Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 24, 2020 06:47PM

How dare that boy offend his father by "ruining" the father's reputation as a man of ghawd...

Free Agency? What's that?

You want some free agency? C'mere, I'll give you some free agency; I'll give you so much free agency you won't be able to breathe!!! Why you little...!!!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: August 24, 2020 07:32PM

I wonder if that young man posted here.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 24, 2020 07:36PM

I would assume that these things happen more than we know.

Posted by: Adam thd warrior ( )
Date: September 10, 2020 04:28PM

Yep. Very hard to go to the police and feel that they will even believe you. Its Gawds perfect religion and no abuse could ever happen in there(sarcasm))))).

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: August 24, 2020 07:36PM

I'm pretty sure my father would have liked to choke me out for coming home early from my mission. But I was bigger and probably would have kicked his ass. So instead, he screamed at me at the top of his lungs and eventually told me that he felt the family would be "better off" if I were to leave.

Hopefully this kid has a place to go because it doesn't sound like dad wants him around much longer.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 24, 2020 11:22PM

My neighbor told his son he preferred his son die rather than come home early.

When his son came home, on time with an honorable release, he was hospitalized a week later with a tumor.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 24, 2020 08:00PM

Many domestic violence victims nowadays are being counseled that if someone will cut off your air, they are the ones who WILL kill you.

... if you hang around long enough.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 24, 2020 08:07PM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Many domestic violence victims nowadays are being
> counseled that if someone will cut off your air,
> they are the ones who WILL kill you.
>
> ... if you hang around long enough.

Not just nowadays, it goes back at least a ways.

This (attempted strangulation) happened to me when I was in my early twenties, and this is what the police officers who arrived (the next door neighbor made the call) told me:

If someone cuts off your ability to breathe (or attempts to do this), consider that you are, at minimum, in the first stage of being murdered.

For real.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2020 08:33PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: August 25, 2020 02:48PM

My murder attempt (ex-husband tried to kill me) involved a gun, but my nightmares were about being strangled. That has got to be the worst.

The domestic abuse hotline said strangling and guns were the red flags for abuse turning to murder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2020 02:50PM by Dorothy.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 24, 2020 08:09PM

Wow. What a f@#$#$ monster.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 24, 2020 08:14PM

this calls for some serious PH counseling, Don't we think???

but, if the dad is a (otherwise) 'nice guy', we'll let him off with a PH blessing!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 24, 2020 11:25PM

Remember. Church policy requires the abused victim consult with the bishop about his role in the abuse to see if he needs to repent.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 24, 2020 09:13PM

There is beauty all around, when there's love at home....

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 10:41PM

> There is UGLY all around, when there's 'church' at home....
>

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 11:01PM

ufotofu Wrote:
> > There is UGLY all around, when there's 'church'
> at home....
> >

Got that right.

Fastest way to experience family disharmony and discord?

Have Family Home Evening

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 03:30PM

We called it Family Fight Night.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: August 24, 2020 09:24PM

LDS Inc. uber alles!

Another example of how the Mormon church is crazy making and divides families instead of uniting them.

I hope the father will realize that loyalty to his family is more important than loyalty to LDS Inc.

Heil Nelson!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 24, 2020 10:43PM

Yet another lost boy.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 25, 2020 10:24AM

Oh yes as we go gleefully charging back to the glorious day of the Spanish Inquisition!!!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 25, 2020 11:17AM

the beatings will continue until morale improves...

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: September 03, 2020 04:48PM

The beatings will continue to improve ‘morality’.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 25, 2020 12:33PM

"I promised to buy you a car if you 'return with honor'. Didn't that mean anything to you?"

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 25, 2020 01:01PM

Yet another reason why I don’t like Mormonism.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: August 25, 2020 02:24PM

This is the direct result of a culture that both prioritizes the dominion of fathers over their families and ties salvation to obedience.

My own father got in a heated argument with me when I was unsure of whether I should go on a mission. The afternoon I was to be set apart by the stake president, three days before flying to Provo, I told him I didn't want to go and he started arguing with me. At first it was the typical Mormon conniving--"You believe in the prophet, and he's the one who called you. You can't deny that without denying God!"--then it escalated into shouting and yelling.

