Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Russell Mallard ( )
Date: September 17, 2020 11:38AM

I've lost count of how many people have claimed to "translated" the Sealed Portion of the Book of Mormon.

Here's some info on the latest guy, a man from Brazil:

http://salemthoughts.com/Topics/Plates.shtml

You would think that someone looking to pull this scam would just make another record instead of limiting his audience of potential marks to the tiny number of Mormons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 17, 2020 11:48AM

"Denver Snuffer had a blog post where he called the Brazilian plates Bogus." That is good enough for me. LOL

These guys have done a more thorough job in fabricating their scam. They have 3 witnesses then 8 witnesses and people testifying to the truthiness of these witnesses. What more could you want? I guess you could ask for more witnesses. Well your want is granted, so there are the 13th, 14th, 15th and (to top it off) the 16th witness as well. The craziness never ends.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 17, 2020 12:20PM

Apparently, regular Mormonism isn't crazy enough for some people.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 17, 2020 12:21PM

People prefer FRESH craziness, perhaps...

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 17, 2020 12:42PM

All these translations, and STILL no good recipe for curelom stew.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 17, 2020 01:41PM

Nice!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 17, 2020 02:51PM

You mean you've tasted it, Lot's Wife? Do tell ;-)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 17, 2020 02:53PM

Be good, Tom in Paris.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 17, 2020 01:40PM

Yup. I've got a translated portion of something that never existed. Sounds legit.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: September 17, 2020 03:07PM

I have a brown egg shaped rock. I have a hat. And yet when I try to translate, I get nothing.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 01:20AM

Russell Mallard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've lost count of how many people have claimed to
> "translated" the...

> You would think that someone looking to pull this scam would just make another record instead of limiting his audience of potential marks to the tiny number of Mormons.
>

Sounds like Joseph's "Myth Of The Mormons".

Posted by: Eastbourne ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 10:25AM

Something is wrong here.

Smith and these dudes want us to believe that God intervened in human history by sending a heavenly messenger with written-upon plates containing true gospel, but then depends on a human to translate them?

Give me a break. If God is going to intervene, s/he's notgoing to risk a mis-translation. Regardless of what ChurchCo wants you to believe, God has access to paper, and can deliver a correct translation.

ChurchCo's BoM is the world's first comic book.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 19, 2020 12:05PM

Eastbourne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Something is wrong here.
> ...
> ChurchCo's BoM is the world's first comic book.

Except the pictures -and story line - are terrible. If you tore out every page of BS there would be nothing left.

Posted by: RavenQuoth ( )
Date: September 22, 2020 03:41PM

Think about the Harry Potter fans who internet-publish their own variations and add-ons to the series, often with same-named characters acting in ways the original characters would never act, often ignoring and misunderstanding the original plot and original meaning, sometimes making a brave effort to copy the style but other times ignoring that too...

Magic Holy Pedophile Joe wasn't writing a comic book - he was writing fan fiction of the Bible. (So was J.K. Rowling, but the Harry Potter religion is a far more worthy and valid church than Mormonism has ever been.)

And in all these cases, since the original Bible is all fiction too, why not?

Posted by: Brazilian Mary ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 09:22AM

I have friends/acquaintances that joined this group in Brazil.

They have nothing but a handful of faithful followers, but some of them have gone as far as moving across the country to live near the new "prophet"...

The funny thing is that they have recently started teaching about reincarnation. (As if this new prophet were a reincarnation of Joseph Smith...) At least they are original. lol A "prophet" that actually comes up with new stuff, instead of rehashing the same old baloney General Conference after General Conference for the last 100 years. LOL

I kind of feel sorry for these people, but if they are happy... It just blows my mind. If I no longer believe in the original golden plates (clearly a fabrication of conman Joseph Smith), let alone a 21st-century byproduct thereof.

(Same for Jesus. I don't even believe in a First Coming, much less a Second...)

What I find ironic is that, quite often, arrogant Mormons come to their Facebook pages to ridicule and despise them... As if LDS Inc. were sooooo superior, as if Nelson were sooooo better etc.

IMHO, both groups are delusional, but one of them has been around longer and has hoarded a few billion dollars, that's all: no reason to feel special.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.