Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 01:30PM

Joe was one of those giants I was privileged to know and have as a friend for many years. Sadly, he died in a homeless shelter after the Feds seized his bar...

https://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/2020/09/28/joe-redburn-founder-two/

Seriously, Joe often called me "Dear," and I never took offense.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 01:53PM

OMG The Sun Tavern. 1973. Changed my life. Never knew Joe but do know the face.

An excerpt from my story of a friend talking me into going to The Sun while still at BYU. I was scared to death.:

Heading toward the door, my nerves were seismic, the war in heaven apparently being reenacted in my stomach. What was I doing? What the hell did I think I was doing? The Sun Tavern down by the railroad station in Salt Lake City—the seedy part of town in those days. Everything, so far, matched my expectations. The roads were not maintained, the sidewalk was filthy, and the buildings were on the verge of being tagged for teardown. The few streetlamps were far away and dim from grimy glass. The sliver of a moon did little to make up the difference and barely allowed enough glow for us to be sure we had the right building. It was a location scout’s dream if the script called for a stabbing scene or abduction.

And then we walked through the well-worn doors, and the world turned on a dime, like surfacing the water after a cliff dive. The beat of the music was deafening, just as it should be, and everyone was dancing and talking and laughing. The men were all beautiful even before I could see their faces. The teeth and sparkly eyes and heads thrown back or leaning in formed a collage that rearranged my senses. I took this vision in panoramically, and as the raw honesty of this moment washed over me, I saw not one person sitting around hating himself, feeling ashamed. You can keep your God and Jesus flashing Joseph in the woods, because the Sun Tavern that night was more of a revelation than any holy personages glowing and hovering in the air would ever be.

Did you know I’m addicted to wine reviews? Oh, I think I did tell you earlier. It is kind of ironic, considering the first two years I went to the gay bar I only drank Cokes. This is my all-time favorite wine review. I still have the clipping from the New York Times and have always meant to frame it. These words by the Lee brothers capture it all for me and let me reel back in that first moment at the sun Tavern whenever I need to:

"In the glass the wine (an ancient Madeira) had a fudgy color with an olive green glint around the edge. It smelled slightly dusty and foreboding. With trepidation, we sipped: it slipped thinly between the lips and then— snap!—a big, full, brash wine raced for each corner of our palates, gushing oranges, golden raisins, brandied cherries, licorice, mint and maple sugar. an equally vibrant astringency set in, a curried oak and lemon sen- sation that lingered pleasantly for a full five minutes. We literally reeled at the surprise.
—Matt Lee and Ted Lee

Exactly how I felt that night--found my people. Made friends. Felt whole for the first time. Spent so many happy times there. Luckily I had no BYU parking sticker on my car and only found out later BYU security looked for them parked in the area.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 07:02PM

That's a wonderful story, Done & Done. Thank you for sharing it.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 02:23PM

Sad that someone who helped so many was left in dire circumstances at his end.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 02:28PM

+1

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 05:16PM

I tend to look on the bright side.

Like Done & Done, Joe Redburn hopefully had his collection of 'wine reviews' that as long as he was drawing breath, he could pull out to read.

...which is why Altzheimers bothers me so...

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 01, 2020 10:13AM

Very nice thought, EOD. No matter where you end up in the end, hopefully there are some good memories to blow on like embers and spark something nice for a minute or two.

I had no way to appreciate such a person at the time. Wish I could tell him now how much his smile behind the bar and the happy safe atmosphere that he provided mean to me even to this day. Those are some of the coals I breathe on now and then.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 05:51PM

More familiar to me as a host on KTalk Radio for many years.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 06:04PM

The feds seized his bar ?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 01, 2020 10:45AM

That's not what the article said, but who knows?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 01, 2020 10:49AM

Maybe SL Cabbie can tell us more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.