Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: September 05, 2020 10:33PM

Hello,
Have any of you asked your parents or priest or whatever you want to call your representative what the point is for doing missionary work?

1. At what age do boys start their missionary work?
2. How long does it last?
3. Can boys refuse? What are the consequences?
4. At what age do girls start their missionary work? How long does it last?
5. Can girls refuse? What are the consequences?
6. How many hours per day do you do it?
7. How many days per week?
8. How many years?
9. Do you take a break and take a plane and go back home?
10. How many houses do you go to per day?
11. Do you stop people in the streets and tell them about Mormon theology?

For example:
Sometimes, jehova witnesses come to my house. Sometimes, they stop me in the streets. I see the watchtower magazine in their hand. It takes a while for them to identify themselves as jehova witnesses. Some don’t identify themselves. I’ve gotten used and became more apt at identifying this nuisance and turned them away quickly.
But it has been maybe 5 y that they don’t come. They seem to have changed their mode of operation. Now, they stand at street corners with a display and pamphlets.

12. What is the objective of missionary work? I remember an article where a woman said that it helped her become better at marketing.

13. If you were still a mormon, do you have to go again on missionary work or it is all over for you? Do they ask 50 y olds to do it?

14. What if someone becomes a mormon at 50 y of age?

15. What if someone is mute?

16. What if someone’s legs don’t function?

17. What if clearly you are a problem case and you will likely not represent mormonism very well? Do they send their cream of the crop?

18. Can I do missionary work? I am an atheist. The mormon church just needs to write the check. I’ll go around and tell people about Joseph Smith.

19. It is my understanding that they don’t pay the 17, 18, 19 y old boys. Why do you accept to do the work if you are not going to get payed? Are you going to get payed in heaven?

