Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forester ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 08:21PM

At the audacity and greed of my TBM family. My sister and her 6 children have not spoken to me in years and they have never acknowledged wedding/holiday gifts or money I have given to them for college.

Today I received an announcement that my oldest nephew and his wife are expecting a baby and to please help them celebrate by sending them a gift or a card. A registry site is given at the bottom. All I can say is wow- how ballsy is that to solicit a gift from the one their mother once said she hopes rots in hell.

My husband said I should tell them to ask to see if their multi billion $ church could spare some cash.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 08:40PM

Send them a quarter. "This is how much you mean to me."

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 15, 2020 09:17PM

Did the announcement come by mail?

Maybe it never arrived ;)

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 12:12AM

Greedy mormon family has stopped shocking me. I was contacted a couple of years ago by one I NEVER got along with and hadn't had contact with for over 35 years. For money of course.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 12:18AM

Posted by: forester ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 01:20AM

I have never met my nephew’s wife- I didn’t want to spend money on a plane ticket to attend their backyard picnic wedding reception several years ago (I, being an apostate, was not invited to the temple wedding). The baby announcement was not in my sister’s handwriting or sent from her address in Spanish Fork. The return address was Pleasant Grove so I think maybe my nephew’s mother-in-law sent the announcement to everyone who was on the reception invite list.

Still Utah tacky no matter the sender- I have never received anything like that from my California TBM relatives.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 01:47AM

They NEVER tell me of anything until months after the event.

My sister's daughter's son was a year or two old before I knew of it.
My sister's son's marriage was announced on the internet, with a link to a page of wedding pictures. Not a single word about who the bride was, how they met, where they would live...nada.

When a few of my adult children (the nephew's cousins) were in town, I offered to send the bunch out as a "generational get-together" at a nice restaurant on my credit card. Only then was I told that my nephew's wife was pregnant and not up to it. And they live local!

At least, just yesterday, my daughter connected with him, and we had a nice front-yard chat, gave them a few presents and took some pictures. But Christian Scientists (at least the ones I come from) can be very strangely stand-offish.

(At least they don't ask me for money!)

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 11:45AM

I just got an announcement for one of my TBM Great Nephews wedding reception. No invite to the wedding because I can't attend by choice with my exmo status. Of course there was a registry listed for gifts.

I've never met this relative, wouldn't know each other on the street. I don't sent gifts or money when I get these from my mormon relatives and I get them every year or so.

I know almost all the relatives in my wifes never-mo family so we always send a check.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 12:04PM

I followed proper wedding etiquette and sent out thank you notes for every gift received. More than one member approached me and thanked me for sending out the notes. Many told me that I was the first person to have done so in YEARS!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 05:35PM

I have two married grandchildren living in Utah. The bank has photos of the cancelled checks. Of course seeing the amounts disappear from my balance let me know they'd been cashed, but it's nice to know that if I wanted to see the kids' signatures I just have to log onto my account.

A note or call from the kids? No.

But I understand that this is not just a mormon thing. Apparently they don't have to say thank you for something they 'earned' by being a descendant.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 12:46PM

A former brother-in-law had a last name that's common in the Mormon corridor. He bragged that he sent high school graduation announcements to everyone with the same last name in any Utah phonebook he could get his hands on.

A lot of the strangers must've wondered, "Is this John and Mary's boy, or Bill and Betty's?" "I don't know. Just send him ten bucks or something."

He made several hundred dollars.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 03:57PM

I'm amazed that at 84 1/2 I can still stand at all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2020 04:02PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: September 16, 2020 04:44PM

If they've been accepting money and gifts from you, despite being the hated one in the family and never even saying "thank you," I think that sending them something with the Swabian Salute* would be appropriate.

*German phrase attributed to Götz von Berlichingen, though it may have been something Goethe created for the play based on Götz's life. In High German it's "Leck mich am Arsch!"

Posted by: Embittered Sucker ( )
Date: September 17, 2020 06:29AM

Mormonism doesn't have a monopoly on these things. I went to the wedding of a Nevermo school friend, and got a gift off their list. It was a fancy barbeque, worth several thousand. I bought them it, and have never heard from them since. That was at least twenty years ago.

Before the wedding they wouldn't leave me alone and were in contact every week. I didn't do anything bad at the wedding... But things went quiet after the gifts went out...

I feel pretty bilked. The marriage business is largely an expensive scam.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 17, 2020 06:56AM

WOW. I would never even think to ask for something that expensive and return it if I got it. That is just way way WAY too much money. I wouldn't take it from my bff, my family. I would only even think about getting it as a "gift" from DH if it was something we had decided on together.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.