Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 01:02PM

I have heard this is happening around the country. I haver now witnessed personally two instances.

People are going places at random with cameras ready attempting to incite hand then filming it as it happens.

Someone on the sidewalk at the business next door with very sophisticated recording equipment and a second crew down the street. He was filming everything on the property. The owner asked, "Can I help you," and was ignored. The owner put his hand over the camera and the man swiped it away. He then said he would sue and own this business." The owner called the police who were here in 2 1/2 minutes. The guy ran as did his second crew when the police got there. The police did catch the one and took him away.

In conversations with the police they said this his happening a lot. They are looking to incite people and the police, record it, and post it. The video the guy took is already on You tube with a title of "False Arrest," which was his goal. Getting arrested was the point.

Don't kid yourself that you really understand all that is going on in this country right now.

There are somewhere around 600,000 policemen in this country or more and it is a tough job. All 600,000 are not bad though many are trying to make it look that way. Most are great people.'

We already know most people viewing this on Youtube will feed off the negative image. People are so ready to believe the worst.

Another was wandering a grocery store with mask dangling from ear with phone in hand. No shopping cart and no basket and not even looking at the shelves of groceries. Repeatedly ignored management kindly asking him to put his mask on. I didn't figure it out until I found out this is a thing and if you confront him you will be on Youtube faster than you can blink with a nasty caption like, "Racist White Old Man."

If your run into this---do not react. Act bored. Call 911 if you feel threatened.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 26, 2020 01:04PM

When you go to the youtube video you have to watch three ads to see it. This country is sick, very sick.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 01:08PM

2nd sentence: "incite hand"? Sorry, don't understand.

Date: August 26, 2020 01:17PM

incite "and"

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 01:46PM

If you would register your username then you can edit your posts.

Date: August 26, 2020 03:30PM

Thanks. I have an odd situation going on and that is not an option.

Date: August 26, 2020 05:15PM

Or you could ask some kind Admin to edit for you! (If it's that crucial).

Date: August 26, 2020 02:25PM

Oh sorry, D&D. I couldn't guess. Incite - trouble I guess.

Yes, very scary, sad, unhelpful, dangerous. All that. Even from up here in Canada - we are so sorry to see the trouble going on down there. We care about you.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 01:16PM

Thank you for the warning, D&D.

I've seen instances on the news and wondered "who was there filming so readily? How did they capture all of that so quickly without shaking or running away?"

Many in this country have become chaos junkies with agendas and $$ in their eyes.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 01:41PM

Date: August 26, 2020 02:45PM

And it seems inaccurate and unfair and just plain wrong to blame the behaviour on one political party or another. In "the greatest democracy" people have more freedom to behave how they will. The person or persons in charge are not directly responsible for every incident.

If there's a pattern that is a different question.

I can't really explain myself as it gets too political. But I hope I'm getting my basic point across. If it matters.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 01:35PM

I am an outdoor scenic photographer. And I have been since 1954. I tell people to be careful that you do not invade the privacy of others.
And yes there are those who are out there trying to create issues and problems.
I usually go to state or federal land to capture images. If you see someone who is obviously tring to create a problem just do all you can to avoid contact with them.

Date: August 26, 2020 02:39PM

How is this helpful to my recovery?

Just kidding, thedesertrat1. But I see you asking that frequently. My feeling is that absolutely everything is helpful to recovery, especially from Mormonism, as discussions of events and ideas that present different viewpoints can't help but be beneficial in broadening one's horizons and thoughts. You may not get that so much in the more fundamentalist-type religions, including Mormonism.

I especially find helpful the discussions where people disagree with each other's opinions. I used to have a horror of disagreement - not sure where that came from or why it developed so strongly in me. I didn't even like witnessing it between others, in person or in writing, but especially if it involved me. But the more often you experience it the more accustomed to it you become and I think that's a positive outcome. Being too delicate doesn't really cut it in this world.

Besides that, OT posts are actually allowed here and the topics therein may or may not be applicable at all to Mormonism or other religion. It's good to have a mix of serious and lighter material which can help more readers, depending on what one is looking for.

There used to be all Mormonism all the time on here, when I first came years ago, when the board was younger (as was I!) Now that there are more religion discussion boards, including Mormonism, and more outlets on the Net for every conceivable question and discussion, that is perhaps not as crucial here now as it was at first. Although Mormonism is indeed the primary subject at hand here. You can always just keep starting your own threads with the subject line specific to your topic of choice and that way can discuss LDS all you wish.

On another note, it's interesting that you are a photographer, especially from way back in the day. You've seen plenty of changes in your field. I love black & white photos and old cameras. I have a few sepias of very old folks back in my family's line. Sadly, it seems nobody knows who they were at this point. I don't even know now where I obtained them from. None of the old guard are left now to ask who's who. My only hope is that cousins in England may know, but I don't hold out hope on that. I bought quite an expensive camera and wanted to take lessons just before cell phone cameras turned out to be pretty darn good. I think I'll still try to use this camera that is at present above my level of expertise (which is slight). Maybe if CV settles down the local camera club might start up again where I can get a few lessons.

