Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 04:25PM

Your world view, (truth, cosmology, or "most tennable existential foothold")
Consider answering the "Big Questions" asked by Hawking in his final book, Brief Answers to The Big Questions,
Is there a god/heaven?
Where did we come from or IOW How did life begin?
Why am I here?
What is "life"?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2020 12:48AM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 04:32PM

Life is an elephant and sometimes you're on top, enjoying the view, and sometimes the elephant is pooping on you. Imma start calling life, "The Elephant-Shaped Curve".

Okay, now that I've said my piece, go ahead and tell us your conclusions, which is the whole point of this thread...

Date: September 13, 2020 04:49PM

I agree with Stephen Hawking, 99.9%.
The 1/10th of 1% is where I believe "life" probably arrived on Earth from elsewhere, probably a comet, a frozen ocean from another planet that got hit by a moon sized asteroid, which flung all kinds of bacteria and viruses into outer space. They landed here about 3 billion years ago, about 800,000 000 years after Earth "formed".
Or it could have been just viruses, which are not technically "alive" yet they have RNA and operating systems, software, all the information you need to couple with another RNA to make a strand of DNA.
Viola,
Life

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 04:54PM

May I interest you in a slightly used copy of the Book of Abraham?

Date: September 13, 2020 05:01PM

People say that's a cop out because it doesn't explain how life "began".
But I think it does.
If viruses are capable of reproducing by identifying a host, attaching to the host, injecting a single strand of RNA into a bacteria, snipping that bacterias Double Helix of DNAin half, creating a perfect match to the virus RNA, Then zipping them together to create a fully operating double helix of cloned DNA, with complete operating control of a protein making machine, and the capability to clone 100 copies of complete copies of itself, with slightly edited RNA to adapt to environmental conditions,
What makes you believe they can't do even more mind blowing things, like combine two virus RNA' helix to form a complete DOUBLE HELIX OF DNA,
With the complete instructions for creating life?
And the ability to create any king of DNA based protein sack, including you and me?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2020 05:03PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: September 13, 2020 05:06PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with Stephen Hawking, 99.9%.
> The 1/10th of 1% is where I believe "life"
> probably arrived on Earth from elsewhere, probably
> a comet, a frozen ocean from another planet that
> got hit by a moon sized asteroid, which flung all
> kinds of bacteria and viruses into outer space.
> They landed here about 3 billion years ago, about
> 800,000 000 years after Earth "formed".
> Or it could have been just viruses, which are not
> technically "alive" yet they have RNA and
> operating systems, software, all the information
> you need to couple with another RNA to make a
> strand of DNA.
> Viola,
> Life

Viola = big violin. Voilà is what you were looking for. Ordinarily I do not mention grammar or spelling, but this one hurt!

If the meteor strike 'explodes' big pieces of ocean into space, and the pieces of ocean become comets that seed other planets, why not imagine tuna, mackeral, clams and Polynesians frozen in the comet?

See, that's how we got octopi, and that 1983 James Bond movie!

Date: September 13, 2020 05:09PM

Might I interest you in a slightly used copy of the Book of Abraham?

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 09:19PM

I got some tokens that I got in the temple that have been up for sale for years now. No one wants them, even for free.

Date: September 14, 2020 12:46AM

elderolddog Wrote:
>
>
> Viola = big violin. Voilà is what you were
> looking for. Ordinarily I do not mention grammar
> or spelling, but this one hurt!
>
Pardon my French, but WTF are you the spelling Nazi?

> If the meteor strike 'explodes' big pieces of
> ocean into space, and the pieces of ocean become
> comets that seed other planets, why not imagine
> tuna, mackeral, clams and Polynesians frozen in
> the comet?
>
> See, that's how we got octopi, and that 1983 James
> Bond movie!

I don't know how long Tuna, Mackeral, clams or Polynesians can last frozen on ice, but there are plenty of lifeforms that could survive inter planetary travel frozen on ice, like Tardigrades (waterbears) the only species that has survived in outer space without protection. They can also withstand 10,000 times the radiation it takes to kill humans and survive pressures 6 x's greater than the Marianas Trench, which means they had to evolve on a planet with pressure 6 times greater than anything on Earth.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/05/the-amazing-tardigrade-the-toughest-known-creature-on-earth-and-beyond/#:~:text=For%20reference%2C%20besides%20surviving%20the,deepest%20point%20in%20the%20ocean.

They also survived the 5 great extinctions.

There are thousands on the moon.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/moon-tardigrades-future.html

Date: September 14, 2020 01:10AM

> which means they had to
> evolve on a planet with pressure 6 times greater
> than anything on Earth.

That's the teleological fallacy. You presume that if a feature exists, it was evolutionarily necessary. Yet natural selection does not work that way: if a trait appears for whatever reason, including chance, but does not endanger the organism, that trait remains.