20. I think that is enough questions, however, feed me with more information if you can.

~~~~iceman9090

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: S. Richard Bellrock ( )
Date: September 06, 2020 12:35PM

I think that the purpose of missions is to take advantage of the natural psychological development of young adults in such a way as to try to make them committed to the Church for life.
http://unexaminedfaith.blogspot.com/2017/12/the-lds-proselytizing-mission-as-hazing.html

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: September 06, 2020 12:37PM

I agree, it's to bindthemisdionaryto the church in a subservient mindset.

Converts are gravy.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 06, 2020 12:43PM

It obviously didn't start out with that in mind...

What happened, and how awful was the mindset of those who promoted this part of the missionary experience?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 06, 2020 12:48PM

The only purpose of the missionary program is to create life long tithe payers.

Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: September 06, 2020 12:53PM

The original purpose of missionaries was to get men out of the way when Joe wanted their wives.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 06, 2020 12:58PM

These last two 'statements', that being a missionary is about programming and cuckoldry, allow TBMs to disregard all else we might have to say about mormonism.

Date: September 07, 2020 07:09AM

Wait...what? Are WE supposed to be missionaries, then?

In the first place, it's just a joke. This site is for ex-Mormons and I should feel safe to vent and tease here. Please don't council me on what the Mormons want. I don't care. I am not here to convince Mormons of anything.

Date: September 07, 2020 08:09AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These last two 'statements', that being a
> missionary is about programming and cuckoldry,
> allow TBMs to disregard all else we might have to
> say about mormonism.

You know what... I thank this community for the solidarity it provided me with, during a time when I was very vulnerable in this process of discovery. This is the fourth time someone has taken an antagonistic tone with me over nothing. I wasn't insulting or attacking anyone. It was a teasing joke and this space should be safe for that. I'm not here trying to convert Mormons out of their cult. I was here for me, my own process of coping with the truth. A community of those who have already done it was helpful once.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 09, 2020 02:43AM

Take EOD with a grain of salt, I'd advise. He's a humorous, ironic, self-deprecating minstrel. I doubt sincerely that he was criticizing you.

"Never take EOD seriously. Lord knows, he doesn't!"

--Judic West, figment of fertile imaginations since 2008.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 19, 2020 12:39PM

thegoodman Wrote:
> elderolddog Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > These last two 'statements', that being a
> > missionary is about programming and cuckoldry,
> > allow TBMs to disregard all else we might have
> to
> > say about mormonism.
>
>
> You know what... I thank this community for the
> solidarity it provided me with, during a time when
> I was very vulnerable in this process of
> discovery. This is the fourth time someone has
> taken an antagonistic tone with me over nothing. I
> wasn't insulting or attacking anyone. It was a
> teasing joke and this space should be safe for
> that. I'm not here trying to convert Mormons out
> of their cult. I was here for me, my own process
> of coping with the truth. A community of those who
> have already done it was helpful once.

DON'T GIVE UP ON THIS FORUM!!!
I have been both blasted and supported here. Keep posting your friends here will help yo work it out!!!!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 06, 2020 01:10PM

To answer some of your questions:

Men go starting at age 18 for two years. Women go starting at 19 for 1.5 years. Missions can be domestic or foreign. If a missionary needs a second language for either a domestic or foreign mission, this is taught at the MTC (Missionary Training Center.) It is a cultural expectation for men to go on a mission. It is not a cultural expectation for the women, although there can sometimes be some peer pressure among the women to go.

Most missions are unpaid, and in fact the missionary pays a substantial amount of money for their mission. For the men, it's in excess of $10,000 for the two years. In some third world countries the church may pay the local missionaries to serve a mission, and in many cases this is considered to be a desirable "job."

Missionary work is six days a week with one "P" (for preparation) day. Preparation day is spent doing laundry, writing or calling home, and perhaps some recreation. Days are long and stretch into the evening hours. They include study time, visiting church members, proselytizing by various means, teaching lessons, performing baptisms (for the men,) and perhaps doing some service. Missionaries have been known to do street contacting, but it depends on the mission president. Missionaries normally do not go home at any point during their missions, and are strongly discouraged from doing so even for family emergencies.

Younger missionaries can still serve missions even if disabled, but may need to be given special assignments, often living at home. As for "problem cases," it depends on the ward's bishop, who must sign off on each missionary prospect. A bishop can deny a young person a mission, or conversely, send the the young person, hoping a mission will shape him or her up. There are many stories of experienced missionaries "babysitting" a dysfunctional missionary companion.

Senior couples can serve missions as well. They can choose from a variety of assignments and locations, but they pay for their missions, and the cost can be steep. I believe that senior missions range from six months to two years. Some seniors serve multiple missions.

The stated purpose of missions is to convert people to Mormonism, but as others have noted, there is a suspicion that the real purpose of a mission is to bind young people to the church, making them unquestioning, lifelong members.

Date: September 06, 2020 10:46PM

+Summer:
Thank you. That is good stuff.
I would like to know more, if that is possible.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 07, 2020 02:56AM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionaries_(LDS_Church)

There's 10,000 or so words on the subject. That should be a good start.

Edit to fix link. Second edit, link still messed up. Click the "did you mean......" link on the page that comes up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2020 03:01AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 07, 2020 08:58AM

I gave you the outline, but where you really learn what it means to be a Mormon missionary comes through in people's personal stories. So hang out here for long enough, or do a search, or poke through the archives.

For instance, when I said that it's not unusual for retired Mormons to go on multiple missions, what I didn't say is that some Mormon couples have been known to sell their houses and drain their retirement savings in order to serve those missions. Or that they've gone for years without any significant contact with their children or grandchildren.

It's the personal stories, or stories of people known to the teller, that really bring the topic alive.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 07, 2020 09:48AM