Meanwhile, sorry D&D for hijacking your thread in being so very off topic on a very serious subject. (Now, desertrat, *that* is a bigger offence, in my opinion, than starting your own off topic thread). So, dear D&D, again - sorry. I won't do it again. Likely.

Date: August 27, 2020 07:47PM

You got me!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2020 07:49PM by thedesertrat1.

Date: August 27, 2020 07:54PM

I think I'll still try to use this camera that is at present above my level of expertise (which is slight). Maybe if CV settles down the local camera club might start up again where I can get a few lessons.
If I knew what kind of camera it is I might be able to help. If you are anywhere near Orem we might be able to meet and I could maybe help

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 01:37PM

I was briefly a sworn peace officer many years ago, here's my take:

most of police work is routine & boring. Patrol officers bread & butter is speeders, we dread 'Domestic Violence' calls...

the combination of adrenaline & testosterone get officers ramped up for excitement & danger when a priority call arrive, it's a part of nature & easily supersedes what training we've experienced, 'it is what it is'.

Each officer handles these issues - calls with a background of life experiences that aren't forgotten when they go to work, strap on weapon & badge...

the 'good' or 'bad' of an officer's other life shouldn't matter but they do, racist, spouse abuser, mean to children or all loving prior experiences.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 02:26PM

I know this is simplistic, but that doesn't take away from the truth of it:

British police modeled themselves after the Boy Scouts

American police modeled themselves after the Pinkertons

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 03:14PM

Date: August 26, 2020 03:16PM

Okay. I'm scared. They've been released and they are back. They are now filming our area, car license plates, inside cars on the street..
Cussing at us. I don't know what is going to happen. They seem to know how to not cross any lines legally but are trying to get us riled up.

The police said to call if it gets worse but right now they are not doing anything illegal so nothing can be done.

Next time you see a video of supposed police brutality or racism think twice. This whole mess is so out of hand.

I am scared. They get enough people riled up with their Youtube we could end up with protests right here and we know where that can go.

Date: August 26, 2020 03:30PM

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 05:59PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Next time you see a video of supposed police
> brutality or racism think twice.

I will if you will. Okay, Boomer?

Date: August 26, 2020 07:58PM

Why would you assume I don't already?

Date: August 26, 2020 08:04PM

I've read a lot of what you've written about the protests against police brutality and what you've written about the police in general.

Based on what I've read, I think you are quick to assume that what you are witnessing is "supposed police brutality or racism." I think you give the police the benefit of the doubt. I *definitely* give the protestors the benefit of the doubt.

ETA: And I'm sorry about that crap furry potato dude. I'm glad you and your crew are okay. I think you handled that @#$@#$ and the situation well. I do not like that guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2020 08:05PM by Beth.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 08:12PM

That guy is a sociopath: one of the inevitable con men who profit personally from others' suffering during chaotic times.

If he were more intelligent, he might have started a religion or--or become a national leader.

Date: August 26, 2020 08:43PM

Assume away then,Beth.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 09:04PM

If you hate cops, then don’t break the law.

Date: August 26, 2020 09:46PM

Is that a general statement, or are you saying that I hate cops?

If it's a general statement, it is an incredibly simplistic view and inaccurate description of the protests.

If you're saying that *I* hate cops, you're wrong. I don't hate cops. I am afraid of cops, in general.

If you're saying that only people who have broken the law are arrested, you don't understand what law and order means.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2020 09:47PM by Beth.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 11:11PM

Date: August 27, 2020 09:47AM

Obviously you remembered the back and forth we had over the derogatory and dismissive use of the word Boomer, Beth, and how offended I felt by it. I will not return in kind.

As far as being "quick to assume", Beth, you may see a better example in the mirror.

Date: August 27, 2020 05:48PM

I don't want to get in the middle of something I don't completely understand but I waited overnight and can't manage to stifle myself so am going to go ahead and make a comment. With the proviso that I try to keep up with the news but don't have all the facts of every incident in question plus it can be difficult to sort out the varying accounts. Not to mention such numerous similar events (very sadly) so it can be difficult to keep up.

But. When D&D said: "Next time you see a video of supposed police brutality or racism think twice." - I understood him to mean in the context of this weird guy going around inciting incidents and then filming reactions, hoping to catch someone out and perhaps ending up suing them, all as a means to make money (??)

Unfortunately, it seems that even with video "evidence" we have to question reality as things may not always be what they seem, even though we think we are seeing real time occurrences. It seems even eyewitness-type evidence can be misconstrued or manipulated.

