Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Smiling Dog ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 03:37PM

So I saw this quote that is puported to be from Brigham Young. Is this really from him?

"The government should stay out of the business of the Saints and let us worship according to the dictates of our own conscience. If there ever comes a day when the Saints interfere with the rights of others to live as they see fit, you can know with assurance that the Church is no longer led by a Prophet, but a mere man."

Wow...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 03:39PM

What a prophecy.

Posted by: Heathjh ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 03:40PM

Date: October 29, 2010 03:47PM

I saw it posted on the SL Trib's discussion boards. It is in the article re: the woman sueing LDS Social Services.

If he really said that, we need to quote the hell out of it!

Posted by: gd ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 03:41PM

if that is one of BY quote we need to make signs YES

Posted by: stripp(l)ing voyeur ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 03:48PM

Did a quick google search, and this was the first link that came up....

http://www.fairblog.org/2010/10/08/misquoting-brigham/

Sounds like this quote has been causing some stress lately over there. They said that the owner of the anonymous blog it was posted on has fessed up it was a hoax. Have not found the original blog, yet.

Posted by: stripp(l)ing voyeur ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 03:58PM

Here is the full "quote." As cool as it would be if it were real, I have to go with fake here as the entire quote taken together is just too good to be true:

I am a Prophet of God in this dispensation. I carry on the work that began with Joseph Smith. I led the Saints to the barren Salt Lake Valley and it is where we built Zion, even though Joseph Smith taught the Savior would return in Jackson County Missouri. Monogamous marriage is not the order of heaven, for it is only through polygamy that a man may achieve exaltation. The government should stay out of the lives of the Saints and let us worship and practice our religion according to the dictates of our own conscience. If there ever comes a day when the Saints interfere with the rights of others to live as they see fit, you can know with assurance that the Church is no longer led by a Prophet, but a mere man. The doctrines of this Church are eternal, for they were ordained before the world was and any man who changes these doctrines such as the temple ceremony, or the man who abandons polygamy, or allows blacks the Priesthood of God, is a fallen prophet.

I am Brother Brigham. And I am the voice of God.

Date: October 29, 2010 03:59PM

Damn! It was good while it lasted.

That is too good to be true. Thanks for the info.

SD

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 03:59PM

That is a good quote. It is also kinda funny considering that Brigham was interfering with all kinds of peoples rights, including slaves and Lamanite children. Interfereing with justice after MMM, interfering with Gentiles, interfering with Federal Agents who came to Utah.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.