Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: September 13, 2020 11:43PM

I think it's almost criminal that TSCC owns the Mountain Meadows, property, including the site of the massacre. But I am glad that the victims' descendants have hung on as tenaciously as they have over the years, and I'm glad the property now has designated National Landmark status!

I've never been there, but would love to see it one day.

For those of you who have been to the site of the Mountain Meadows Massacre, I'd love to hear your perspectives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2020 11:47PM by Gordon B. Stinky.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 01:11AM

I would too. I've been to Joseph, the sphinx, Smith in Gilgal Gardens in SLC though.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 11:47AM

I've been to Mountain Meadows several times. There is an aura of sadness that hangs over the place. Even though I'm skeptical of spirits from beyond, there is something about Mountain Meadows that causes me to wonder.
The interpretive plaques really don't tell the complete story of the massacre very well. If a person visits the site with no background, they likely will leave with little understanding of the tragedy. Juanita Brooks book and some of the more recent books tell the story so much better.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 06:09PM

Most definitely there is an aura of sadness about the place. I was travelling in southern Utah with a friend who has had zero connection to Mormonism. I managed to persuade him to take a detour to the site and we spent some time there taking in the stillness and loneliness of the place. My friend was quite moved by the experience and he related that in some way he identified with the victims since around that time his own ancestors left a wagon train on the Oregon trail near present day Baker City Oregon to homestead nearby. He had grown up on that very land with many stories of the hopes and dreams of his ancestors. Probably the same hopes and dreams the Fancher party had dashed at MM.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: September 14, 2020 06:11PM

A windswept, lonely, wordless place

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 12:51AM

Thanks for sharing your perspectives.
One day I hope to visit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.