Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 07, 2020 11:23PM

I know I should have one and I've been very diligent in the past about it. But, it is also one of the high risk things to do and I've been very cautious about staying away from those situations.

Anyone have experience lately as to how your dentist is protecting their patients ?

TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 08, 2020 12:15AM

My ex works for a dentist and she explained to me the safety measures dentists go through. I would feel safe going to a dentist.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: September 08, 2020 12:49AM

I had my regularly scheduled cleaning and exam the first week of June. The appointment was original scheduled for in April, but the COVID shut things down.

The receptionist and office help were all separated from each other, they were wearing masks and the there were plastic screens between them and the patients.

The dental hygienist had a gown on, gloves, head covering and a face mask with a cloth guard over her mouth and a plastic eye shield.

Otherwise things were done like any other appointment.

Payment was without any cross touching of the credit card, I inserted the card in the reader and authorized the payment. They would email the receipt and the date for the next appointment.

One other thing, there was only two other patients in the waiting area while normally there would be 6-8 people.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 08, 2020 09:32AM

My concern is that some of the equipment (high speed drill, sprays, etc.) creates aerosol. The patient's mouth is open and aerosols are being created from all the patients.

Sure, the masks the staff wear and disinfectants are important.

I think air systems vary and attempts (e.g. patient mouth cleaned with hydrogen peroxide prior to treatment) to avoid aerosols are taken, but I have not followed up on how effective or risky this might be. I've not heard of people getting COVID infections from dental aerosols but that seems as big a risk as touching things to me.

I have not kept current with ADA updates and COVID experts for the latest data and advice. Maybe dentists here might share the current practice.

Teeth are important. Not addressing dental needs might be the bigger risk.

Posted by: Lumberjack ( )
Date: September 08, 2020 11:29AM

My wife is a dental hygienist. She has been very diligent in learning all she can about Covid-19 in the last few months.
Her recommendation is for you to ask the dental office about the safety measures they are taking. If you are getting a cleaning she strongly believes that they should NOT be using the ultrasonic device. It will spray aerosols throughout the room that will stick around for a while. Both she and I recently did get our teeth cleaned, but we were the first patients of the day on a Monday. And the hygienist used only hand instruments.
If the dentist, hygienist, and assistants are wearing proper PPE she believes that the risk to the patient is low. But, some offices are taking this more seriously than others. I had an invasive procedure performed on me in April by my periodontist who was wrapped in every conceivable form of PPE. Everything turned out just fine.
My wife also just pointed out that you should take into account the number of Covid 19 cases in your area. She also believes that if you can be the first patient of the day that gives you a bit of an advantage.

Date: September 08, 2020 01:17PM

I did get a response to my email to my dentist about their precautions. I am going to ask about the hand instruments for cleaning and not any high speed drills, etc.

Your responses have been very helpful. Thank you

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: September 09, 2020 04:25AM

I go every 4 months, Keep my chops in working condition. Dentist and employees and patients and no one has covid. They keep their stuff sterilized covid or not

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 09, 2020 12:10PM

gemini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Anyone have experience lately as to how your dentist is protecting their patients ?
>
> TIA

By not having patience, or patients.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 05:50PM

I went to my twice-yearly checkup today, and it felt safe. There was a temperature check at the door, and my hygienist and dentist had both masks and face shields on. Thankfully it was just a quick visit this time -- a cleaning and checkup. I had the x-rays and gum check done back in February. I would go again.

Date: September 14, 2020 05:57PM

Thanks for that report, summer. I am almost convinced that I could safely get this cleaning and checkup. I'll report back.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 11:45PM

I'm waaaaay overdue. And that's how imma stay for now.

Location. Location. Location.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 02:43AM

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 06:16AM

Our dentists also use all the precautions mentioned.

One better: our neighborhoood dentists have all the patients wait in their cars in the parking lot, instead of in the waiting room.

My appointments were the first on a Monday morning, too.

I had a filling fall out, too, and decided it was wisest to go immediately, rather than wait. I was also overdue for a teeth cleaning. That was back when there were 9 cases that day in Utah. Now there are 1,000 cases, and I'm glad I got it over with. Go NOW, because the COVID will only get worse.

I also asked my dentist to not switch back and forth between patients, as he and most other dentists do.

That was last June and July, and I'm still healthy.

I didn't like the dentist and assistant talking and laughing while they were hovering over me. Their paper masks were too loose-fitting. The hygenist was sneezing and coughing a lot, but she assured me that she was not sick. HOW DID SHE KNOW THAT, when some people are asymptomatic? Also, a normal temperature says nothing, when they are asymptomatic.

My granddaughter had an absessed tooth, and she had to go to the dentist three weeks ago to have it pulled, and she's fine.

Yeah, going to the dentist or the doctor is scary to germ-phobes like me, but everyone assures us that it is safe. I have been to the dentist during many flu seasons, too, and haven't caught a flu, or even a cold at the dentist--ever.

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 04:30AM

I had a regular check up plus scale and polish last week. Luckily I live where we don't have the virus in the community...currently 3 active cases, all returned Aussies and all are in mandatory 14 day hotel quarantine.
My dentist wore what he usually does..a mask that has a clear plastic bit that covers his eyes...his assistant wore a mask. That was it...the receptionist didn't wear a mask, I didn't while in the waiting area or, for that matter, on the train I took to reach the city centre.
I realise just how lucky I am to live here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.