You can't argue from ultimate function to evolutionary cause. Otherwise one might claim that the human brain evolved in order to produce Facebook.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 04:44PM

"worldview" = opinion

Date: September 13, 2020 04:51PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> "worldview" = opinion

Actually what I meant were the truths that guide your decisions in life.

Date: September 13, 2020 06:17PM

So if you think it's true, then that makes it true?

Cuz otherwise 'opinion' is exactly the word you're looking for!

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 04:59PM

Some of my views of the world:

"There's a center of the universe and it ain't me. It ain't you either."

"It doesn't matter whether the glass is half-empty or half-full. All glasses start empty and end empty. Changing the name of the halfway mark won't make you start puking rainbows and shitting sunshine."

"Humanity can be wonderful and kind. When it wants to."

"I am not the Dickweed Whisperer."

"There's an overabundance of bastards in this world. Try to be one of the good guys."

Sure it's over five sentences and doesn't contain the answer to life, the universe, everything (BTW, it's "42"), but you asked for my worldview.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2020 05:13PM by ookami.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 05:05PM

I have all those answers ---- it's worth the 'personal search'!!! It has very little to do with the 'religions' in the world today!

Good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2020 05:07PM by spiritist.

Date: September 13, 2020 05:09PM

I, too, have The Answers. I stayed very still and they came and curled up around me, wanting to be scratched and petted.

I am The Answer Whisperer!

Date: September 13, 2020 05:17PM

> I, too, have The Answers. I stayed very still and
> they came and curled up around me, wanting to be
> scratched and petted.

That's just the DTs.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 04:22PM

Another one I forgot to post: "Anyone who says they have all the answers will lie about little things too."

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 05:42PM

God is not a Mormon and mormonism is a fraud. Other then that, not many changes since I resigned.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 05:51PM

My world view is that I don't have those question. The answers don't matter to me. I'm here, I'm living, I enjoy what I can and deal with the crap when necessary. I guess this is what they call "being in the moment" or "living in the now." Whatever it is, I'm much happier than I was when I was obliged to worry about those questions.

Date: September 13, 2020 05:57PM

olderelder Wrote:
> I guess this is what they call
> "being in the moment" or "living in the now."

Getting close to Taoism and Zen Buddhism there, some would call it the heart of a robust if unconventional cosmology.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 07:08PM

I'm aware it's rather Buddhist/Taoist, but I don't go all the way down that path. :)

Date: September 13, 2020 07:32PM

Yes, but the literal Taoism and Buddhism are so inchoate, so non-doctrinal, that "they" wouldn't care whether you apply the label or not. It's a good place to be.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 06:03PM

You definitely have a major portion of what I 'believe' to be accurate.

'Living in the now' is one great partial response to 'why we are here'!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 06:08PM

Science describes my universe
The golden rule describes my morality

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 06:14PM

My views are still Christian. It's the easiest and most straight forward way of thinking.

"Where did we come from or IOW How did life begin?" We came from the Garden of Eden. Man formed from the dust, his Helper from a rib.

"Why am I here?" because they made love and tried to replenish the Earth, like all species do.

"What is "life"?" consciousness

Date: September 13, 2020 06:23PM

macaRomney Wrote:
> My views are still Christian. It's the easiest and
> most straight forward way of thinking.
>

Exactly!!!! Christians are all of one mind, they live together in complete unity, peace and harmony, making sure to do unto others before the others can do unto them, those rotten ...

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 07:45PM

I view the world through my eyes... and listen to it through my ears.

Is that two answers or one? Was that another question?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 11:31PM

Man, I love the '80s.

https://youtu.be/nhZdL4JlnxI

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 07:53PM

My world view (at least for today):

We don't get to know the answers to the big questions, so quit making stuff up.

Humans are highly overrated (by themselves).

Be kind. Life is hard.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 09:24PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:

> Is there a god/heaven?
No evidence of such

> Where did we come from or IOW How did life begin?
The evidence was likely destroyed in the early heavy bombardment period. Lacking evidence, I see no reason to endorse a particular view. I like silicate carbon substitution but that's no reason to preach it.

> Why am I here?
No reason.

> What is "life"?
This is still poorly defined/understood. We need more/better evidence. I can wait for such.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 09:28PM

I mean LATE heavy bombardment.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 10:28PM

+schrodingerscat:
1. “Is there a god/heaven?”

==To me, god is a meaningless word. It means many things to many people. Some ancient cultures were into animism: The idea that the wind has a spirit or a god, that the Sun has a spirit or a god, you get the idea.
Modern science blows this away.
Air is composed of molecules of nitrogen, oxygen, CO2, argon, methane, neon, and so on.
Wind just means a large number of these molecules are moving in the same direction.

