Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: September 12, 2020 10:54PM

Who is going to church? How do they like it? My cousin is going to church they get assigned when they can go (every couple of weeks) and they are assigned with who they are going (someone is making a family ration system to keep it small). My cousin thinks it is so wonderful and very inspired. For my cousin this covid church experience has been faith building. My mother on the other hand has not been to church since March she is almost 70 years old and rather not go to church right now. What have you heard? How are the wards changed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 12, 2020 11:14PM

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 12, 2020 11:27PM

Friday the church allowed live streaming of services except for the sacrament part.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 12:45AM

My Son's ward divided the ward in half and each half goes every other Sunday. They only hold sacrament meeting and it is 35 minutes long.

Posted by: Polly Unsaturated ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 04:24PM

Wow! How did they divide the ward in half? Is it an alphabetical division? Or geographical? How did they decide who is in which half?

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 06:18PM

He told me it was alphabetically.

Posted by: Polly Unsaturated ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 09:52PM

Thanks

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 03:21PM

Well that's good. I wouldn't want to be caught dead in the same room as the Zampedris!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 12:49AM

Less than before. My mother has enjoyed staying home so far this year (for the first time in decades). I am sure many older, and younger, and in-between, members feel the same way.

We can't go to church. They won't let us. Church doesn't exist? These men don't talk to God. Hell, they ONLY talk to the members, many of whom aren't listening.

People are learning/ remembering they can have spiritual experiences wherever they are (from the convenience [or inconvenience] of their own [or rent or squat or surf] home), though they are usually not all there anyway.

People can sleep better at home. Eat whenever they want. Have peace and quiet whenever they want (SUNDAYS?).

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 12:58AM

moremany Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...they can have
> spiritual experiences wherever they are (from the
> convenience of their own home), though they are
> usually not all there anyway.
>
> People can sleep better at home. Eat whenever they
> want. Have peace and quiet whenever they want
> (SUNDAYS?).

True in my Baptist situation. We finally got back to corporate meetings (not just COVID-1984, but our church was wiped out in APril by a freak flood!), practicing masking and social (but not spiritual!) distancing. Then whad'ya know? A few of our seniors tested positive! So we went back to three weeks of Facebook Live, plus a business Zoom meeting.

We're back to regular attendance today. I keep threatening to show up in PJs and robe.

Date: September 13, 2020 02:15AM

lol

It sounds more comfortable.

Stay safe and keep having fun!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 05:40PM

Except for one, those seniors turned out to be either false positives or very fast recoveries. Along with one who tested positive a second time, they're staying home for now "in an abundance of caution," as they say.

"Abundantly cautious?" Where's Grammar Cop when I need him!

Meanwhile, we're meeting in a VFW hall while we put our church building back together. With volunteer work, we've got the $$ down from a gross estimate of about $500K to the upper $200's. Nobody was "called" i.e. summoned. Volunteers from other churches have come forward. I mention this as an illustration of what happens when members are not manipulated or guilted.

Date: September 13, 2020 06:22PM

I meant PJs & Robe being more comfortable... lol

True about volunteering.

Positive vibrations

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 05:41PM

church ?

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 12:21PM

In the Tuscaloosa third ward weve had in person sacrament meeting for about 10 weeks.masks are worn and every other pew is roped off. SS is still held on zoom.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 12:28PM

How to split the ward for attendance?

Easy. Those with TRs attend the morning service.

Those without have to wait until the afternoon, and will have to stay after and clean the building.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 12:32PM

I am 84 and I am not sure if I want to congregate yet.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 01:16PM

You're not as old as Elvis.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 01:27PM

My wife hasn't yet and they are doing church every other week! Yeah for me!

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 07:37PM

My Lutheran church just started meeting in a park in the amphitheater. It holds more people than the entire congregation. However, they are taping the service and streaming it on Monday for viewing as you wish. Communion is basically BYOB. No passing anything. If you are home they remind you to pause the video and go grab a cracker and something to drink. One week I took communion using a chocolate donut & ice tea. I watch if I want.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 09:20PM

Never again...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.