Going from religion/s where we were inculcated with the idea that questions were wrong, even sinful, now we find it best to ask questions 100% of the time. Must get all sides of a story and varying opinions and accounts even for "eyewitness" testimony.

I didn't take D&D's advice to question videos of "police brutality or racism" to mean he doesn't believe that happens or that if videos of such incidents surface and are authenticated they aren't indicative of major issues with some police officers and their ill-advised (or worse) and/or illegal actions (as we know such massively unfortunate, and in all too many cases lethal, incidents have indeed occurred).

In short, my interpretation of his comment was that he was referring to guys like the one he describes going around stirring up trouble for personal gain and producing so-called video evidence to back up his claims. "Evidence" that some people may feel compelled to respond to by paying the guy to make the trouble he's causing go away.

I think D&D understandably was even more alarmed at such behaviour due to the fact of it occurring in his own vicinity and so being a danger to himself or those around him.

That was my impression of his post anyway. FWIW

Date: August 27, 2020 06:32PM

You couldn't have said it better, Nightingale, and this is much appreciated.

All I ever say in my posts is to look at the big picture. In another recent thread (Human--BLM) my remarks were specifically to not jump to "premature conclusions." To look at the "Whole Picture, All the facts." Find all the facts. I was never advocating giving anyone the benefit of the doubt. No. That is where things go south fast.

The attempts on myself and our employees to drag them into this was really something. When you see someone filming your car, the license plate, the bin number, the contents, refusing to answer your questions and taunting you with fowl language and threats, you begin to feel threatened. Only by understanding that you are being baited can you resist beginning the actions they are hoping to film.

As I saw two incidents within two days of each other and then viewed the footage which did not tell the entire story, it was a light going on. I realized that putting implicit trust in a video is reckless. I saw the manipulation. I saw the intent not to record fact but to manipulate fact to fit an agenda. I also became aware this is common. And that has to pop into your head the next time a video is shown. And, I am not saying that ALL video is manipulated or edited. And many videos tell important stories that must be told as they aid the writing of wrongs and help us move forward correctly.

However, hasty and immediate action after viewing a video without taking the time to get All the facts is questionable at best. Irresponsible at worst.

As Peggy Lee sang, "Is that all there is?" And, that is a great, great, question.

Date: August 27, 2020 06:53PM

Whew - glad I understood you correctly D&D.

Re Peggy Lee: That is an immensely sad song.

Date: August 27, 2020 06:55PM

> and taunting you with fowl language

I hate that! I don't speak a word of Duck, but I do know a little Goose ...

Date: August 27, 2020 07:02PM

It was their Peacock screeches that were the worst!

OMG. I'm the worst at proofing.

And now, back to writing wrongs.

Date: August 27, 2020 07:05PM

I would have gone with 'writing Wongs'!

But you're just a talented amateur...

Date: August 27, 2020 07:49PM

The definition of irony.

I was writing that I will not be so quick to judge if you won't. I was acknowledging that I do so, and saying that in my opinion, which I think I wrote somewhere else on this thread, based on what I've read over a period of time, I think that you are quick to side with the police. I qualified the hell out of it.

You started this thread about a crap thing that happened to you. You took your experience and, intentionally or otherwise, extrapolated it to apply to allllll videos of police violence.

This thread isn't just about what happened to *you*. You're giving us a warning, an Important Warning.

Before cameras were ubiquitous, no one believed us. Now that there is video, the new trope is that video has been altered or provoked.

You weren't warning us only about some potato head; you were warning us about "supposed police brutality or racism."

On another thread, someone asked what a dog whistle is. In many ways, this thread is a dog whistle.

Beth Wrote:
> Done & Done Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Next time you see a video of supposed police
> > brutality or racism think twice.
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> I will if you will. Okay, Boomer?

Beth Wrote:
> I've read a lot of what you've written about the
> protests against police brutality and what you've
> written about the police in general.
>
> Based on what I've read, I think you are quick to
> assume that what you are witnessing is "supposed
> police brutality or racism." I think you give the
> police the benefit of the doubt. I *definitely*
> give the protestors the benefit of the doubt.
>
> ETA: And I'm sorry about that crap furry potato
> dude. I'm glad you and your crew are okay. I think
> you handled that @#$@#$ and the situation well. I
> do not like that guy.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2020 07:55PM by Beth.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 03:26PM

Here’s where a Book of Mormon would actually come in handy. Pester them about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and his dealings with the ancient inhabitants of America until they leave.

Date: August 26, 2020 03:28PM

OH I needed that laugh! Bless you.

Date: August 26, 2020 05:16PM

Date: August 26, 2020 04:12PM

There are photographers out there called "Nightcrawlers" who are hooked into local police radio. they get the calls at the same time the patrol gets the dispatch. They sometimes beat the police to the crime scene.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 11:01PM

these days most (I'm guessing 90%) of police radio communications are scrambled, UN-intelligible to non-police 'civilians'.