Some ancient cultures think of their god as a human king with superpowers. The jews were this type of culture.
Modern science blows this away.
The universe is not 6000 y old. The Earth is not 6000 y old.

You could claim that some advanced alien civilizations someone started up this universe I suppose.
I assume that this universe is not artificial.
I assume that life on this planet is not artificial.

“Where did we come from or IOW How did life begin?”

==You are talking about abiogenesis. There are several hypothesis. Let’s set abiogenesis aside for a moment and explore chemistry.
The first step is to take a look at the periodic table of elements. Which element has a vast, a huge amount of possibilities? That would be carbon. This is because carbon is capable of concatenation. This means that carbon can form stable C to C single bonds, stable C to C double bonds, stable C to C triple bonds.
It can easily bond with hydrogen as well and form hydrocarbons.
No other element comes close.
Silicon and germanium sort of come close but it is difficult to do concatenation. It is difficult to form long chains of silicon atoms.
There is methane, which is CH4. The equivalent to this is silane, SiH4.
Carbon has an electronegativity of 2.6 while hydrogen is 2.2. This means that the electron cloud is nearer to the carbon atom and thus, carbon is slightly negative and so, for some reason, this prevents CH4 from reacting with water.
In the case of silicon, its electronegativity is 1.8. This means that in the case of SiH4, the electron cloud is nearer to the 4 hydrogens and thus, silicon is slightly positive.
SiH4 reacts with H2O and there is an abundant amount of H2O in nature. In other words, you can’t have SiH4 in nature.
Once carbon reacts with hydrogen and you get CH4 and the higher alkanes such as C2H6, it is no longer a problem. It can contact water or oxygen and other compounds at room temperature and they are stable.
The lakes of methane and ethane have probably been on Titan for a few million years.

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_(moon)

The atmosphere of Titan is largely nitrogen; minor components lead to the formation of methane and ethane clouds and heavy organonitrogen haze. The climate—including wind and rain—creates surface features similar to those of Earth, such as dunes, rivers, lakes, seas (probably of liquid methane and ethane), and deltas, and is dominated by seasonal weather patterns as on Earth. With its liquids (both surface and subsurface) and robust nitrogen atmosphere, Titan's methane cycle is analogous to Earth's water cycle, at the much lower temperature of about 94 K (−179.2 °C; −290.5 °F).

There are other problems with silicon. Once it combines with oxygen, you get SiO2 and it is a solid with a high melting point. It is a pretty inert substance and insoluble in water. It forms silicates with metal oxides which are also inert and insoluble in water.

At least in the case of carbon, its oxide is a gas and can take part in chemical reactions.

“Why am I here?”

==Why do I have a watch? I need it to tell time.
Why do I have a VCR. To watch my VHS tapes.
Those are tools that I use.
I do not believe that I am a tool. Well, my arms are tools that I use. My eyes are also tools that I use.

“What is "life"?”’

==Biological machines, I guess.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 11:59PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
> Your world view, (truth, cosmology, or "most
> tennable existential foothold")
> Consider answering the "Big Questions" asked by
> Hawking in his final book, Brief Answers to The
> Big Questions,
> Is there a god/heaven?
> Where did we come from or IOW How did life begin?
> Why am I here?
> What is "life"?
Read the sixth tablet of "The Lost Book of Enki"
quit putting down everything that does not confirm you present bias!

Date: September 14, 2020 01:12AM

TDR,

You ask people, many of whom have read the Sumerian and Akkadian classics in credible translations, to set those aside and adopt the pseudo-translations of a charlatan.

Why would we do that?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 01:25AM

Maybe for the same reason people believe in Joe Smith's "translation" of the BoA. Because they want to ... even if it is demonstrably false.

But I doubt there are many readers of this board, who having seen through the fraud of Joe Smith, are going to buy into the fraud of Sitchin.

Date: September 14, 2020 02:39PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> TDR,
>
> You ask people, many of whom have read the
> Sumerian and Akkadian classics in credible
> translations, to set those aside and adopt the
> pseudo-translations of a charlatan.
>
> Why would we do that?
I personally do not believe that he was a charlatan. However I say let everybody believe what they want to.
so why are we arguing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2020 02:41PM by thedesertrat1.

Date: September 14, 2020 02:41PM

Have you ever read other translations of those documents?

You should.

Date: September 14, 2020 02:06PM

Is there a god/heaven?
It depends upon how you define the word, god/heaven. Obviously there's a heaven, everything above earth's atmosphere is what we call 'heaven', but in reality, it's hell out there. We have it upside down. This here is paradise, in this incredibly thin and fragile membrane in between heaven and the hell that is below us, where the center of the Earth is hotter than the surface of the sun.
But as far as 'god' goes, if you mean the invisible old super man in the sky who looks and sounds suspiciously like Santa Claus, then no. I quit believing in that God on 9-11, when he failed to show up. But if you use the word, 'god' the way Einstein did, to mean "Nature" then yes. I believe there is such a thing that we call "Nature" and she's alive and well.

