Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: August 24, 2020 11:44PM

Are beards on men becoming more acceptable in the ranks of the faithful members of the LDS Church?
And, even if they are more accepted among the younger men (if they are), How about for men in their 60s?

Is it common for men in their 60s to be considered faithful and be called to positions that would normally mean they are worthy enough to be Temple Recommend Holders, to also have full, bushy beards?

Is there anything new that has been released as guidance to priesthood leaders on the topic of beards?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: August 25, 2020 03:37AM

LeftTheMorg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are beards on men becoming more acceptable in the
> ranks of the faithful members of the LDS Church?
> And, even if they are more accepted among the
> younger men (if they are), How about for men in
> their 60s?
>
> Is it common for men in their 60s to be considered
> faithful and be called to positions that would
> normally mean they are worthy enough to be Temple
> Recommend Holders, to also have full, bushy
> beards?
>
> Is there anything new that has been released as
> guidance to priesthood leaders on the topic of
> beards?
>
> Thanks!

Times may be changing. 20 years ago, when I was still active, we had counselor in our bishopric who had a full beard. He had some very bad acne scars on his face, and very sensitive skin which made shaving difficult. So he grew a beard both to cover the scars, which he was very self conscious about, and just because shaving hurt. He was a very nice man, and very well liked by everyone. Our SP, probably under direction from above, determined that facial hair was not desirable, and that it was prohibited for anyone in leadership. He was ordered to shave his beard. When he explained why he did not feel like he could, he was given the "obedience is the first law of heaven" crap, and told that beards were contrary to the image the Lord wanted his priesthood holders to present. Long story short, the beard won and the church lost an entire family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2020 03:38AM by alsd.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 25, 2020 04:37PM

The only time I saw that beards were just fine was when we finally served in a German stake. I was even on the high council, and probably half the council members had a beard. I only saw one of them have to shave, and that was because he was called from bishop to stake president. Also in Italy it was not uncommon at all to see leaders sporting a beard. A lot of what happens in Mormonism happens only because of the American influence shoved down the throats of the American membership.

Posted by: Just Passing Through ( )
Date: August 25, 2020 06:34PM

There have been letters from the FP from time to time. I knew a guy that was proud of his mustache and then had to shave it when he became bishop, around 1995. Somewhere around 15+ years ago I happened to attend church (which was a rarity by that time) when they read a letter that said something like no facial hair and white shirt and tie were the lords uniform, or something like that. I grew a nice goatee.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: August 25, 2020 09:00PM

About 2016, a year before I left the church, my stake in Calgary gave out the mandate to shave all beards. In the same letter read from the pulpit, they put the kaibosh on bowties. There was one guy in the congregation sporting a bowtie that day looking a little embarrassed. I'm pretty sure the directive was aimed at him. It was hilarious. People complied. A year later, my beard was never seen again amongst the Mormon congregation.Balbo will never die!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 25, 2020 10:35PM

Mormon god sure is fickle. Every man he called to be the president of his one true church from Brigham Young to George Albert Smith (a span of more than a century) had a beard.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: August 25, 2020 11:30PM

Lorenzo Snow is the only prophet since Joseph Smith to claimed to actually have seen Jesus and he didn't need to shave for that,

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 25, 2020 11:52PM

Bow ties verbotten?

Next: String ties that dudes from the IMW commonly wear... OMGosh!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 09:22AM

If I was that dude wearing a bow tie, I would have taken it off and then just sat there.

If anyone gave me any lip I'd just ask them if Jesus ever wore a tie? Did Jesus shave?

Posted by: Moisture Farmer ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 12:19PM

During Covid a lot of the TBMs I know have grown beards. And that's just the women and children.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 12:47PM

this is another petty (non) issue like earrings, tattoos, etc. that Morbots use to separate wheat from chaff, it's obviously an obsession with them.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 01:11PM

Petty those beard and tie regulations may be (and they are), but they let faithful church members (supposedly) know who else is a faithful church member.

If memory serves, some conservative Jewish groups require their male members to grow beards. And, again, it's done for the same reason. As humans, we really have a problem with seeing all human beings as our brothers and sisters so we focus on looking like and supporting those who we think (or have been trained to think) are part of our tribe, whatever that tribe happens to be.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 27, 2020 11:28PM

The ONLY "guidance" Mormonism has is off the tracks. Guidance off the path. Guidance to the end. Into the dark.

They'll allow men's beards when they disavow women's patches.

I'd like to see a man rocking a suit with patches...

They'll allow it when the "high" among them wear them... and refuse to take them off.

For ANY Reason.

God has a beard?
Maybe sHEs gRay.

Posted by: frankblue ( )
Date: August 28, 2020 04:54AM

Mindcontrol deluxe when someone tells you if you should have a beard or not in church. What has that to do with your relation with God? Do LDS leaders think that God will look at the members beard or shaved faces when He returns? This is so crazy that I donĀ“t know what to say...

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 28, 2020 11:21AM

That's alright. There is nothing to say.

More LDS prejudices.
Pyramid structure.
FASHION Lip Service.
Pecking Order. Sneers-

Evil men judging saintly men? Ridiculous.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.