Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 02:58AM

they disowned the cliche' that 'the worst publicity is no publicity', I think they'd like to hide under a Rock... on a far-away beach in a tropical climate area...

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2020/07/18/byus-black-student-union/?fbclid=IwAR3gr58Z_b52hfLOtwXr6LAt9-623swdYD-mjQTbq_tjcliJCjHocGCHDg4

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 07:10AM

The black student union at BYU is correct. You can't fix something that was built on a faulty foundation to begin with and that includes the institutionalized racism within the church. Sooner or later, the mormon church is going to have to deal with these issues. The buildings need to be renamed.

Brigham Young himself was a racist. The evidence of this former church leader's racism is a part of recorded history. If the University were named after Adolph Hitler, there wouldn't be any fixing that, other than to change the name of the university. I have long held that BYU should be renamed. As evidence that the mormon church has abandoned the institutionalized racist beliefs and teachings of their past, BYU (at least the one in Provo) should be re-named after a black scholar. Other mormon schools that bare the name of Brigham Young in them need to have a name change also.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2020 07:18AM by azsteve.

Date: September 05, 2020 10:49AM

I have suggested for many years (included posts here) that BYU should be renamed after Juanita Brooks, at least that's someone that was a churchco member, a strong tie-reminder of truth-telling (which is part of the reason "It will never happen").

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 01:03PM

BYU should be named after a Great Lamanite Warrior!

I would nominate myself, but that would be playing favorites.

Date: September 05, 2020 01:06PM

And yes, I would be proud even to have a porta-potty named after me!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 01:08PM

Done!

Date: September 05, 2020 01:09PM

Well ain't that a pisser!!!

Thank you!

Date: September 05, 2020 01:15PM

My pleasure.

Next on the list: a line of tasteful pre-fab EOD outhouses. You won't believe what we've done instead of the old crescent moon windows!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 06, 2020 12:33PM

EODU! I love it!

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 08:53PM

It could be named 'The Judic West Chair of Philosophy at BYU' - has a nice ring to it

Posted by: Flying a Kite ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 08:51AM

oldpobot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It could be named 'The Judic West Chair of
> Philosophy at BYU' - has a nice ring to it

Judaic West? Huh?

Date: September 05, 2020 01:15PM

at least the last few Profits haven't owned slaves... Have They?

Date: September 05, 2020 01:16PM

I think Russell Milhaus Nelson got owned.

Date: September 05, 2020 01:20PM

? by Wendy??

Date: September 05, 2020 01:22PM

Yes, but that's just an opinion; no angels were involved.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 06:59PM

Maybe not slaves but thousands on indentured servants.

Date: September 05, 2020 07:38PM

Quite the word combo: Volunteer Slaves

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 08:18PM

Didn't President Washington have a black slave, and a child by the same?

Times, they be a-changing all the time.

Date: September 05, 2020 08:44PM

Not sure about the child, but credible bios tell that GW was a farmer & owned slaves....

My fav bio of him is by Willard S Randall...

GW was an extraordinary individual, Right Place at Right Time; of course that doesn't excuse any wrongdoing...

Date: September 05, 2020 11:19PM

You may be thinking of Thomas Jefferson.

Posted by: Tagomaa ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 04:25PM

In fact, George Washington owned over 500 slaves with his wife, though only about 125 of them were actually his. His wife inherited the rest. When Washington died, his 125 were freed at his request. Those owned by his wife, were still in bondage.

Mount Vernon include a wonderful museum dedicated to Washington, and it includes an entire wing devoted to slavery. The issued is not glossed over. Washington sometimes paid a fee/bounty for the
return of escaped slaves. He was known at the time to feed his slaves poorly.

And then there was Jefferson. I haven't yet visited Montecello so I have little to add, except that his long time affair with his favorite slave is well documented.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: September 06, 2020 01:35PM

I think it should be renamed "permanently closed".

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: September 06, 2020 01:59PM

This Christing bullshit has gone on long enough. My God, get over it with erasing history. Either that or get the hell off the planet. I see things I hate, but I'm not going to take it out on the entire damn universe. Seems like a certain color is now pushing around THEIR color's 'priviledge'.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 08:20AM

+The original MOI!:
"This Christing bullshit has gone on long enough. My God, get over it with erasing history. Either that or get the hell off the planet. I see things I hate, but I'm not going to take it out on the entire damn universe. Seems like a certain color is now pushing around THEIR color's 'privilege'."

==It is a difficult question:
Should we respect the people alive today or should we say that it is history?

Why not add a plaque that says this person is a racist. This is what he has said or this is what he has done.

This would serve as a history lesson for future generations.

Recently, in Montreal and other parts of Canada, they were unbolting the statue of John MacDonald and pulling the large bronze statue to the ground. Apparently, this guy's policies were directed at native americans and he was trying to destroy their culture.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 11:56AM

I think it's really telling that the church named two of its most important buildings after a racist and an anti-Semite. The library, a place of discovery and fact, is named after Harold B. Lee, who objected to the idea of allowing black students. His argument was not an original one, but simply, "Would you want your daughter to marry one?"

The law school was named after J. Reuben Clark, no love of blacks, to be sure, but more infamous for his antisemitism and admiration of Adolf Hitler during WWII.

Most universities would have already made a course correction, but not BYU. Religious exceptionalism and inability to admit error because of supposed past "revelations" keeps the LDS church from making the required amount of social progression.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 02:54PM

question is how to these young people get their minds around the religion in the first place. They want the names of the buildings to change but can't seem to conclude that it is their religion that needs changing. Belief is a strange thing indeed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.