Sitting on my bed, listening to this torrent of noise, I quietly said, "He that hath the spirit of contention is not of me...."

At that my father exploded, "Well, you can just go to hell then!" and stormed out of the house.

I acquiesced, met with the stake president, and entered the MTC just to get away from him. I only lasted seven weeks.

Obey or go to hell.

Date: August 25, 2020 02:33PM

As I approached my 19th birthday dad asked me if I wanted to go on a mission. I said no. The question never came up again. It's all about respect and real parental love. Both of which the asshole father here is sadly lacking.

Posted by: anon 4 this ( )
Date: August 25, 2020 04:00PM

My mom was abusive to my siblings. She slapped and pulled them by the hair to get into the car on Sundays.

After a youth activity, the mia maids advisor pulled over when her teenage daughter was acting surly. She dragged her out of the car and smacked her face. The teen started bleeding from her mouth (braces). And that was that

Date: August 28, 2020 11:23PM

I have a cousin in SLC who's father got violent when they resisted going to church. Fucking pissed me off when I heard that as I know his own dad was not like that. His mom was a bitch but not overly righteous either.

Date: August 25, 2020 03:55PM

I think the young man was on his way to the MTC and resorted to calling his grandpa to rescue him. Sadly, I think he decided that dad was right and it became another faith promoting story.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: August 28, 2020 11:57AM

Funny. When I told my TBM dad that I wanted to go on a mission, he told me "Well, you won't see a red cent from me." And, I didn't. Went anyway.

Date: August 28, 2020 12:35PM

"You're losing sleep over a kid who refused to comply with his dad's authority, and prob'ly has a lengthy record of being imperfect? A kid who was harassing his family by leaving the toilet seat up, resisted doing his homework, brandished an attitude, resisted his father's legitimate use of lethal force and then reached into his mind to try to figure out, 'what the hell!'? All while putting the lives of his very own future children at risk? Are you seriously losing sleep over this?

"Or perhaps you choose to believe that religious nuts are just running around choking random innocent 18-year-olds willy-nilly in their house?"

--Saint Floyd the Martyr

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 28, 2020 02:57PM

This is brilliant.

Posted by: carebear ( )
Date: August 28, 2020 04:49PM

I am an RM...as of many decades ago.

Perhaps 10 years after i was back, I had a family in my home teaching route that had a son approaching 19. Seemed normal, not really even that active.

I remember one visit where the parents were discussing how the son wanted to serve a mission. He was taking extra jobs to beef up the finances. I related to them that I understood and wished them the best.

A short time later however the parents came home one night to find their son in his room with a mattress soaked with blood and a revolver in his hand.

The family was immediately pulled off my list and I was told to not contact them for a 'while'. I had only heard about the incident second hand.

One of my other callings a year or so after that, was to track down 'lost' members (ward clerk). I remember seeing the family's name in the 'cannot locate' list and called the number.

The mother answered the phone, and when hearing who I was, starting sobbing, and then in resolved anger said " you people are to never call here again!", and hung up.

I remember having the strong impression from that response that they had had no church fellowship/consolation from that event to the time I called.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 28, 2020 08:00PM

Get ready to try cause I ain't going!

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: August 28, 2020 10:39PM

The title is misleading I thought this was a personal letter from Joseph Smith to Orson Hyde.

Date: August 28, 2020 11:03PM

...I thought it was a young man talking to his penis!

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 29, 2020 03:46AM

elderolddog Wrote:
> ...I thought it was a young man talking to his
> penis!

Oh my GOD! :D

Date: August 31, 2020 02:37AM

I didn't know they listened

Date: September 07, 2020 05:41PM

At best, you might get, "I guess I shouldn't have, but at the time..."

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 02:16PM

the proper term would be "choke" not "strangle.

Date: September 15, 2020 03:51PM

There's 'choke the chicken', so maybe there could be 'strangle the dangle'?

Date: August 31, 2020 02:42AM

A "mission" would have strangled me.

A closed mission. A secret mission. A missing mission. I didn't want to go missing.

My missions are serious ones. I wouldn't have wanted to play around on such lame playgrounds with such useless equipment.