Date: August 26, 2020 04:17PM

"pics or it didn't happen..."

Y ya tienes mi correo electronico, vato.

Date: August 26, 2020 05:59PM

ya los mande.

Date: August 26, 2020 07:40PM

Furry Potato, when being arrested: "'Go F__k yourself' is my name, officer."

then later...

FP: "Officer, call me by my name."

Officer: "What's your name then?"

FP: "Officer, my name is Plaintiff; you really screwed the pooch and I'm going to sue your ass off!"

Addressing the gentleman who called the cops:

"I'm going to own your company, buddy! I hope you're the owner, buddy! That's my company now!"

I'm guessing that he makes a few bucks by filing lawsuits and taking the 'nuisance money' insurance companies pay because they, the insurance companies save time and money.

If it will cost $3,000 in filing fees, copying charges, preparing the answer, responding to 'rogs, requests for admissions, and the whole panoply of games plaintiffs can play, not to mention keeping the defendant's personal attorney in the loop, why not pay $1,500 to get Furry Potatoe's name on a release of all claims, or on the dismissal?

Date: August 26, 2020 07:56PM

And that's the name of the game!

Date: August 26, 2020 06:14PM

Turns out to be Zhoie Perez aka Furry Potato. You can easily find his youtube videos where he specializes in taunting his victims until he gets them riled and they attack him. He makes sure to lure them onto public property which he remains on which keeps him "innocent."

He delights in getting people arrested for attacking him and then charging the police with brutality when he is arrested. He has a very professional crew working with him with sophisticated equipment and they communicate in hand signals. He is a master of manipulating the video to fit his agenda. Lots of tricks.

Never engage these type of people. Never. They will win when you try to play their game.

I told all our crew to not engage at all. His crew started filming us, our cars, license plates, inside cars etc and taunting us with ugly language. If you react you get filmed and made to look bad on youtube. Call the cops and warn them what it is and stay far away.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 07:16PM

Thank you for all the information, Done & Done.
Please stay safe.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 07:34PM

Thank you public schools!

This is what they are taught about how the law works.

This is not new Done and Done going on for a few years now.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: August 26, 2020 11:15PM

They're going to bring that show to South Mississippi and they'll get a different kind of education.

Date: August 27, 2020 10:09AM

Don't be so sure. Would be nice to live in a world where the laws meant to protect also protect this type of person.

I watched some of the videos they post. The poor people drawn in who really felt threatened got arrested and the Fuzzy Potato went free.

Just watching makes you want to do something so bad. This guy is a master at pushing buttons. And with covid as the perfect excuse to be masked? And the mask he wears looks like some Darth Vader thing. HE knows what he is doing.

Reminds me of the Mark Twain quote, "Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and win with experience every time" or something like that. Same principle Fuzzy Potato counts on.

Date: August 27, 2020 06:39PM

If anyone is interested . . . they posted the guy next door's phone number and his phone rang non stop for 24 hours by the fan supporters of the fuzzy potato.

The video was taken down. We do not know why. Many of his other videos are up. They are hard to watch as you see people get sucked in.

Hoping this is over.

Date: August 27, 2020 06:53PM

It is really difficult to not get drawn in. I'm a great one to react instead of think and get the info I need. I hope this guy quits taunting you.

It is too easy in this day and age with all the technology, cell phones at our fingertips.

I came here today just to find out how you are doing after having cataract surgery this morning. This one went different than the last one in terms of I have more pain. Weird to have your eye operated on. I had NO pain whatsoever with my last eye.

Date: August 27, 2020 07:08PM

Glad you got that over with cl2. I dread even the thought of ever needing eye surgery. I'm terribly squeamish and not very brave.

Sorry about the pain. If that is unexpected or becomes even a little bit more intense maybe you should call the surgeon's office or an emergency line to ask if it's cause for concern.

Perhaps they could at least give you some pain-relieving eye drops or something?

Date: August 27, 2020 07:24PM

I have pain eye drops. I think I'll go put some more in. I didn't realize what they were last time until I was about done with them. I have antibiotic eye drops and then steroid eye drops.

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be after having typed cataract surgeries for years. EYES open for surgery. They make it easy to keep them open and this anesthesiologist didn't put me quite as under as the last one did. The last one was more of a breeze than anything. This one wasn't bad either, but not as easy as the last one.

I'm glad the crisis is over and I hope that they leave you alone. You handled it wisely.

Date: August 27, 2020 07:11PM

Good luck with the eyes.

The drama is all over apparently. Too many cooks spoil the broth and that makes me wonder what chance 8 billion people have to get things right on this planet. Have to keep trying though.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 27, 2020 06:56PM

Wasn't this an episode of 'CHiPs' 40 years ago?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.