summer Wrote:
> The stated purpose of missions is to convert
> people to Mormonism, but as others have noted,
> there is a suspicion that the real purpose of a
> mission is to bind young people to the church,
> making them unquestioning, lifelong members.

And then once they're home, the pressure is on to get married and start giving birth to future little tithe payers.

That ensures that they marry very young.

It interrupts any life plans they may have after highschool, so that they don't get into a new adult routine and put off marriage.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: September 09, 2020 02:03AM

Dave the Atheist succinctly explains the point of missionary work. Summer explains the mechanics.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: September 09, 2020 04:07AM

Today, missionary work is not about converting new people to mormonism. The dishonesty of the mormon church is all over the internet so that is impossible. Missionary work today is to simply brainwash young mormons into turning them into hardcore mormons for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: Provo Proud ( )
Date: September 10, 2020 12:53AM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 10, 2020 01:37AM

I could never figure that out myself. I just knew I wasn't going on one...even before I was a deacon.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: September 10, 2020 01:44AM

I think for most Mormons they do it because the prophets have said to do it, and that is as deep as it goes. They are just happy doing the Lord's will, and that's all.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 10, 2020 10:32PM

To brainwash footsoldiers.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 12, 2020 02:45PM

They find a mark, plan the grift, then indoctrinate him. They see if they can talk him into coming to church and paying tithing. The chances are 3:1 that the person, if baptised, will never come to church ever again, but if the person does get baptised, that is everything, and the job is done.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 04:44PM

iceman9090 Wrote:
> Hello, [questions 1 through 19]
> Have any of you asked yourself what does one do on a [missing]?
>

MISS

Miss Mississippi is the best! She passes my test. Tickles

>

> ...#20- I think that is enough questions, however, feed me with more information if you can.

I know you're hungry, but, well, I don't can. I rarely even freeze. I (am like, "hi", &) dry though. I even fry. I try, but I don't bake much though. I get baked goods. I smoke stuff sometimes. Occasionally even burning them. I try foods. Even wild foods! Food that you're the first to get to, that hasn't been touched all that much.

Speaking of food and touching, let's table the first 19 articles of [missing] fluff and touch on #20.

Here's some NON RELIGIOUS, non-sectarian, non-important information: are you following me or am I supposed to follow you? Do you follow me? Do you feel me? Do I know what I'm talking about? I don't know. No. I don't care, if that's fair. I'm not saying much but there's not much to say. But... hey-

~=-°÷°-=~
<×-+¥+-×>
-•~•°°•~•-
∆^^^^^^^∆

Have a good day!
That's how I play.

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 05:26PM

It sure isn't about gaining converts.

In my thirty plus years as an active member in varies wards (outside Utah), I NEVER saw a "normal" family (Dad, Mom, and kids) baptized where Dad and/or Mom were educated and gainfully employed, and the kids were active in typical activities (sports, dance, cheer, band, etc.).

It was always singles or a Mom dragging her kids along (without Dad) ... often for either the social aspects or the welfare benefits, or both. And chances of them remaining active more than six months was pretty slim.

I will admit, I did have one family in one ward that were previously converted by family friends while living out in Utah...but not while in the same ward as me.

For a "church" that is run like a corporation (actually it is a corporation) that re-evaluates everything, this program is a dismal failure if the goal is to recruit people and should have been stopped decades ago!!! It's terrible ineffective, inefficient, and expensive (for both the church and the missionaries)

Date: September 15, 2020 04:39PM

You put it just right. I have a close relative who served as a mission president many years ago. His wife once told me, at the time, that none of the converts they were seeing were "normal." There was "something wrong" with all of them.

And of course we've all seen the recently baptized convert come to church for a few weeks or months, look isolated and awkward, and then stop attending. There is no bridge into the Mormon community.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 03:08AM

They are missing the point: The Mission! If they were taught to keep their ears open, and low to the ground, they might be able to hear what's missing. Truth Passion Flair Freedom Organics Flavor Humanity Humility Spontaneity Earthiness Spirituality Religion Jesus Christ God Goddess Reality Reason Connection Empathy Learning Helpfulness Thoughtfulness Togetherness and everything else or

When you act like you have something to teach the world (who knows it's hogwash) rather than learn from it, you are missing opportunities for growth and insight, and rather insulting your environment and yourself.

The point is if you don't know who you are, or what you really want and need, there will still be something missing. Even if you are trying to sell a lie, along with yourself.

Missions are Misery in Manifest, I guess. Misery Never Was Happiness, or something like that. Disappointing. Pressured. Toxic. Unhealthy...

Date: September 16, 2020 03:12AM

You certainly describe my mission, ufotofu.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 05:26PM

Lds youth went inactive once they turned 18 and left highschool. To keep the young people chase till they can get married they send them on missions right when the boys turn 18. To keep them active during earlier years they have early morning seminary starting age 14 before school starts every morning at 06:30am.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 05:30PM

A perfect mormon has completed all 4 years of early morning seminary. Has completed his eagle scout or if she is a woman got her young women emblem . After that serve a mission. Go to BYU study family and marriage Therapy get married at 21 in the temple and have a baby at age 22.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 05:39PM

It trains them to become Vivint salesmen, and assume you're going to put up their solar panels or install alarm systems the moment you open the door (even if you don't sign a contract).

Posted by: Janon ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 08:00PM

3. Can boys refuse? What are the consequences?

Yes, I did. They kept on pressurizing me as long as they could until I went inactive.

The consequence was that many people wouldn't accept my choice and put their fingers in their ears whenever I talked.

9. Do you take a break and take a plane and go back home?

They get Mondays off. These are called P Days. No flights except for emergencies.

11. Do you stop people in the streets and tell them about Mormon theology?

Yes, they do. A light version. "Milk before meat."

Posted by: Janon ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 08:03PM

Also 3 - girls are told to marry RMs, returned missionaries. If you are not an RM, it diminishes your mating options.

Date: September 13, 2020 08:59PM

Thank you. That is good stuff.