Where did we come from or IOW How did life begin?

Nature created us. Most likely through abiogenesis, transpermia or panspermia.

Why am I here?

To live. To gain consciousness. To create. to evolve. to die and turn back into nutrient for the far more important species on this planet.

What is "life"?

Life is why we are here, to live.
Life is what differentiates us from inanimate objects.

Date: September 14, 2020 02:31PM

This is, for me, painful...

Now I miss missing you.

Date: September 16, 2020 07:43PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
> Life is what differentiates us from inanimate
> objects.

Don't tell that to the atoms.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 04:03PM

It is very true what J. Krishnamurti said:

"A mind that is full of conclusions is a dead mind.
A living mind is a free mind, learning, never concluding."

If practice this open-ness, the life experience is very much like:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PD2XgQOyCCk

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 11:30PM

It's gonna get warmer before it gets colder, and there will in all likelihood be another ice age. Current politics and the pervasive need to hate the other guy may end us all sooner than later. If the Yellowstone Supervolcano blows, all whole lot of us will be toast...me included. I will never buy anything made by Tesla.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 02:02PM

I had a girlfriend once, but she dumped me for a tractor salesman....
she sent me a John Deere letter.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 02:30PM

Getting smaller every day.

Date: September 15, 2020 02:37PM

Yes, but what does that have to do with your world view?

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 03:25PM

To a high degree it shapes my expectations and determines more and what is really important and yet my life is full of hope that the best is yet to be.

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 09:51PM

Is there a god?
No evidence. That being said, if god exists, he’s a prick. The universe is a cold, hard place. And earth? So god thinks it’s ok to create fires, Hurricanes, plagues, war, cancer, putting kids in cages, etc. Yeah. No.

Are humans the jewel of creation? Um no. Animals at the top of the food chain who often choose self destructive paths.

Why am I here? Roll of the cosmic dice.

My spiritual worldview? Be kind. Take only what you need. Don’t $h!] where you eat.

Posted by: KentishMTYJK ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 10:25PM

Isn't it great we can have differing opinions without having to justify them to anyone but ourselves.

Posted by: Yor ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 07:04AM

My view is that the great questions are not that great. They may be unknowable, and even if answers could be found, they will not end the suffering which inevitably follows from having been born into this world. I must still experience what I don't want, and lose/never obtain what I do want. I don't know how life started, but I know that my life and the life of everyone I love will certainly end.

I see you,
hear you
call your name.
You die
and now there's just
the name.

I find it is better to work on happiness in the here and now, rather than spending my life speculating how I got here, or if someone sent me here with a purpose. Why should I even care about that?

I can try to practice kindness in the here and now, which makes both myself and others happy when I succeed. Should there be an afterlife, having been kind surely will not hurt, and if there's no afterlife, everyone still benefits from trying to be kind and compassionate human beings in this life.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 08:48AM

Basically, I've come to realize that the only real truth is that we just don't know. We discover new things about those questions all the time, but we have a long way to go. There may be some things for which we will never have the answers. But it's okay to embrace the mystery of it all. The search for those answers is fascinating.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 17, 2020 03:53PM

I'm with you, Greyfort, we just don't know for sure. And it's okay to not know. I don't worry about it anymore.

Posted by: 2020 Visions ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 08:58AM

I suspect we are in a form of Hell or purgatory with occasional respite. The Demons are all around us, usually in the forms of NPC type figures or bureaucrats, who are there to purify us of our sins using giant pitchforks.

Strap in for the ride, it's going to get worse.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: September 17, 2020 03:19PM

Everything is relative. The story is told of a man who died and went to hell. He found himself with numerous others, standing on tip toe in a vile smelling sewer-like lake, the putrid water reaching up to just below their lips. Turning to his closest companion he said:

"I guess it could be worse. We can at least keep our mouths out of the muck." To which his companion said:

"Just wait till the guy in the speed boat comes around."

Date: September 17, 2020 03:42PM

"NPC" is an alt-right insult, the mindless jargon Jordan is wont to spew.

Date: September 18, 2020 12:31AM

Jordan's back. Just like herpes.

Date: September 18, 2020 12:36AM

I counted about four new names early this morning, all coming in at the same time and with similar writing styles.

Herpes indeed.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 10:12AM

The purpose of life is to get each other through all this, whatever "all this" turns out to be.

Date: September 16, 2020 03:58PM

I don't GOTS NONE and I Ain't gonna getz none

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 17, 2020 03:47PM

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 12:24AM

- "god" is "the big electron", doesn't judge, just is
- Why are we here? "Plastic, a**hole."
- The planet isn't going anywhere. WE ARE! (Like all other species. ALL of them.)

George Carlin: Save the planet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.