joe's MORmON religion so seriously that they killed their SIL for denying the divinity of polygamy, LDS Inc PR felt the need to tone down the murderous aspects of the MORmON temple ceremony. LDS Inc certainly could not rely on revelation .....just as Ron and Dan Lafferty had.....so LDS Inc used a customer survey. what a nice touch !!!

Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: August 12, 2020 06:03AM

Ghawd sure knew what He was doing when He authorized Henry D Moyle to be counselor to Prez McKay 58 - 63.

Read all about it
http://www.salamandersociety.com/foyer/bogusbaptisms/
I vaguely remember writing that 2 decades ago.

nearly bankrupted church
baseball baptisms
beach party baptisms
slave labor (2 year building missions for young boys)
outrageous abuse (missionaries told to work til midnight and get no more than 5 hrs sleep each night)
mass excommunications 100,000+
Missionary discussion condensed to 3 minutes
Fake baptisms of fictitious kids and also 7 yr olds

Other general authorities literally demanded that Moyle be stripped of responsibilities in 1963. (and then Ghawd called him home to do work on the other side)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2020 06:04AM by mrx.

Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: August 12, 2020 06:15AM

President Trump would be flabbergasted . . .

In early 1980s San Diego briefly became the #1 LDS baptizing mission in the world.

LDS Missionaries discovered where illegal aliens crossed the border and they went out to round them up in busses.

Then off to LDS chapels for a couple hours of instruction. They promised that they could help them evade immigration officers if they would get baptized right then and there.

Ghawd was so proud of the dedication and ingenuity of the missionaries down by the border.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 12, 2020 10:08AM

Another one occurred to me:

Everyone come to Zion! Zion needs you! We'll pay your way and then you pay it forward! Hurry! Hurry!

...but then...

Everyone stay where you are! Zion is EVERYWHERE the Saints are! There's no need to uproot yourselves; shelter in place!

Mormon ghawd is not a leader, he's a follower. Ghawd is as flexible as those young contortionist females Ed Sullivan used to have on his show to keep my eyes glued to the screen in hopes I'd watch the next commercial.

A good argument could be made that mormon ghawd doesn't 'act' so much as he 'reacts'. Mormon ghawd lurches from one cusp to the next, using a numbers game to try to figure out what to say and do.

Can you think of an announced decision by mormon ghawd in the last 20 years that wasn't really just a public relations move? An attempt to get ahead of potential trouble?

Here's a revelation from me: Covid-19 is ghawd's necessary step to hold down the monetary waste of the mormon GAerontocracy's mania for building new temples. And mormon ghawd is probably trying to figure out a way to stop the GAerontocracy from throwing away all the good money on refurbishing run-down temples.

I think mormonism's major problem is that it was never expected, much less designed, to last more than a few money-grubbing years. It's become a real Rube Goldberg of a religion, as most do with the passage of time and the moral and mental evolutions created by knowledge and increasing leisure time.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 12, 2020 10:27AM

Exactly. The Mormon church was just Joseph Smith's retirement plan.

If he thought is would go on, and on, even he wasn't stupid enough to claim the second coming was in the 1890's like for sure. He HAD to be thinking the jig was up and it was all over when he dove out that window.

Nice post for lurkers and newbies, EOD.

And I love anybody who used to watch Ed Sullivan.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 12, 2020 11:42AM

When Smith & company settled on 'latter-day' as part of the church name, didn't that imply that something big was imminent? Here we are 190 years later and that big event still hasn't occurred. Well maybe any day now if those heavenly beings decide to make their move.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.