Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: August 21, 2020 08:34PM

...anywhere on this chart anymore???

https://i.redd.it/57nadaagl3q41.png (Scale of Belief Chart)

Enquiring minds wanna know!!!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kantgomo ( )
Date: August 21, 2020 08:55PM

Never been a member, but I'd fall under gnostic theism with a capital "G," so I guess that would make me off the chart maybe as theist. IDK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2020 08:56PM by kantgomo.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 21, 2020 09:02PM

The chart looks like something a theist would concoct. A total strawman.

Date: August 21, 2020 11:34PM

Totally understood Dave...I realize you are a non-Theist.

Totally understood that you are an Atheist who strongly believes that there is absolutely no possibility of a God(s).

Got it!

Or so it seems to me...

Date: August 22, 2020 12:29AM

A lack of a belief does not constitute a belief.

Posted by: glassrose ( )
Date: August 29, 2020 11:15PM

^ This.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 12:39AM

I think Dave's point is that the way those options are framed presupposes a believer's point of view. There should, for example, be categories like "I don't know and I don't care," and "the evidence militates against the existence of God but I don't know everything so I'm agnostic."

With a survey like that, you can intentionally or unintentionally skew the results through the options you present. I think, perhaps like Dave, that the creator of that list had such a prejudice.

Date: August 23, 2020 09:24PM

Agreed...& my sincerest apologies to all...truly didn't mean to pigeon-hole anyone with that chart.

I'm just confused sometimes as I'm actually excited to find myself gravitating towards a full on Atheism from my agnosticism and/or vacillating between the two.

I used this chart recently with an extended TBM family member who I thought was straddling the Mormonism fence more than he actually was. I felt it would give him a good idea of where I was headed in embracing my Agnosticism and Atheism as it appeared simple for people to understand especially those who do believe.

Boy was I wrong...he came back at me and asked me if I was now a Communist too!!!

Oh well...learned that lesson the hard way!

And I agree whole-heartedly with Lot's Wife that...
"there should, for example, be categories like "I don't know and I don't care," but what then is the label for that person exactly?

Perhaps it is best explained as Done & Done has suggested...
[That category is significant and usually just called non-religious or no denomination which is code for "not even interested."]

I guess my confusion arises when someone says they're an "Atheist" as to me it seems to imply they have actively taken a stance to NOT believe in a deity or supernatural figure???

Shouldn't the nom de plume for someone claiming to be Atheist and yet doesn't ascribe to any "god" belief or couldn't care less either way be more descriptive in using the additive term "Non-Religious" or "Humanist" or "Secularist"?

Oh well...still figuring things out on my end...but what I have learned for sure in the inimitable words of one of my favorite contrarians and authors is that indeed "Religion poisons everything" !!!

Many thanks for your herculean patience with me & my shortcomings thus far!

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 09:54AM

I must trot our my favorite ,if tired, old phrase here.

Atheism is a belief like "OFF" is a channel on your TV.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 12:34AM

I will possibly believe in a ghawd when one helps men to stop doing most of their thinking with their small heads.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 12:40AM

Again, "small." What's up with you today, EOD?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 12:44AM

What if Joseph was onto something? The glory of God like a fire is burning. Did they have penicillin back then?

Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 07:03AM

*spit take*

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 10:59AM

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: August 23, 2020 01:30AM

Why does god make believing in him so confusing? With all the different churches that say they are the only one that is right it gets very confusing.

With all the technology today he could just break into every TV and internet feed at the same time around the world and proclaim his existence and tell us what he really wants us to do. Then he could go back on that extended vacation he's been on for so long.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 08:12AM

I can't believe in gods that don't believe in me...

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 09:51AM

Notice how Atheists are burnt orange and Theists are true blue?
Agnostics are the color of custard.

This is no accident. Color talks. Color is powerful.

I don't doubt Dave is right when he says it looks like something a theist would concoct. Also because I don't see an atheist or agnostic interested enough to bother with such a thing.

And the "I don't care" category should be there as LW says. That category is significant and usually just called non-religious or no denomination which is code for "not even interested."

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: August 22, 2020 10:50AM

Following on this being made up by a theist, I would also say it was made by a monotheist. See how it starts out using the term "gods", then as it moves down to theist, it uses the term "god". What about people who believe in multiple gods? And, what type of god, exactly? Judeo-Christian omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent? or like the rest of the religions who do not believe in those attributes for their gods?

Defintely made up by someone who believes at least in the Old Testament god, whether Christian, Jewish or Muslim.

Date: August 22, 2020 06:32PM

All gods are equally real.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 23, 2020 03:09AM

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: August 30, 2020 10:48PM

Mormonism is so backward that anything they say isn't true is true and anything they say is true, isn't.

I left the Mormon church so long ago I forgot what it was all about.

Much ado about nothing.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 02, 2020 02:11AM

Nope!

I am a step ahead of the game. And...

I'm off |{°}|
The charts-√-

I'm A Listed
And Black Listed
And I'm listing
Possibly sinking

And rising

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.