Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: frankblue ( )
Date: August 28, 2020 05:10AM

How was has leaders or other members scared you while you were in the chuch? As I have notieced during my time as a member (around 25 yrs totally) that church use alot of fear and control. Especially in the temple..taking order from Satan and so on..you who have been there knows what I´m talking about.

I never forget when one bishop told me (when I was a new member) that everything counts on how much you do for the Lord. That is the key to heaven and that only prophets or those who dies like a martyr comes closest to God. The celestial heaven felt far away for me from that moment.

Another member told be that I will burn when Christ come back if I didn´t pay tithing. Would be intrested to hear what other exmormons out here has experienced...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 28, 2020 05:29AM

frankblue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Another member told be that I will burn when
> Christ come back if I didn't pay tithing.

And what has the church done with the lord's money?

-Built a lot of shopping malls and housing subdivisions.

They pay for nothing. Members clean their buildings and supply their own toiletries like soap and tp.

At one time, the church had a state of the art canning plant (after leasing plants all over Utah) in Ogden. It was so "grand" that President Reagan dropped in to receive the grand tour and see how the church employed 500 workers to assist the church's welfare system.

About 5 years ago, the church built a new state of the art cannery that employs 25 people. It has limited output and the church loves it because they have found it cheaper to buy canned food sourced from elsewhere.

The church is proud of it's minimalist approach to charity.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 29, 2020 04:46PM

The church spends less on charity than the average Fortune 500 company. Your tithing dollars would be better spent on stuff you actually want.

Or better yet, sent to a real charity rather than these fear mongering tightwads.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: August 29, 2020 01:00AM

The church would not exist without fear and control which is why they are whipping the saints again after covid pretty much showed who was in charge.

Yes fear and control is how the Mormon God works. He can't find an honest person of integrity within the church or they soon find themselves outside of the church. Those people need to be told the truth isn't useful and even if the prophet is ever wrong he is still always right.

Interestingly, I learned on my mission that preachers from other churches can make you feel just as guilty because of fear, saying you will go to hell, etc as LDS can. As a TBM, I figured they were wrong but it really opened my eyes when I saw the same tactics at work in the church. Because of this and other things my shelf broke cleanly in later years as if by an act of God.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 29, 2020 10:26AM

James Faust used subtle fear with his sincere face and gentle weepy voice: "Where will you go? What will you do?"
This is meant for all of us lost sheep that chose freedom and greener meadows.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 29, 2020 04:50PM

Mormon god has a taste for Goethe.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 29, 2020 09:54PM

Good one!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 29, 2020 10:05PM

"That Faust is an apostle is the height of irony."

--Mephistopheles, acolyte of Judic West, Esq., and discount purveyor of high-quality smut.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2020 10:17PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Anoninthis ( )
Date: August 29, 2020 11:42AM

Two incidences. One where the administrator of the local university institute centered his sacrament meeting talk toward me. I'm not being paranoid because it repeated several of the things we had talked about the previous week in a private conversation and he was staring at me during the entire talk. I had told him that I liked the four noble truth of Buddhism and, in his talk, he referred to some people being led away by false doctrine and the danger of eternal damnation. It was a fire and brimstone speech. He left for an appointment in SL soon after. It was scary. He was a very angry guy.

Second, a different guy followed me from the chapel and came up to our car (family inside) where we were sitting with the window rolled down. As he talked to me he kept kicking the front tire while he expressed his opinions on my beliefs. I asked him to please stop kicking the tire. And he did, but his facial expression remained the same. Not a happy fellow.

There was actually a third, now that I think about it. The whole stake presidency showed up unannounced and asked to come in. Once inside and seated, they began a call me to repentance and advised me to be more active for the sake of me family and wanted to give a prayer before they left. If they tried anything like that today, they would have been chased out with a raised chair.

Posted by: AnoninThis ( )
Date: August 29, 2020 11:45AM

Meant to say "a call to repentance" in next to last sentence of my post.

Posted by: MormonMartinLuther ( )
Date: August 30, 2020 10:51PM

Sounds like you threatened their truth and that truth wasn't going to hold up in the light of day anyways.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 29, 2020 04:35PM

Reply: OP

Do you think they would be able to Beat A Dime of its Customers (believers of lies)/ "members" if they didn't use fEAR & CONtroll?

If LDSc didn't Crack The Whip, the "local leaders" couldn't crack it, and you know what that means right? Correct! The parents and other members couldn't crack it (on Themselves, and Others). Members can't even crack the code (without becoming "nonmembers"/ free (range) saints.

Without FEAR!
And CONTROL?

Tithing would dry up (like the fonts of late), followers would go "ashtray" (and astray), or become enlightened/ progress, learn (the truth of Mormonism) and grow, and have a burning (Bonfire for Bernie) in their bosom, and fall asleep in church, like they already do.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: August 29, 2020 10:49PM

I don't know of another church that teaches separation from loved ones unless family members are sealed together in the temple. It's the number one reason members pay tithing and stay active. It's the ultimate fear tactic and why LDS Inc. has a $100 billion stash.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 30, 2020 10:10AM

If I can frighten you I can cause you to do anything I order you to do!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 30, 2020 01:39PM

With all this falsehood past off as doctrine, what's the punishment for lying?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 30, 2020 01:47PM

More and more it looks like lying will get you a promotion.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 30, 2020 02:07PM

No consequences. They have received the second anointing, whose purpose is to free the leaders from moral constraints. That's the culture; those are the values.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 30, 2020 09:21PM

It's to SHAKE THE MEMBERS DOWN in case they were shaking already.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 02, 2020 10:57PM

When I went through the temple, a guy playing Satan pointed at the audience and said "If anyone here does not live up to the covenants they have made here this day, they will be in my power". That came between the some old guy groping my genitals and taking an oath that involved having my throat cut open from ear to ear as a "penalty", if I ever revealed the secret handshake.

How could these rituals have ever been sacred, considering that the church has forsaken them now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2020 10:59PM by azsteve.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: September 02, 2020 11:06PM

Fear as a tool of control, is a mere side-effect.

If they're trying hard to make you fearful, it's what in detective work we call a Clue

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 03, 2020 12:21AM

If I get you to do a bunch of things, and pay me too - see, I'm doing things for another guy (different calling) - for free, forever, we all getting to be part of a perpetual cycle of climbing all over one another, competing for God's (LDS hierarchy) grace, and then berating each other to oblivion, over nothing...

And we all get richer, or the Lord does, well, the corporation of the president of the 'church' that can't even find Golden Plates (much less the ones they pass around) and there's no way that it will show the money.

The people help the 'church' (which is crippled without them), not the other way around.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: September 03, 2020 06:28PM

I think the greatest control mechanism in Mormonism is other members. The leaderships creates such and impossible standard of obedience to authority and lifestyle that it becomes a self controlling because no one wants to be seen as not measuring up in the eyes of others.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.