Mormonism is a stranger to me. Couldn't be stranger-

Date: August 31, 2020 03:24AM

Missionary v. Nary a Mission

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: September 02, 2020 03:20AM

Classy dad. I’m sure that Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is impressed.

Date: September 02, 2020 04:37AM

Gordon B. Stinky Wrote:
> Classy dad. I’m sure that Jesus Christ of Latter
> Day Saints is impressed.

Most certainly; especially during the heavy handed correlation years (1980s). It was a race to see which priesthood holder could outdo virtue-signalling the other. Maybe it was a lot of talk in the wind, but the ideas of cutting the power cords on TV so no watching on Sundays and locking the refrigerator doors on F/T Sindays seemed down right frightful. They were true signs of terror and they were most definitely condoned through church leaders as proper ways for a ph holder to put his house in order.

Now one family did resort to drastic measures. There were 3 daughters who each became pregnant over the course of a six year span. This was NOT well received at the stake level (he was a high councilor and eventually became "demoted" to the less pompous stake farm coordinator.

So this high councilor had installed jail bars to two sets of windows that were hidden from the main road. Forgive me that I grew up very sheltered, but as a Webelo aged kid I had no knowledge of burglar bars. They looked menacing to me (still do today). So as I was playing tossing the ball with my church friend, I finally realized that one window had been smashed out and the bars bent outward.

I asked him if somebody had broken into his home. His reply stunned me. No my sister refused to stay in her room and broke out. I can only imagine what other horrors had occurred in that "fine upstanding mormon household."

Date: September 03, 2020 05:35PM

I have a grandson about to go on a mission. Since I am a guest in my daughter's home I hesitate to even try and be realistic avout the issue.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: September 03, 2020 06:10PM

The Book of Mormon broadway show will need some new chapters and songs.
The Book of Mormon; the Sequel.....something dark.
I forget who did the music but it was awesome.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 07:32PM

The family may not be rolling in wealth, but the son should sue, then settle for enough to cover expenses until can establish himself.

Date: September 05, 2020 07:35PM

If they have a standard homeowners policy, the kid might be able to pry some money out of the insurance carrier! But he'd lose 33% to 40% to his attorney...

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: September 07, 2020 05:01PM

Yup. I'd say it's a rip-off, but my wife's an attorney. Hell, I'm going to live dangerously: It's a rip-off!!!!!

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: September 07, 2020 05:32PM

Perhaps, but the remaining 60 to 73% is more than he’s likely to get without one (FWIW, I am not a lawyer).

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 10, 2020 04:27PM

Nor, evidently, a mathematician!

Date: September 13, 2020 10:38PM

That's true

Posted by: Adam the warrior ( )
Date: September 10, 2020 04:06PM

this type of thing is all too familiar to me. Will the violence and anger ever end in that operation? Nope.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 11, 2020 03:58PM

Date: September 13, 2020 11:43PM

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 07:49AM

That father committed attemped murder. His entire family should be very afraid.

My temple ex-husband strangled me--twice--each time causing me to loose consciousness, which I thought was my death. I never have gotten over it. A recent flashback, the day of the March earthquake here in SLC, also triggered by the new Covid scare, made me schedule an online visit with a new psychiatrist. I told him I had been married for 14 months to an abusive creep who beat me, for no reason, almost every day, etc. The doctor told me that it wasn't "abuse", nor "beatings", but it was "attempted murder!" It really helped me to realize that someone else understood the seriousness of my situation. (After 14 months, I escaped with my life, and the creep continued to assault many other people, hiding behind the forgiveness of the cult and his GA family.

My HT neighbor forever disowned his son for not going on a mission. He screamed at his son in the hallway of our ward house, for everyone to hear. Neighbor's wife went along with it. The son left the cult, went to California, put himself through school with a basketball scholarship. He invited his parents to his basketball games, his graduation, his wedding, but got no response from them. They refuse any identified phone calls, return any letters, including birth announcements. They never even saw their daughter-in-law or their grandchildren.

Out of sight, out of mind.
The son and his family were dead to them--not in their world at all. The parents are deceased, now.

Posted by: Brother Joe ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 12:36PM

It appears that the father is very into mormonism and doing missions.

https://www.facebook.com/ScottKWarner

Date: September 16, 2020 04:04PM

Strangle away! Arizona still has the death penalty!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.