~~~~iceman9090

Date: September 16, 2020 03:13AM

So does mating inside your (closed) [religious confines] (extremely limited) CULTure.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 04:02PM

The point of missionary work is to bind the missionary physically and emotionally to the sponsering organization

Date: September 16, 2020 04:13AM

I TELL - Not ASK Them (they know better than calling and asking me) - What To Do, but they have to pay my standard consulting fee to demonstrate the difference between fact and fiction.

Fact Is Fact and Fiction Fiction

Fact Is Fact and Fiction Fiction

I'm a prophet
Just not called to be one
I'll make the call
That's all-

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 11:33AM

I will try to address some of these. For the most part, the church wants able bodies (and mentally sound) young men and women. They want people to be able to walk and ride bikes and the easy functionality of transferring (moving missionaries from place to place). I have to question whether doctors charged with performing medical physicals looked the other way and sent people with severe medical handicaps to serve a full-time mission.

I had two companions who had medical conditions that were questionable. One had torn ligaments and knee complications requiring arthroscopy. He wore two leg braces, made frequent trips to meet with a surgeon and had limitations of riding the bike (imagine riding a bike 4 blocks, walking for a half an hour then walking to a bus stop to go back to the apartment for lunch/rest. Then catching the late afternoon bus to retrieve the bikes which had been padlocked to a stop sign all day). Forgive me if I don't sound sympathetic to this elder's ailments, but I was suffering with similar injuries from playing HS football~ I needed the same procedures, but was told that I would me medically ineligible to serve a mission for 2 years while I recovered [this would have been unacceptable to my Mom who wanted a mormon missionary son at all costs]. I didn't understand why he didn't return home to deal with his mobility issues and it deeply affected his moods and ability to think.

The other one suffered from epilepsy with grand mal seizures. If it weren't for a kind zone leader who pulled me aside to alert me when I arrived on transfer day, I never would have known. Did the mission president ever alert me? No.

I eventually had a talk with him about what I needed to do because he had seizures frequently. He had one on Sunday and the entire branch freaked out. We ended up with 3 ambulances showing up with fire/search rescue vehicles. I forgot to add that he was placed on bikes by the previous mission president. Yes, he suffered bad accidents while riding and having a seizure. He was restricted to a mission vehicle and my mission president hated missionaries with restrictions.

I didn't have any companions with dental braces, but within my last year of my mission a group of newbies showed up wearing them. Must have been six or seven elders/sisters receiving active treatment. (The church is not against aesthetics by any means, they wanted young people to have straight smiles BEFORE they left. This was in case missionaries were sent to Timbuctoo). I needed treatment and would have to wait. Yes, I was envious that they were having their needs met while I was told to deny mine.

15. What if someone is mute?

Most likely encouraged to serve "day" missions within his/her town to spend a few hours with missionaries and his/her shadow/assistant. The church really doesn't like to accommodate people with special needs.

16. What if someone’s legs don’t function?

Again, most likely encouraged to stay close to their home. Probably serve a mini-mission (once a month) with missionaries in his/her area. The church isn't going to provide a modified van with wheelchair ramps just so a physically impaired missionary can knock doors/ring door bells.

17. What if clearly you are a problem case and you will likely not represent mormonism very well? Do they send their cream of the crop?

Probably not. If a person is considering joining (being baptized) but have unresolved concerns, then they will bring members, leaders and other missionaries to manipulate your feelings to join. A lot of "peer" pressure.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 19, 2020 11:38AM

Keep missing reality...

Distraction of focus

Controlled loss of support system

'Church' fulfilment

Walking billboards

Confusion, bewilderment

Brainwashing

Separation from environment

Punishment for following...

Appointing Missings to places they will be missed, and they'll miss

Disappointing...

Date: September 20, 2020 12:01AM

To keep the MISSIONARY from WORKing

Posted by: RavenQuoth ( )
Date: September 22, 2020 08:58PM

The classic purpose for missionaries in general is to alienate the target people from their real families and real beliefs, and to replace those with the religion that's being pushed on them.

Real missionaries are fully mature adults well-established in their own lives, and they often take their entire families with them, move to a foreign country for several years, and pervert and ruin as many people as they can, while also doing "humanitarian work" such as building schools, as a means of making the natives feel guilty for not being more grateful that their lives have been ruined.

Posted by: RavenQuoth ( )
Date: September 22, 2020 08:59PM

With Mormon so-called "missionaries", the target for alienation from their real family and real beliefs is not foreign gentiles, it's all the other missionaries. The whole group forms a self-policing "mutual alienation unit" to separate each young person from their conscience and break their loyalty to the people who love them. The stupid ones come home with no conscience and no love - perfect preparation for becoming Mormon leaders. The smart ones come home broken and in permanent untouchable despair.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.